Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

1 of 1 FMIC fascia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Wow . . .now that looks AWESOME. I gotta see this thing done! (subscribing)

-drew-

Old 08-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks awesome, can't wait to see it on the car

Old 08-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah Kev.

I hate you again.

First dibs on the KP Front Bumper Group Buy!

Old 08-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool stuff. When do you anticipate finishing the work on the car?

Old 08-30-2005, 06:39 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The bumper should be finished by the end of today, but I'm out of town so I won't be able to pick it up until this weekend.

Then, I still have to swap my wastegates, retorque my arp studs, fix an oil leak, buy some new rims/tires and I'm done!

Old 08-30-2005, 08:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm.. i do have a stock front bumper laying around and a extra nismo to work with.. thanks for the idea.. looks great

Old 08-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Man with green rock in Vortech
kevin the bumper looks awesome..

is your body guy going to cut the "box" down a bit in the back, or is it actually supposed to mount directly up to the FMIC and flow to it only? Looks like the guy does some awesome work, he could probably make some good money making a handful of those and selling them at $800-1000.00.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Banned
I had actually asked him to NOT fill in the top of the box so that air could go over the IC to the radiator. Once he did 'box' it in I asked if he was going to allow for any air flow over the top and he pointed out that plenty of air will still flow through my stock front grill and that cutting the top of the box would only weaken the entire box.

The bumper itself was lined up perfectly to my IC so it sits totally flush against it.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:13 AM
Man with green rock in Vortech
Originally Posted by KPierson
I had actually asked him to NOT fill in the top of the box so that air could go over the IC to the radiator. Once he did 'box' it in I asked if he was going to allow for any air flow over the top and he pointed out that plenty of air will still flow through my stock front grill and that cutting the top of the box would only weaken the entire box.

The bumper itself was lined up perfectly to my IC so it sits totally flush against it.
I thought about it a I was posting and air still flows THROUGH the FMIC, so it will still hit the radiator. I was just curious if that was the design intention, to have it flow directly to the FMIC and create a form of induction?

Old 08-30-2005, 11:17 AM
Banned
The goal was to allow 100% air flow to the IC, as every bit of air possible as it will help cool the air compressed by the two turbos. In order to have an OEM appearance I feel that is is necesarry to have a bumper cover that is molded around the IC perfectly, and that is where this whole project started. I never really thought about the possibility of induction, but I guess with the shape of the hole that is is possible that MORE air will be directed through the FMIC. It would be cool to do testing on the cooling of the IC and the radiator before and after this mod, but unfortunately I don't have the time or equipment to take any measurements.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:33 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by turbomaxima
kevin the bumper looks awesome..

is your body guy going to cut the "box" down a bit in the back, or is it actually supposed to mount directly up to the FMIC and flow to it only? Looks like the guy does some awesome work, he could probably make some good money making a handful of those and selling them at $800-1000.00.
$800-$1000? That TS territory. For that, would there be a $500 core refund? I send him mine and he sends me one modified for $400-$500 total?

Old 08-30-2005, 11:47 AM
Banned
Randy (and others),

Remember if we do sell these that they are hand built, low production, custom fascias using urethane welding. I would think a fair price on something like this would be around $800, and that INCLUDES painting. I was planning on spending $1000 on mine at the beginning. Besides the OEM look its nice knowing that I have the ONLY bumper like this in existance. You won't have to worry about seeing another fascia like this at a meet, I would also like to limit the number made to 10, if at all possible (I say that knowing that anyone can contact him directly and work something out I'm sure)

Materials needed:

Front bumper (core charge would be imposed I would imagine, I dunno)
Sheets of Urethane (We used older bumper covers from a Celica and a Del Sol)
Three step Urethane Weld product (expensive the body man told me)
Bondo and filler to level and fill pin holes
Lots of hours of sanding, preping, and priming
Paint, and paint finishing

He started on my car early last week and spend roughly a week total of working on it. Although it was not constant work (waiting for stuff to set up, dry, etc.). Now that I know there is interest in this I'll talk to him again and see what he will charge per bumper. My major concern is the overall fitment when using different FMICs though. I brought this up to Mike (the body guy) and he said he could make the 'box' not as deep, so that all ICs will fit behind the bumper, but I dunno. I wish there were more local FI'd Gs.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:34 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by KPierson
Randy (and others),

Remember if we do sell these that they are hand built, low production, custom fascias using urethane welding. I would think a fair price on something like this would be around $800, and that INCLUDES painting. I was planning on spending $1000 on mine at the beginning. Besides the OEM look its nice knowing that I have the ONLY bumper like this in existance. You won't have to worry about seeing another fascia like this at a meet, I would also like to limit the number made to 10, if at all possible (I say that knowing that anyone can contact him directly and work something out I'm sure)

Materials needed:

Front bumper (core charge would be imposed I would imagine, I dunno)
Sheets of Urethane (We used older bumper covers from a Celica and a Del Sol)
Three step Urethane Weld product (expensive the body man told me)
Bondo and filler to level and fill pin holes
Lots of hours of sanding, preping, and priming
Paint, and paint finishing

He started on my car early last week and spend roughly a week total of working on it. Although it was not constant work (waiting for stuff to set up, dry, etc.). Now that I know there is interest in this I'll talk to him again and see what he will charge per bumper. My major concern is the overall fitment when using different FMICs though. I brought this up to Mike (the body guy) and he said he could make the 'box' not as deep, so that all ICs will fit behind the bumper, but I dunno. I wish there were more local FI'd Gs.
keep me posted. in my case, I would only need it prepped for paint cuz I'm doing a color change anyway.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Nice design... now it'll be copied and you will feel how Top Secret feels about it... $hitty..

Old 08-30-2005, 01:39 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
come on quit your job already and get back to dayton and let us see what the finished porduct looks like

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1 of 1 FMIC fascia