Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

1 of 1 FMIC fascia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Would you want your core done? I guess that would be the main question. I have a bumper cover in my garage that he should start on within the next two weeks. I was going to plan on using all new fascias, that way we know the condition and he isn't tied up fixing up curb rash, chips, and scratches (like on mine ). I think if you shipped us your cover we could lower the price by the actual cost of the fascia, but it may raise the price a little if extra work was needed. This is all getting very confusing!!!!

Old 09-06-2005, 06:05 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson
Would you want your core done? I guess that would be the main question. I have a bumper cover in my garage that he should start on within the next two weeks. I was going to plan on using all new fascias, that way we know the condition and he isn't tied up fixing up curb rash, chips, and scratches (like on mine ). I think if you shipped us your cover we could lower the price by the actual cost of the fascia, but it may raise the price a little if extra work was needed. This is all getting very confusing!!!!
you have a PM

Old 09-06-2005, 06:05 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
btw, how much of your main brace did you have to cut/modify...can this be done with modifying the main brace?

Old 09-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Banned
I'm missing the entire mid section of the brace. It in my intention to weld something over the top of the cutout. I am not positive, but I believe that this opening will be too big to retain the stock brace. If I remember right the stock brace went right over the top of my FMIC.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Great job on a unique bumper! Couple of comments:

1) Add black mesh to the new opening. Will give it a much more "stock" look and I think an overall better look to the car. It will also provide protection to the FMIC. A large rock at the right speed will puncture the FMIC. Is the new opening touching the FMIC? It looks like it in the pics.

2) Find a solution for the brace. I know you are working on it. This is an important safety feature and is one of the turnoffs of the Greddy front facia IMHO.

Dave

Old 09-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Man with green rock in Vortech
Originally Posted by WhatUpG_35
A large rock at the right speed will puncture the FMIC.
It will just bounce right off the mesh though, right?

I've owned two cars now with FMIC's, my last one had a 40x9x4 intercooler that was nearly 90% exposed and it never had any "large rocks puncture it." For that matter, shouldn't we have some mesh around our headlights and windshield so "large rocks" don't "puncture" them either? Kind of a silly thing to worry about if you ask me.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Banned
I'm not too worried about the front mount being exposed. Numerous vehicles have exposed radiators from the factory, and they don't seem to have a problem. The hardest part is going to be keeping the fins clean and straight. I've already spent probably 2 hours straightening them once!

Old 09-07-2005, 10:30 AM
+1. If a rock that big hits your car get off the mountain cause there's about to be some kind of landslide/earthquake. It is extremely difficult(not impossible though) to puncture a hole in an intercooler. Most of the time when something hits it, it just bends fins and they are easily bent back. If it punctures the intercooler then it could have punctured your bumper as well.
Originally Posted by turbomaxima

I've owned two cars now with FMIC's, my last one had a 40x9x4 intercooler that was nearly 90% exposed and it never had any "large rocks puncture it." For that matter, shouldn't we have some mesh around our headlights and windshield so "large rocks" don't "puncture" them either? Kind of a silly thing to worry about if you ask me.

Old 09-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by turbomaxima

To each his own. I have seen it happen before. Plus, I personally think the car will look better with it.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kevin:

Awesome job! Original and not over-the-top. I can't wait to see day pics.

BTW, are you running an OEM radiator or an aftermarket offering?

Old 09-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
Kevin:

Awesome job! Original and not over-the-top. I can't wait to see day pics.

BTW, are you running an OEM radiator or an aftermarket offering?
Hey whats up! I had the Koyo 350Z radiator installed. This Saturday I have a photoshoot setup with someone who acutally has a little camera talant. The car will be clean, and in prime condition for some good shots.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:48 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by KPierson
Hey whats up! I had the Koyo 350Z radiator installed. This Saturday I have a photoshoot setup with someone who acutally has a little camera talant. The car will be clean, and in prime condition for some good shots.
Can't wait!

Old 09-08-2005, 12:58 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Kevin, ignore the poorly modified pic, but what do you think of the dif I made?

The first of each is your shot and the second is mine:

Attached Thumbnails 1 of 1 FMIC fascia-bumper2t2.jpg   1 of 1 FMIC fascia-bumper2t.jpg   1 of 1 FMIC fascia-bumper4t2.jpg   1 of 1 FMIC fascia-bumper4t.jpg  
Old 09-08-2005, 01:03 AM
Quality work, but i think it is missing something. Carbon Fiber splitters? I think when you drop it and put some rims on there it'll make a world of difference. Although I definitely agree that form should always follow function. Good work!

Old 09-08-2005, 01:21 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
also, have you measured to make sure the OEM lip with still fit at the bottom?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1 of 1 FMIC fascia