The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm gonna give Glendale a little bit more time. After that, I am going to take my documentation to another dealership. Glendale has pretty much always treated me well but now that I have a huge issue, they are dragging their feet. I have to call 2-3 times before I can get anyone on the phone too.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too

Have a 2005 g35 6mt with 8500 miles on it. Just checked the oil and found none on the dip stick. It was just over 2 quarts low. I too change the oil my self and don't have any receipts. Dealership is mostlikely going to give me shi!! No appointments open until Dec 27th. Crap! Luckily I have a daily driver.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Just brought the G in for an oil change. I've gone less than 4000 miles since the last oil change. I was right above the L a month ago, added a quart and now I'm back to the same spot again on the dip stick. Dealer changed my oil and marked the dipstick, told me not to mess with it for 1000 miles and then bring it back in. So basically, if I'm less than a quart low they'll say everything is fine, jeeze that means the G needs 7-8 quarts btw oil changes! 5 qts in then a quart added every 1000 miles. Nissan needs to figure out what the hell is wrong with the rev-ups!

Old 12-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
They know what the problem is g35brother. They are just trying to figure out how to fix the problem. The qc guy at the dealership I go to fully acknowledged that Infiniti knows. A TSB should be coming out pretty soon according to him. We will see how they handle it.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sound like grounds for a class action law suit to me, maybe someone should find out what law firm handled the class action filed against Toyota for engine sludge build up since that law firm won, I got a letter last week in regards to a 1997 Lexus ES300 that I traded in 99' stating Toyota would reimburse ALL ! exspensis I inccured as a result of sludge build up in that car, and that Toyota would exstend my engine warranty to 100k with no time limit.

Last edited by Awilli; 12-17-2006 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:08 AM
California Lemon Law!!!

All of you California G drivers with this oil consumption problem need to check out the CA. Lemon Law, you can get a copie of it from the DMV or it may even be available online BUT BASICALLY IT SAYS IF YOUR CAR IS IN FOR THE SAME REPAIR SO MANY TIMES, OR IT IS RENDERD UNSAFE TO OPERATE, OR IT HAS A DEFECT THAT SIGNIFICANTLY DEVALUES IT (an engine replacement!!),IT IS A LEMON !! and must be replaced or bought back ! Hey I used it to make Ford buy my 1990 5 liter GT back,(actually Ford let me order a new 1991 GT for no exstra cost and gave me the 100k mi war. on the new car for free ! ) and let your Infiniti service manager and Nissan/Infiniti cut. ser. at the 1 800# know you intend to open cases with the DMV on this oil consuption problem ,this usally lights a fire to get them moving. Most states have similar lemon laws on the books. The problem is as long as Nissan keeps this problem internal, they can, and will drag their feet on it . I assure you if they feel the state or Feds will be getting involved Nissan will move, you can also go to the National Highway and Traffic safety admin. and file a complaint, the power is in our numbers and judgeing by the # of pages in this thread we have the numbers to get somthing started !!!

Last edited by Awilli; 12-18-2006 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:22 AM
AWILLI is wrong

Sorry awilli, it's doesn't work like that, at least not anymore..
Ok, since my last car, a 2006 MX-5 was actually repurchased as a lemon I'm quite familiar how it all works. If your car goes back too many times for the same repair. The same repair being that the dealer sent you home and said we fixed the problem only to have you come back with the same problem again. Oil consumption test means, yes, there is a problem, we want to further investigate this problem and report back to HQ. This doesn't fall under the lemon law.
The fact that the engine gets swapped doesn't decrease the value of the car. It's not like we're talking about a 1969 Plymouth Super Bird or something.
If you do think you have a lemon, you don't call your DMV about it. You inform your dealer you plan to file under the lemon law and you send a letter (certifed mail) to the Infiniti Customer Relations department and you sit back and way a few weeks for a call back.
The process is generally slow and for most of you will pretty much carry you to the end of your lemon period, in which case it will be null and void.
You have 1 year to file under the lemon law.. That's 1 year from the original date of purchase and you must be the original owner of the car.
The lemon law will take more time than it's worth to avoid an engine swap.
I filed under the lemon law because I had my car in the service dept 14 times in 8 months and my problems were electical and a few other lingering problems. This is a true lemon. If you have engine problems and they replace the engine, .. well, they replaced your problem then..

