Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

FI: we're not in Kansas anymore...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:52 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Okay boys... well a few updates and some pics.

A couple remarks for those of you thinking about the Greddy TiC Turbo exhaust- the rather unique 2.75" exhaust. Looks sharp, fits reasonably well- requires the relocation of the evap cannister... guys talk about that in other threads regarding this exhaust and while a hiccup of sorts didn't seem to be a problem. I am getting constant CELs from it and a consistent code regarding a evap cannister problem... the guys at the shop tried to take the line sizes out of the line to the cannister but this hasn't helped as I recently got another CEL despite the change.

Additionally... it's a WEEEEEE bit on the loud side for me. I can't completely fault the exhaust as I do have those custom downpipes (3") and I'm sure they play their part in raising the volume a bit. It SOUNDS awesome- don't get me wrong... but I spend a lot of my time at cruising speeds in highway driving and at a certain note there is a resonance that is hard to tolerate. I'm not sure if I'd even call it drone- maybe that's what people mean when they say their exhaust drones. Around 2500 rpm things start to get loud without really getting louder. Under slight load, the resonance gets worse- while under heavier load no problems at all. Stepping into it, the sound is ferocious- love it. Need to tone it down a bit, however... and replacing existing resonators in the exhaust with some from magnaflow- or something more specialized for the task has been recommended. I'm on the prowl for such tie in components if anyone has recommendations as always I'm all eyes.

Most intriguing to me, however, is this intermittent but regular whistle / hum that I seem to have picked up since the exhaust was installed. Strangely, though most (including myself and the shop) assume it's the exhaust- given that it was since then that I noticed it. I passed it off as a leak in the exhaust and the guys said they'd tighten it up... A lot of the other little hisses and annoying farts are gone... but this whistle remains.

The boys probed the length of the exhaust and insist whatever it is is not the exhaust. To be specific about the location it is very evident to be around the passenger side... kind of mid level front behind the dash. It starts around 1800-2400 rpm- and I notice that it sticks around regardless of whether the gas is depressed at all... Once it drops below that RPM- the sound goes away... only to return upon the ever so slightest touch of the gas (to over 1800-2400... where I think the sound continues but it gets drowned out by the exhaust noise- which starts to resonate around that time.)

Anyway- if this rings a bell for anyone shout out for me, will ya?

To other guys looking at going to FI- you'll likely spend some time on the dyno. A lot of time... hours, and hours, and hours in some cases (mine) and your pinion bearings apparently take a lot of abuse. I could hear mine grinding like crazy by the time I got the car into the shop the last time. Fortunately, the keen ear of the boys at MNR picked out the developing sound when they got my car on the dyno the last time... so they ordered the parts for me well in advance. Try as I might, I couldn't hear it originally... but sure enough as time passed and I got to drive the car a bit more (when the weather started to warm up) the grinding became VERY apparent. Anyway- we got the new parts and MNR installed them... problem solved. In fact, because they said they should have done them when they put the Quaife in (but didn't have the parts at the time) they did the install for free.

That was pretty stand-up of them considering they know full well I wouldn't have known any better. They explained to me that if they'd been able to do the bearings when they did the Quaife, it wouldn't have cost extra in labor. At least, this is what I understood from what they told me. Anyway- for the cost of parts, the bearings were replaced. No complaints here either way.

Additionally... got my Nifty Shifty boot installed as well as a burnt titanium shift **** (by Sean / sxexcx)... Adds a nice flaire to the cabin... sorry about the dust- I haven't had a chance to get down and dirty with the season's first deep clean. Have his round stainless PSF and Coolant Overflow reservoire waiting as well... They look disGusting.

Also... MNR fussed with the oil cooler that was driving me a bit crazy with it's crooked fit. I know most said it was barely noticeable... but it was annoying and they knew I wanted it fixed. It is as straight as it can get and it looks great! Kudos to MonkeyNutz once again!

They also got the wastegates tightened up... which I'm wondering might have something to do with this whistle I'm talking about before? Would a leaking wastegate be consistent with the sound- or would it be SO obvious that someone who knew something about it would immediately go there to look?

Anyway- a couple of photos! (I know... some have been posted elsewhere!)

