Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

FI: we're not in Kansas anymore...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Yeah I stuck with Osiris / Uprev gt. at my power levels it has been okay... Tuned properly it is quite stable.
Why not upgrade to the HalTech box?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert_K
Why not upgrade to the HalTech box?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Gdriver90
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?
You already have more than enough money into this build. Might as well complete it correctly and make more power.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
If I got a killer deal on one I'd have to seriously look at it-

But with that being said, I actually GOT a killer offer on one and needed to pass on it because my obligations have shifted somewhat. With that new Haltech ECU that has come out for the 6MTs I figured Haltechs would be available for cheap and that IS happening. I wouldn't concern myself with more power so much as just the overall package provided with a full Haltech kit- the safety, the expandability with different systems including water/ meth etc... the stability...

I'm VERY fortunate in that the shop I trust are comfortable and in fact quite capable uprev software tuners- and this coming from the pro tuner from Intec who did the work on my car back in the day...

That debate has been back and forth in this thread and all over the interwebs and I suspect it will continue on. Price was on my mind at the time the build happened but then I also was following some advice in the suggestion "Use the software the guy doing the tune is most comfortable with." Originally I was using COBB, let's not forget... and the fact that Intec runs Uprev pretty much swished me over to that route. Uprev is more than capable of managing my power levels- though I must admit by the time I got it upgraded enough what with boost control, upgraded MAF, cable... I was almost up to the cost of a Haltech anyway. When I look back at it, sitting with a car that could, with a couple more touch ups, probably break 550 (definitely if I had the heads done) or higher (dependent on the trans at that point). I certainly have the supporting mods for those levels-

I need to put my wallet away for a bit and just maintain what I have... learn the uprev software and continue to dabble in it a bit with some mentoring from the boys at MNR. When it comes time to do the heads and complete the build- THEN I think upgrading to Haltech, or moving over to Haltech (whichever way you look at it) will be a responsible decision.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 172 Likes on 135 Posts
Nice time consuming read while I am here at work on Thanksgiving!

I had a few issues with my build so far, nothing along the lines of what you have done but good luck with the continuation of your future goals!

Maybe I should start up a progression thread for mine lol

Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Eno
Some of us take for granted how much you can learn by what someone else goes through. I learned plenty on behalf of the community- and from the community. I felt I owed it something for giving me so much.

I do have an update but can't post it just yet. On an iPhone- need a keyboard!

Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Some of us take for granted how much you can learn by what someone else goes through. I learned plenty on behalf of the community- and from the community. I felt I owed it something for giving me so much.

I do have an update but can't post it just yet. On an iPhone- need a keyboard!
in for numbers! and i ended up selling that haltech with the harness for $1100 lol :P

sold the z too tho haha

Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by ace32x
in for numbers! and i ended up selling that haltech with the harness for $1100 lol :P

sold the z too tho haha
Quitter!

Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Eno
lol no sorry- not THAT kind of update. Haven't been on a dyno for awhile- Updates more pertain to that "simple" boost pipe that came off and was a "simple" fix. Or at least so I thought. Turned out I had two flooded cylinders that required some attention but the boys took care of it. I got away with it but boy... it could have been worse.

Also upgraded to those ES poly bushings... I'd had them from a few months back but never installed them. I've been reasonably impressed with them so far but they do need periodic maintenance.

Got my uprev cable back so I'm plugged back in and trying to get that stuff sorted out. Unfortunately I've forgotten all the stuff I'd learned before so now I have to go back to square one!

I've also discovered those tires I put on the front aren't as friendly to water as I'd read- not sure who said these tires were good on water but I suspect they come from a desert or something. Either that or they're fine and the ES bushings are just transmitting more feel- but I doubt that.

The car is probably in the best shape it's ever been in... I'm looking at updating the wheels but need to make certain I have the money in place to do so... with RE11s on the back- probably 285 35s. Wheels I am looking at tentatively are the Volk GT-Cs... 19" 9.5 / 10.5s- I've been back and forth with the seller a bit so not 100% sure if he'll sell them off before I'm ready but those are what I've got my eyes on. Pretty sure they'll clear the BBK (anyone got any feedback on that)- and the offsets are pretty neutral (Low 20s) so I shouldn't / won't need any spacers.

Anyway- as of now that's all.

Last edited by Eno; 11-30-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert_K
Yeah... Sucks how many shops are out there but how limited we are on quality shops.

Sounds like we are on par with each other. Mind runs just not pasted 10psi. And totally agree that too much $$$ has been dumped to sell. With that said though... If I could go back one year I would sell my car for a brand new CTS-V.

Well good luck!!!!
LOL I could be driving alot of cars for the money i spent I was at the BMW dealership the other day they had an M3 sedan with HRE monoblocks Dinan exhaust, BBK and tune it made me hate my car I did have a guy want to trade me an older CTS-V (not sure what year) it was supercharged but it was the model prior to the factory supercharged ones....wish I took that deal.

Ian do you have a BBK? i could part with my PMu kit for the right $$$$ I am still wavering on parting out/ selling it whole or getting the leaking turbo seal fixed and having the car completed......

Old 11-30-2012, 03:12 AM
Eno
Yes Gord... I'm Wilwood by your advice- remember? lol.

Love 'em, by the way.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Eno
First UOA... I was completely retarded in not realizing the time that passed- though the kilometers were relatively low.

300V isn't a long lasting oil- suffice to say. I'll be interested to see what comes up next time.

The service from blackstone was amazing, quick, and really nicely detailed. Here's a look:

Old 12-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Eno
Been a long time so I thought I'd submit a quick update...

Another UOA... viscosity was high because I misreported it in the first place. Was a pretty heavy 300V sample and I thought it was thinner. Not to mention the fact that it was a "cold-ish" sample.

Car is on stands now... switched oil to a more available and equally reliable Rotella T6 which comes highly recommended from the folks who know big power- including Sylvan.

Still have a really strange issue involving the AFR going pig rich at 110kph (and not 1kph more)... asked some pretty knowledgeable people- even from SpecialtyZ- about it and couldn't get anything conclusive about it (though I'm sure if they plugged into the car it would be different). A lot of it is me trying to explain the issue... but nobody has ever heard of anything like it.

A further note to folks even contemplating going FI because you'd like a little more bounce in your acceleration... or just because you think it'd be "neat," well... it will satiate those needs however it is an ENORMOUS commitment and will likely drain your enthusiasm for the platform.

Last edited by Eno; 12-20-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Eno
Okay! Well, I went to Lightspeed Innovations in Red Deer, Alberta and Cam Koole came for a ride with me and smoothed out the hole that existed.

We took a quick spin around and I explained to him that it seemed to happen around 2600rpm... in 5th gear at 110kph or so. He had me do a quick rip around in 2nd gear to see if we could replicate, and we could. He did some magic on Cipher / Osiris (whatever)... and flashed my ECU. We went for a spin in 2nd- piglet AFR was gone. Went out on the highway... 110... 120...130... gone!

Fricken finally! After a year... it's like I have a new car- and one that can drive over 110kph!

Kudos to Cam at Lightspeed for getting it figured out!

Old 11-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Back from the dead Ian are you still around? Still have the car?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FI: we're not in Kansas anymore...