Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

1 of 1 FMIC fascia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Man with green rock in Vortech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
randy i would stray away from that second hole you made.. i think it would look really out of place. the reason i say this, is that 4th generation maxima's come stock with a large radiator hole and then a smaller hole above it (same length). it is almost everyone's biggest qualm with that front end and i think it would take away from the cleanliness of the front end of this car.

if anything i think you should reduce the overall height of the large hole for the FMIC and focus on the fitament of a front lip on the bumper. i think you would be much more pleased with how the bumper looks aesthetically and you won't loose any function.

Last edited by turbomaxima; 09-08-2005 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turbomaxima
randy i would stray away from that second hole you made..
Could you please elaborate on the '2nd hole' statement? I only see three holes - the two vents and the intercooler opening.

Randy,

The modded pictures look exactly how I envisioned them. The smaller opening will definately fit your IC better, and will most likely help in creating a more OEM look. One thing that I did think of though, is what should we do about the tow hook? You said that the opening should swing down under the bumper brace. Well, the towhook eylet is welded on the bottom. With the new fascia it won't be feasable to keep the eyelet, as there won't be access to it. It would be possible to cut it off and grind it down, but is that something you want to do?

Old 09-08-2005, 01:13 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by KPierson
Could you please elaborate on the '2nd hole' statement? I only see three holes - the two vents and the intercooler opening.

Randy,

The modded pictures look exactly how I envisioned them. The smaller opening will definately fit your IC better, and will most likely help in creating a more OEM look. One thing that I did think of though, is what should we do about the tow hook? You said that the opening should swing down under the bumper brace. Well, the towhook eylet is welded on the bottom. With the new fascia it won't be feasable to keep the eyelet, as there won't be access to it. It would be possible to cut it off and grind it down, but is that something you want to do?
I don't use the tow hook anyway...didn't think of that...couldn't see it the night I was on the phone with you...I'll take a look. Any numbers?

Old 09-08-2005, 01:14 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by turbomaxima
randy i would stray away from that second hole you made.. i think it would look really out of place. the reason i say this, is that 4th generation maxima's come stock with a large radiator hole and then a smaller hole above it (same length). it is almost everyone's biggest qualm with that front end and i think it would take away from the cleanliness of the front end of this car.

if anything i think you should reduce the overall height of the large hole for the FMIC and focus on the fitament of a front lip on the bumper. i think you would be much more pleased with how the bumper looks aesthetically and you won't loose any function.
Yeah, what second hole? All I did was lower the size of the opening to better suite the Vortech FMIC and give it a sleeker look...elaborate...

Old 09-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Banned
I will talk to the guy this weekend. I'm stuck in Chicago all week, so there isn't much I can do right now!

Old 09-08-2005, 01:22 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
also, do you plan I getting your OEM front lip any time soon? If not, I might want to send him my lip to make sure the fitment for the lip is perfect since he modifies those outsie inlets. The OEM lip follows the bottom of those inlets and I want to make sure it still will. If you has yours there, he can test it, but if you are planning on waiting to get yours, I'll send him mine.

See in the pic how the lip follows that line...the bottom opening of the box should be just above that lip line...

Attached Thumbnails 1 of 1 FMIC fascia-7.jpg  
Old 09-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Banned
It would probably be best to send it, I don't plan on getting one any time soon, if at all. Also, I could probably have him mold the lip to the bumper so that there is no seam. That would make the lip look 100xs better, in my oppinion.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:14 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
It would probably be best to send it, I don't plan on getting one any time soon, if at all. Also, I could probably have him mold the lip to the bumper so that there is no seam. That would make the lip look 100xs better, in my oppinion.
Actually, that's where we'll disagree. I think the black rubber seam between the bumper and the lip add an accent to the lip that makes it stand out...I'd rather leave the seam. Plus, that would probaby add to the cost...

Old 09-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Banned
Cool, not a problem.

Old 09-08-2005, 04:06 PM

Randy,

About the tow hook.
I'm doing it with my Stillen and it would work with your bumper as well.
a) remove the bracket from the bottom.
b) re-attach in the "front" face of the bumper brace , facing down about mid way up the brace. All you gotta do is remove some of the foam material around the new area, there is plenty of gap between the bumper brace and the facia surface.
c) cut a small downward facing hole in the facia just under the new mounting hole.

This allows the OEM tow hook to be screwed in , just pointing downward into the opening ,and you can't see the new hole from the front or any standing position. This location makes it possible to winch the G up onto a flatbed without risk of bumper or spoiler damage. It also allows you to alternatively mount a front L-plate without new visible holes if you ever need to.

Last edited by g3po; 09-08-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:34 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by g3po
About the tow hook.
I'm doing it with my Stillen and it would work with your bumper as well.
a) remove the bracket fromt he bottom.
b) re-attach in the "front" face of the bumper brace , facing down about mid way up the brace. All you gotta do siu remove some of the foam amterial aroinf the new area, there is plenty of gap between the bumper brace and the facia face.
c) cut a small downward facing hole in the facia just under the new mounting hole.

This allows the OEM tow hook to be screwed in , just pointing downward into the opening ,and you can't see the new hole from the front or any standing position. This location makes it possible to winch the G up onto a flatbed witout risk of bumper or spoiler damage. It also allow you to alternatively mount a front L-plate without new visible holes if you ever need to.
pics?

Old 09-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Banned
Good idea! I was also thinking it may be possible to just flip the bumper brace upside down. Then, if you ever need the tow hook you could pop the fascia off (15 minutes) and still use the tow hook. I like the idea of putting it down, if that is possible. Unfortunately for me, I don't have anything to bolt it to right now anyway! I was hoping in the beginning to relocate the eylet to one of the side openings, but I don't think that would work out too well at this point.

Old 09-08-2005, 05:43 PM
well then it was just a bad photoshop i guess

haha.. sorry, i thought you were trying to add a hole about the fmic, i am glad you are not. definitely keep the front lip on there.

Old 09-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Banned
Randy and I came to the conclusion the other night that the Vortech IC is about half as tall as the APS IC. Therefore, the opening can be about half as tall as mine. Randy was trying to illustrate what we were talking about to make sure we were both on the same page. Randy, if you get a chance meausre how wide the IC is, we may have to make the IC opening a different size!

Old 09-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Randy and I came to the conclusion the other night that the Vortech IC is about half as tall as the APS IC. Therefore, the opening can be about half as tall as mine. Randy was trying to illustrate what we were talking about to make sure we were both on the same page. Randy, if you get a chance meausre how wide the IC is, we may have to make the IC opening a different size!
It all makes sense now... nice of you to let him use your guy and share the wealth.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1 of 1 FMIC fascia