Last edited by Eno; 05-25-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Are you sure that whistling/hissing isn't just air passing through the exhaust?

Last edited by herrschaft; 05-25-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Car looks awesome, Eno, still waiting to see it (post-FI) in person!

The following users liked this post:
Eno (05-27-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Eno
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Are you sure that whistling/hissing isn't just air passing through the exhaust?
Yeah- like I said they probed the whole length of the exhaust with the stethescope and it was clear... It sounds forward of the turbo... makes me wonder if a coupler has wiggled free up there? Figure if it was something that simple these guys at MNR would have figured it out. It's quite a conundrum!

Swivel! You have been busy too I noticed... I'm hoping to get back to AB... but- I just don't know when it'll happen

Old 05-27-2012, 06:52 AM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
nice work so far!

Eno (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
I havent looked in here for a bit, good to see all is well

I went with a 3" exhaust that has straight through Aero turbine resonators and mufflers, it drones like a **** at 120km/hr, my wife hates the car now...but it does sound mean when I open it up!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Eno
I knew it was going to get louder but... damn- the idea of going with the 2.75 was that I'd get a bit more flow and save myself from the big bump in noise.

I just need to knock it down a peg... Just one notch. The noise I can handle but that resonance in the cab is a deal breaker. I'm wondering if upgrading the existing resonators is a viable solution but I guess it's tough to ask that question to a bunch of guys who haven't sat in the car. I guess there's nothing left to do but stop being a cheapskate and try it.

I'm reading about magnaflow resonators- are those the best?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:16 AM
Eno
Talked to the shop about a few things and one of the interesting suggestions was the new low profile race mufflers- either a 5" long or the 9" (if it fits) on the actual 3" downpipe itself. That was a great suggestion- and we're definitely going to be taking a look into that soonest.

If that doesn't work then we'll look at upgrading those resonators in the middle...

My only concern about doing TOO much is that then suddenly all the benefits of the 2.75" exhaust are lost... I don't mind it being a bit loud- don't get me wrong... but that low pitched resonance (maybe what you guys call drone) is ear piercing and even makes talking a bit weird- like talking through a fan.

Also I've been thinking a lot about going with red couplers. I know the whole colour matching thing isn't for everyone but I really think it'd look sharp in there. I've narrowed down the following sizes in case anyone else is thinking the same thing.

Associated part numbers and dimensions:

H1A: 80mm x 17/8 or 4" OAL (not 100% sure what that means lol)
H2R/L: 2.25
H3R: 2.25
H5R: 2x3
H11A: 2.5-3x4
H12A: 3

(H6R: 2x3L- This is less visible, and tucked in behind the PSF and coolant overflow.)

These are quite easily found in the instructions- but hey... for those of you who want to put it together maybe this makes it that much easier.

Also... I've gotten really sick of reading all this stuff about Osiris and not being able to apply it ANYWHERE so the hunt is on for a reasonably priced Cipher cable- I'm too much of a computer geek to not get into it.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Talked to the shop about a few things and one of the interesting suggestions was the new low profile race mufflers- either a 5" long or the 9" (if it fits) on the actual 3" downpipe itself. That was a great suggestion- and we're definitely going to be taking a look into that soonest.

If that doesn't work then we'll look at upgrading those resonators in the middle...

My only concern about doing TOO much is that then suddenly all the benefits of the 2.75" exhaust are lost... I don't mind it being a bit loud- don't get me wrong... but that low pitched resonance (maybe what you guys call drone) is ear piercing and even makes talking a bit weird- like talking through a fan.

Also I've been thinking a lot about going with red couplers. I know the whole colour matching thing isn't for everyone but I really think it'd look sharp in there. I've narrowed down the following sizes in case anyone else is thinking the same thing.

Associated part numbers and dimensions:

H1A: 80mm x 17/8 or 4" OAL (not 100% sure what that means lol)
H2R/L: 2.25
H3R: 2.25
H5R: 2x3
H11A: 2.5-3x4
H12A: 3

(H6R: 2x3L- This is less visible, and tucked in behind the PSF and coolant overflow.)

