The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well over a quart low Andrew and I am at about 850 miles. I will take my car into the dealer sometime this week.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be able to get a better judgement on whether this 1/3 quart over 1300 miles is an aberation or not in January. I plan to drive to Vegas, so over about a week period, I will be driving 2500-3000 miles (I'll do an oil change early before I leave). Unless, that is, a major storm front comes through at the wrong time, like the storm that hit NM and Oklahoma this last week. I don't want to drive through Texas and New Mexico in weather like that.

But, driving 75 mph for an extended time in winter temperatures should give me a chance to work the engine.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a new engine for you Hector. Just dont let them hold onto your car no matter what. Its a pain in the *** not having your own car

Old 12-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure how you read the dipstick correctly. Is there a link or documentation on how to read them.
I checked my oil yesterday morning it is right on top of the dipstick gridline below the letter H .Right now I have 453 miles on the oil consumption is that good or bad?
Where is the oil suppose to be lined up when they have the right amount? At the end of the letter H or below it? Not sure because when I got my car back from the dealer doing the oil consumption it was right above the end of letter H. I am just checking and making sure they did not put more than suppose to?

Old 12-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Lexus IS350
If you can figure out how to read the dipstick correctly, myself along with everyone else on this forum will send you a pat on the back. Its a terrible design.
The oil level should be at the line next to the "H"

Old 12-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got done with this and Im finally braking in my new motor. It took me over a year of going back and forth with the dealer and Infiniti. Mine got so bad that the compression on (1 & 2 I think) was pretty low.

One quick way to check if you are burning oil is to look @ your exhaust tips.

Mine were black and really oily all the time. I do run a Stillen exhaust tho.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Lexus IS350
Im breaking my new engine in too. Im at about 625 miles on it. I just started taking it up to about 5K RPM today. I baby'd the car the first time with my first engine and that got me no where so I figured what the heck, its been 600 miles, thats plenty good. Ill slowly work my way up to the redline over the next 400-500 miles. No way Im doing the whole break in process again. I want to get MREV2 installed asap!

Old 12-05-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm just over 900 miles now so I will be going back to the dealer by this weekend. I am easily over a quart low again.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Lexus IS350
Have you been doing what I told you to do Hector?

This time, tell them that you wont be happy with anything less than a long-block replacement. Have them do a compression test on the car and see what that brings to the table. Best of luck

Old 12-06-2006, 11:44 AM
haha!! Yup, I have done everything you said and more.

Either way, my VQ is burning tons of oil. It actually seems to be burning oil even faster than before. And I already told them that I want a long block because I am concerned that damage may have already been done. I think they will give it to me. I won't be happy if they don't.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I Love You Ioc!!!!!

BTW I am the thread starter.

Well Infiniti of Chantilly has been completely d*&king me around. Of course they never called about my replacement short block.

I checked my oil a couple of days ago and found it two quarts low. My motor burns a pretty consistent quart every thousand.

So let’s do the math, I should have a little more than a quart at oil change. I guess some oil is better than none...

Just for sh#ts and giggles I called IOC for some “advice” on what to do about being two quarts low (I also asked about a fire that had recently started in my office, but they had no suggestions). Of course the response was “can you bring it in today?” I inquired about what they were going to do with my car if I leave work to drive into nightmarish traffic and go to IOC. Strangely, the “service manager” could not coherently explain what it was they intended to do.

Don’t get me wrong, I knew what they intended to do. Check the oil in the service lane, drive it around back, completely overfill my engine to the point oil blows out the dipstick tube, strip the Zaino off my paint with their cheap car wash detergent, mess up the settings on my seat, and give me lip service about my short block being carried by mule drawn carriage down Mt. Fuji.

I finally just told the “service manager” that I would go to Advance Auto and just buy some oil.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Hmmmmm . . . so I went into the dealer and I was nearly 2 full quarts low. The QC guy comes out and we start talking and he tells me that Infiniti is now acknowledging the problem and they are going to issue a TSB. I guess they figured out the problem. He says that it's NOT the piston rings so there really is no need to change the short block. It's a vacuum issue with the engine sucking up a lot of oil after 3500 rpm. As far as the valvetrain, he says the way it is built now a days, they can run on almost NO oil and still be fine. He's pretty sure it is fine. I am very skeptical right now and a little bit annoyed. He said he is going to contact Infiniti to see what they say. I'm not so sure I am going to be happy with them just "fixing" it. But I guess I have to wait to see what they say.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Lexus IS350
Wow, finally infiniti is acknowledging the problem. Hopefully youll sneak in past the TSB bull-crap and get the full long-block replaced. Just stress to them that you heard excessive rattling in the engine and that you are very worried that damage ocurred. Tell them that you obviously spent a lot of money on the car and that you are extremely displeased with the situation. Also, tell them that you would only be happy with a long-block replacement. Basically, stress that fact that you are an unhappy, dissapointed customer and you feel that the situation is an unfair constraint on your life.

Just BS them. BS the BS'ers. Best of luck Hexx. Let us know how it goes. Hopefully you can get that engine replaced!

Old 12-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Yup. Well, according to the QC guy at Infiniti of Glendale, Infiniti is aware of the problem and have found a solution. We will see. I will wait until he calls me back to see what he says first.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
They, being Infiniti and Nissan, has known about the vacuum thing for awhile. This is very old news.

This is what I was told by my Dealer months ago, but consumption improves after a while, not get worse and and be 2qts low after say 1,500 miles.

My Dealer also knew the 1qt/1000mi thing. And anything worse than that gets a new VQ...period, no questions asked if consumption is proven worse than 1qt/1000mi.
Nissan released that consumption number, not the Dealers.

Again the question...why some rev-ups and not others from day one.

Good Luck Hector. Hope they're not yanking your chain.
IMHO, sounds like they are.
I'm very curious as to what solution they come up with for this vacuum TSB if that's a true statement.
Any ET on when TSB is to be released? I'd bug the **** out of them until they show you the actual TSB.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!