The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Hmmmmm . . . so I went into the dealer and I was nearly 2 full quarts low. The QC guy comes out and we start talking and he tells me that Infiniti is now acknowledging the problem and they are going to issue a TSB. I guess they figured out the problem. He says that it's NOT the piston rings so there really is no need to change the short block. It's a vacuum issue with the engine sucking up a lot of oil after 3500 rpm. As far as the valvetrain, he says the way it is built now a days, they can run on almost NO oil and still be fine. He's pretty sure it is fine. I am very skeptical right now and a little bit annoyed. He said he is going to contact Infiniti to see what they say. I'm not so sure I am going to be happy with them just "fixing" it. But I guess I have to wait to see what they say.

FUNK THAT noise!.. My engine WILL run out of oil and cease before I let them screw me out of a new long block. I REFUSE to believe that Metal on metal contact of having a car 5 quarts low isn't a problem and won't be a problem. The can kiss my **** on that one..
I will talk to my dealer about it and if I must then i'll have to fight for my rights to a new engine. There is no way in He11 you can tell me that driving the car with nearly 0 oil in it doesn't cause long term damage, not to mention the clogged cats, glogged mufflers, and screwed up O2 sensors of burned oil.
I don't know about you guys but that sounds like a load of crap to me.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Yup. Well, according to the QC guy at Infiniti of Glendale, Infiniti is aware of the problem and have found a solution. We will see. I will wait until he calls me back to see what he says first.

According to an engineer the largest amount of oil burners are on the 6mt not auto. They are working on a re-program to change the throttle actuator posistion on decelerate. They had no time frame for a repair as of Thursday afternoon.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by daveblank
According to an engineer the largest amount of oil burners are on the 6mt not auto. They are working on a re-program to change the throttle actuator posistion on decelerate. They had no time frame for a repair as of Thursday afternoon.
Again...why some rev-up VQ's and not other rev-up VQ's.
If it were the throttle actuator position, wouldn't that affect ALL rev-up VQ's?
And why some rev-up's get worse while other rev-up's improve like mine.
There have been some non rev-up's with this condition too, btw.

You seem to know a lot about Infiniti, or rather Nissan and their engineers.
Perhaps you could enlighten us with an ET on this so called vacuum/oil/throttle actuator/reprogram TSB.
Thanks.

Personally imo, I would think Nissan/Infiniti would continue their present approval of VQ replacements until they officially release this TSB.
Is it fair or good PR to have a customer be inconvenienced for months and months and more months with this condition on their new G?
I would think not. It would leave a real bad taste in my mouth indefinitely and never buy a Nissan/Infiniti product ever again.
I'm at that place right now and mine has improved, but with Corp deciding to make customers wait as they are with Hexx, they're in my black book now.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I won't wait too long before I step up my efforts John. I am tired of constantly having to monitor my oil. It's a huge PITA!!

Old 12-09-2006, 09:45 PM
6MT Coupe
Give them Hell Hector. Either the Dealer BSing you in Glendale or Corp for making that decision to stop replacements till they pull their finger out of their hole and release that TSB.

Haha...you could go to that place of Infiniti being a luxury vehicle and paid good $$ for it, more so than a cheap a$$ Nissan and expect better PR from Infiniti.

Or try another Dealer and see what their take on this is. You should be in their nation wide system on oil consumption testing, I would think.

G/L bro....I'd be so annoyed by now with that statement from Glendale if it were my G.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 12-09-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by 06CPV35

You seem to know a lot about Infiniti, or rather Nissan and their engineers.
Perhaps you could enlighten us with an ET on this so called vacuum/oil/throttle actuator/reprogram TSB.
Thanks.

I believe that I posted that they told me there was no set time frame for the repair. I am aware that not all rev-up motors are affected & that there are non-rev-up motors that are. I stated what I was told. As far as I'm concerned there should be no oil burn issue. Nissan/Infiniti has built motors for many years & never had this type of problem.

I posted the information that I was given to try & help keep people in the loop.

Last edited by daveblank; 12-09-2006 at 11:11 PM. Reason: my original response was rude.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:13 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i will be taking my car in for the oil consumption test on monday. i checked the oil yesterday, and it was between the H and the L. will the dealership make me pay for an oil change, or will everything be under warranty including the oil? i dont think anyones mentioned that in this thread (i read all of it)

Old 12-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
anyone?

Old 12-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Technically it should be covered under warranty so they shouldn't charge you for it. It's considered warranty work so you shouldn't be charged for the oil change.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:47 AM
right, because technically it's not an "oil change" ..
the first time they look the check the oil and see how much is there and do this by draining it.
the next time they use some other way to measure and just add more oil to the mix I think
My car, was 5 quarts low, I had 2 cups of oil. So for me there wasn't any "change" needed.. just needed oil ... haha..
I don't think anyone who's heard any tapping (like I did) should accept anything less than a new engine .. the life of the engine is GREATLY reduced by running it with very little oil..

Old 12-13-2006, 12:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Having to constantly check my oil is a PITA!!

Old 12-13-2006, 01:46 AM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should start checking mine now. Im at 1150 miles and done with the break in process. Guess Ill check it tomorrow morning.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
If I were you i would stop checking and just let the engine blow.
Then they have nothing to say but replace the motor.
I hate when dealerships drag their feet.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm at 600 miles, I guess after the first oil change, i'll start keeping an eye on it

Old 12-13-2006, 10:39 AM
6MT Coupe
Hector.....
I'd just set my trip odo and watch that till 1000 or near that. Then check my oil and it also would tell you it's time to go back to Infiniti of Glendale for them to record and top you off.

Or go to the Dealer in Van Nuys and see if they don't give you the same stall tactic as Glendale has.
Maybe they'd be better like Extreme's Dealer and get this ball rolling on replacement.
Play dumb about the who-knows-when TSB to be released.

Originally Posted by Glex25
If I were you i would stop checking and just let the engine blow.
Then they have nothing to say but replace the motor.
I hate when dealerships drag their feet.
I wouldn't let her just blow or seize. That would be proven negligence, since Infiniti knows you already are aware of this problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!