These are quite easily found in the instructions- but hey... for those of you who want to put it together maybe this makes it that much easier.

Also... I've gotten really sick of reading all this stuff about Osiris and not being able to apply it ANYWHERE so the hunt is on for a reasonably priced Cipher cable- I'm too much of a computer geek to not get into it.

hey man for the cipher cable msg seymore!

Eno (12-23-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Received 136 Likes on 62 Posts
I have the exact same exhaust so I know what you mean, I can't tell if mine whistles because the super charger does that pretty loud already but it was weird that I hear the super charger wine in my exhaust too so maybe that is what you are talking about. Also in regards to the drone, I put the silencers in that it came with.. That cured everything... At the cost of some power, I'm just going to have my tuner make me a map for each do I can take them out when I go to the track.

Also I kept blowing out the gaskets so I'm in the process of switching all the couplers to vband clamps.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
the drone on my exhaust actually makes my wife nauseous at around 1800-2000rpm if it stays there for 10-20 minutes. And that's exactly what we mean when we say drone. It's not "loud," but it resonates at a certain frequency/rpm and creates a condition that's impossible to think, talk over, etc.

LOUD would be my car at... oh... 2500rpm and up. LOL And at that point, it's everyone OUTside the car that's plugging their ears and hiding their babies.

Thankfully, I rarely see 1800 rpm unless I'm on my way to bigger and better things.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:33 AM
Eno
Thrilla: Already on it! Saw his post in the marketplace and I'm working that angle. Sucks to have to pay duty over the border (ESPECIALLY given the background I have with the border) but so be it. They're just not available up here.

SexyRob: I'm not sure what you're doing for downpipes but I'm pretty sure the 3" I have coming down is exacerbating things... We'll know for sure when I get these "racing mufflers" welded in. Reason is those silencers are already in there and things are still rugged. Then there may need to be a bit of experimentation to see exactly how good those race mufflers are- These are the ones pointed out:

Magnaflow #14419 http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=10164
or Vibrant # 1795 http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...1022_1033_1054

The downpipe muffler he suggested:

Just thought of something way better. We could put mini race mufflers in the downpipes, I'd have to see if the 9" long model would fit or else there's a 5" model aswell. http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...1022_1032_1257

Prison: My gf is pretty patient and by the time she's even saying anything about it I know she's WAY past tolerating it... so it's time for me to act! A lot easier to justify mods etc on the car when she loves being in it but since I got the new exhaust she wants to take her *moan* Element or my 99 Dodge Ram instead. Now instead of "That looks coooool" she says "ANOTHER gadget?" followed by a week of headaches and not being in the mood.

Okay, maybe I'm exagerating a little (3 days, not a week) but you get the idea.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Premier Member

Received 417 Likes on 336 Posts
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Thrilla: Already on it! Saw his post in the marketplace and I'm working that angle. Sucks to have to pay duty over the border (ESPECIALLY given the background I have with the border) but so be it. They're just not available up here.
Too bad there aren't more guys up there interested, we could do a group buy or something and save everybody a bunch of money... I've shipped a bunch of stuff to canada recently, and it would cost around $25 to ship a single cipher cable up there (priority with tracking).. so that's not exactly an appealing option

Old 05-30-2012, 01:38 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Ship it USPS, all of my small stuff and even my BBK came USPS.

Let us know how the race mufflers go, I need to do something as well it's pretty bad on the hi way.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I have a friend that goes above and beyond to make sure that he has about as little noise inside the cabin of his G as possible. He installed a Magnaflow resonated X pipe and swears by it.

Granted, he's not FI yet, so I'm not sure what sizes they come in, or what your exact exhaust configuration is for equalization, but it's worth looking into if you can't make the race mufflers fit.

and I understand completely. My wife is like "why don't we take my G instead tonight...." or if we're going on a trip: ".... really, we're taking YOUR car? *sigh*"
lol But for all the rough ride and noise and trouble, she still loves it when I lay into it getting onto the interstate, or when we pass a little kid in the back of a car and he plasters his face to the window to see the car as long as he can, wide-eyed and excited. A big smile comes across her face and I know at that moment........ I married well. haha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FI: we're not in Kansas anymore...