Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Stillen vs Vortech. Pro's and Con's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 02:27 PM
English dude, English
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stillen vs Vortech. Pro's and Con's

I narrowed it down to Stillen and Vortech for the SC. I decided not to go TT or ST just for maintenance issues and because it wont allow me to do the install myself.

I know that the pro's to Stillen are:

1. Reliability
2. Decent amount of HP
3. Torque is there right away
4. Warranty

The con's to Stillen are:

1. HP and TQ won't be what the Vortech could be
2. Have to purchase the Stillen hood and have it painted

What I don't know is the pro's and con's to Vortech except...

The pro's to Vortech are???

1. Great HP and TQ???

The con's to Vortech are???

1. Have to tune it???
2. Blown engines???

Help me out with these pro's and con's.

I am a junkie when it comes to power, however, I am in a new state and really don't have the contacts needed to make an informative decision.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in the same boat but have decided upon the Stillen. The Vortech does have more PEAK power, but its the average power throughout the entire powerband that wins races. Plus the Stillen twin-screw is a quieter and more efficient compressor. The only disadvantage I see with the Stillen is the hood, but its not that big of a deal really.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:50 PM
If $$ is not issue...go with Stillen stage 4...you'll get the hp & torque = vortech but way much linear & better

Old 03-21-2006, 02:59 PM
I suppose it all depends on where you want the power in your powerband.

low and midrange is important but when you're racing you're actually mostly in the high rpm range so the vortech wins in that regard.

Even for road courses, you'll be generally in the 4k-redline range.

Stillen is probably more fun around town. But when you get on it, it'll start running out of breath up high compared to the vortech

When you shift at redline on a manual Z, the rpms drop down to 5k. That's a little past the stillen's peak torque where it starts dropping but right where the vortech is starting to haul ***.

the stillen can be more evened out with some breathing mods with gaining high end hp. The vortech is harder to gain low end torque with, but people generally just try to stay out of low rpms by using a light clutch and keeping the car in the higher powerband (when racing or driving hard)

Old 03-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Stillen has more power under the curve but unless you want to race 1/4 miles all your life then it is not the one that will win races, this has been debated to death plenty of times, you need to do a quick search.

Also there is a project going on to get the power for the Vortech to kick in quicker.

My power kicks in around 3.8k-4k and I never drop anywhere near that when I shift whilst racing.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:46 PM
stillen has the stage 4 that keeps pulling until about 6500 rpm. it's a nice set up, and the power is immediate. i think it's said best,.... depending upone your wants and desire... what do you want the car to do..... if you're a typical daily driver and you want to zip around town with pick up power, go stillen... if you like to race people on highways, and you like high speed.... go vortech......
Vortech more hp, noisy, tune needed, gauges ( if you want to know what's going on), change filter every 3 K miles, no low end torque....

stillen: immediate power, plug and play, no tune, ugly hood ( although i like it makes the car looks more aggressive,,,,, i have a lot of people commenting and loving the hood), no filter change, low hp compared to vortech, quieter then vortech.........

so it depends why you want fi.............

Old 03-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by luongdmd
stillen has the stage 4 that keeps pulling until about 6500 rpm. it's a nice set up, and the power is immediate. i think it's said best,.... depending upone your wants and desire... what do you want the car to do..... if you're a typical daily driver and you want to zip around town with pick up power, go stillen... if you like to race people on highways, and you like high speed.... go vortech......
Vortech more hp, noisy, tune needed, gauges ( if you want to know what's going on), change filter every 3 K miles, no low end torque....

stillen: immediate power, plug and play, no tune, ugly hood ( although i like it makes the car looks more aggressive,,,,, i have a lot of people commenting and loving the hood), no filter change, low hp compared to vortech, quieter then vortech.........

so it depends why you want fi.............
I don't think a normal SC whine is that noisy?? gauges....what gauges I have had mine for 36,000 miles with no gauges, but guages do look nice if you have them change filter??? which filter, if it's the K&N then just clean it.
Plug and play if you stick to the stock settings just like the Stillen but once you upgrade then any kit would need tuning.......

Skyline_G35, the last thing which you mentioned was your a power junkie and the vortech is just that, you can upgrade the blower so easily and get even more power, Stillen will never be able to match that...well not in my life time

Old 03-21-2006, 04:03 PM
English dude, English
"Why" is a great question.

I am not into breaking the law but I do run my car hard daily. On average I usually drive 50/50 for city/highway. I do my occasional race at the light but I know that if I was to have a FI then I would be down at the 1/4 strip. I want (no flaming) to be able to beat the majority of the cars out on the road like the Sti, Evo, SRT-4 etc.

This is my honest feelings, and I don't condone racing on the roads, but occasionally I do like those bragging rights of spanking some of the cars out on the road.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:06 PM
people who bash the stillen based on 1/4 mile times...how do you guys explain the black stillen G35 coupe that ran a 12.9 on (stock 18s)?? I have yet to see many Vortech G35s break 13s consistently....btw the video of this stillen G35 was posted on streetfire not too long ago....and I am not 100% what stage but I want to say a Stage 3 Stillen S/C...

I know neffster had a helluva time in the 13s and I know Randys_G also ran in the 13s (with heavy 19s of course)....

Old 03-21-2006, 04:09 PM
English dude, English
Urban,

The vortech is plug and play in stock form as well?

That you know, has there been any motor failures due to the Vortech?

I do have the Stillen true dual exhaust on my sedan, so does that effect the plug and play of the vortech? What is the horsepower setting in stock form for the Vortech?

Old 03-21-2006, 04:12 PM
English dude, English
Originally Posted by pdjafari
people who bash the stillen based on 1/4 mile times...how do you guys explain the black stillen G35 coupe that ran a 12.9 on (stock 18s)?? I have yet to see many Vortech G35s break 13s consistently....btw the video of this stillen G35 was posted on streetfire not too long ago....and I am not 100% what stage but I want to say a Stage 3 Stillen S/C...

I know neffster had a helluva time in the 13s and I know Randys_G also ran in the 13s (with heavy 19s of course)....
Did helluva and Randys_G run with Stillen or Vortech. I would love to get into the 12's.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm not trying to make things more confusing, but what about the ATI Procharger?

Old 03-21-2006, 04:22 PM
English dude, English
Originally Posted by bwassul
I'm not trying to make things more confusing, but what about the ATI Procharger?
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for throwing that out there, but I just want to consider the 2 that I have chosen. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Skyline_G35
Did helluva and Randys_G run with Stillen or Vortech. I would love to get into the 12's.
lol, i meant 'hell of a'...as in 'hell of a time'...sorry for the slang...

Randy ran a vortech but I know he ran w/ his heavy 19s (Piaas) Neffster also had some issues getting into 12s but I think maybe launching and traction played a role in his case.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:29 PM
First I am not bashing the Stillen at all, they have their pros and cons just like any other kit out there. Just stay away from ATI
The vortech is plug and play out of the box as I had mine like this for 6,000 miles before I wanted to upgrade the pulley.

Not any people I know whohave the vortech go to the track I do plan on this someday but it is always a time thing, not saying that 12.9 is slow but just breaking 13's is still slow in any car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen vs Vortech. Pro's and Con's