Old 12-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
A possible place to file a complaint might be with the ODI (Office of Defects Investigation). http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/home.cfm
Though mainly for safety defects which later turn into recalls, and TSB's, this department after their investigations, has been known to light some fire under manufactures butts and I believe have to power to tell manufactures that recalls/defects/TSB's must be generated, released and publicly known.
The ODI is affiliated with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Is this a safety issue? Probably not, though it may be under the air quality/pollution regulations, but it couldn't hurt to file a complaint of this defect.
Possibly, it may stir something up and at the very least, may get Nissan/Infiniti to release this so called TSB that they say they're working on.
If it's left up to them, it could takes months or years for them to find and release a fix to their customers.
This oil problem, so far, is only internally acknowledged by Nissan/Infiniti, so really...where's their incentive to quickly resolve this issue.

But if the ODI got on their butts, they may be more inclined to solve this issue ASAP to protect and not tarnish their consecutive award winning VQ series engine by having this issue released publicly and get the government off their backs with their investigation.

I'm sure the EPA would be interested in knowing this as well. This oil is being burnt and is being released into the air. Older cars with same quantities of oil consumption are considered 'gross polluters' and the government wants these type of vehicles off the road.

Hmmm... maybe the Consumer Protection Agency possibility too.

Just my 02......

-EDIT-
Yup...just did a search on complaints for a 2006 G35 coupe with the ODI.
This is the place to file your complaints ppl.
Copy of their search results:
Office of Defects Investigation 2006 G35.doc
Go to second result, pg 2 on word doc.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 12-18-2006 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:55 PM
+1

I just filed my complaint. The more people that do this, the quicker something will happen. If you are having this issue, file the complaint. It's quick and easy.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by cgocifer1
I just filed my complaint. The more people that do this, the quicker something will happen. If you are having this issue, file the complaint. It's quick and easy.
Can you people please stop this.. I need to get my engine replaced before they issue a recall. My engine was run with only 2 CUPS of oil for 10 minutes (the trip back from dropping my daughter off at day care). It wasn't until I I got home that the Oil light came on.
.. you're all gonna screw me out of a new engine!!

Old 12-20-2006, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by MightyMouse
Can you people please stop this.. I need to get my engine replaced before they issue a recall. My engine was run with only 2 CUPS of oil for 10 minutes (the trip back from dropping my daughter off at day care). It wasn't until I I got home that the Oil light came on.
.. you're all gonna screw me out of a new engine!!
Feel for ya bro, but man, Nissan really needs to do something about this B.S. How do you know how long you had 2 cups of oil in it? I had about 2 quarts of oil in mine for at least 500 miles or so. Not too worried, the oil pressure light never came on and I use full synthetic, so I'm pretty sure the oil didn't break down. Well, hopefully.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
getting ready to do a full oil change I have no idea what the last owner had so I am putting in synthetic mobil1

Old 12-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Thumbs down Update #2 for those following the thread

Well, looks like my situation isn't getting better as my engine is pretty much broken in - I now have 3.7K on a car that's less than 2 months old.

Just had my 2nd oil consumption check done and the motor consumed 3/4 of a quart in 1K miles as per my dealer (I checked it myself as well with same results). I’m coming back again in another 1K miles.

Here is what's disturbing and very disappointing though: apparently there is a number of a$$hole owners who are abusing this unfortunate situation and tampering with their oil level in attempts to extort new engines out of Infiniti. I’m talking about the low integrity jerks who have like 45K miles on their motors and are purposely draining oil between the consumption tests. This is maddening because for the majority of honest people this creates a backlash – according to my dealer, Infiniti is now requiring each oil entry/exit point to be marked between tests to verify that the owner isn’t tampering with the oil level. I can’t even check my own oil right now because there’s a white silicone drop between my dipstick and the bock right now… I haven’t looked anywhere else, but my dealer said same “test mark” is everywhere: drain plug, oil filter, etc.

Now, before this thread turns into a flame war, I’m not saying those of you with higher mileage motors are just taking advantage of the situation… Clearly I’m experiencing the defect firsthand, and trust me, last thing I want to do is have to go through an engine replacement on a brand new car. It’s just sad that there are always dishonest people complicating the solution. No wonder Infiniti is not willing to admit the problem and open the floodgates for everyone and their mother to swap motors…

Old 12-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts
Another engine blown due to oil consumption. Took it to the dealer and they want receipts of my own oil changes. Provided them with one receipt where i had my oil changed at a shop where i got my springs and intake installed a month after i bought my car, where it shows that they changed my oil because the oil was low and it was making rattling noises inside the engine bay. I also told them to look at the history of the car when i have taken it to the dealer where i make complaints and they never took the initiative to look at my car. So I took it on Monday and today is wednesday and still no response whether it is going to get covered or not....

Old 12-20-2006, 12:42 PM
i.......

hate......

this......

dip......

stick......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!