The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
I've heard something like synth can increase oil consumption, but by no means is proven. Haha...someone here (forget which page) even said their Dealer switched him TO synth to see if it helped with consumption...lol and think they even did the testing running synth.

I'd say, let the Dealer do what they want to satisfy their testing and not stall them in their decision for approving a new VQ for you, even if it means going back to Dino oil.
Don't be surprises if they seal the dipstick and drain plug. Recently Dealers have been doing that with their oil consumption testing to eliminate any possible oil level tampering during the testing.
G/L
That is what they are going to do, seal everything up. Whatever it takes, just want to find out the results of the test.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all I want to say that I admire the G platform and am doing research to purchase a new G...but have one question regarding this oil consumption issue.

I was just wondering... all of those that have had your engine replaced under warranty and say that it is a brand new engine, now is it really a "brand new engine"? Brand new meaning they pulled one of the assembly line shelf, or was it in a Nissan / Infiniti remanufactured engine. I'm a SA at a Ford dealer and only vehicles that are within 12 months / 12,000 miles are eligible for a brand new engine. Everything else that's beyond that would get a reman upon engine failure (Except special circumstances). If all of you have infact received brand new engines that's definetly a good step for Nissan / Infiniti to compensate you for some of your troubles.

Last edited by scdlara619; 02-13-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:44 PM
So after reading about two or three pages of this thread, I immediately went out and moved my G35 into the garage and allowed it to cool for 2 hrs. Checked the oil, and whew, it was middle of the hash marks. I have the 5A, broken in reasonably according to the manual, ran with the dino up to about 3600 mi, then switched to M1 syn and have maintained that and changed with filter every 4 - 5K mi. ever since.

So those who read, realize this does not affect every G. I had a Camry V6 that had a similar problem that was all over the web but not acknowledged by Toyota. 4 - 5K miles after Toyota changed the oil, I went to drain the oil and NOTHING CAME OUT. That engine pretty much did fry though I did what I could to stretch it and Infiniti offered me a generous trade nonetheless.

Got to watch your oil!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 08:39 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by my-g-rocks
So after reading about two or three pages of this thread, I immediately went out and moved my G35 into the garage and allowed it to cool for 2 hrs. Checked the oil, and whew, it was middle of the hash marks. I have the 5A, broken in reasonably according to the manual, ran with the dino up to about 3600 mi, then switched to M1 syn and have maintained that and changed with filter every 4 - 5K mi. ever since.

So those who read, realize this does not affect every G. I had a Camry V6 that had a similar problem that was all over the web but not acknowledged by Toyota. 4 - 5K miles after Toyota changed the oil, I went to drain the oil and NOTHING CAME OUT. That engine pretty much did fry though I did what I could to stretch it and Infiniti offered me a generous trade nonetheless.

Got to watch your oil!!!
Its because you have the 5AT. Seems like most of the oil consumption is on the 06 manuals. It seems oil consumption wasn't that big a deal until the 2006 models. 350Z.com has an oil consumption thread for 2006 only....they also believe it affects only the manual version too. There are some other years affected but if the 2006 rev-ups seem like the most prominent year of defections.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:50 AM
its been a while since i've posted, but darn.. i didn't think oil consumption was that big of a problem. anyway, I went to the dealer yesterday and they notified me that they would be ordering my engine for my 05 6mt. Talked to another guy there w/ an 06 6mt and he got the same news I did. hope this doesn't happen to the next one...

Old 02-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Exclamation Help Me Get The Long Block!

Alright, I need help now!

After 4K miles worth of oil consumption tests, the verdict is in an Infiniti has confirmed the motor is burning oil and needs to be replaced. But, they want to replace short block only, not the long block. That’s not good enough, car is brand new. My dealer advised me on fighting for the long block too...

Please tell me how can I effectively fight Infiniti to get a long block? What are the strong points that I can leverage off? How do I escalate if they won’t budge? Who can I call / write / etc. to in order to make this happen?

This is such a bummer

Old 02-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Look what I found in Wikipedia

Sorry if this is a repost, but even I have not read every response (considering that I started this thread).

I was browsing Wikipedia about the 350Z and I noticed under criticism:

"Isolated, but widely reported issues with engines consuming their own oil at abnormal rates, more significantly in the 2006 "RevUp" edition of the VQ35 engine. Nissan currently is replacing engines that are brought in and found to consume 1 or more litres per 1000 miles, but has not issued a recall as of October 2006."

Better get your head out of the sand Nissan.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:39 PM
c35
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just back from the dealer

My wife's car (2003 G35 sedan purchased in 3/02) has twice experienced the noise mentioned in the original post.

I brought it to the dealer, and the assessment was that it was low on oil. 1.2 quarts low to be exact. And they were the ones who had changed the oil less than 4 weeks ago!.

They told me that the VQ's burn a lot of oil when they become higher mileage (my wife's has 87K miles).

And the best part: They charged me $55 in labor for a quart of oil.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Man , I can't believe this thread is up to 34 pages ! I read the 1st ten and skipped to the end . My '06 6MT Sedan is at the dealer as we speak having the engine replaced - total mileage 8400 . I bought the car in May of '06. At 2700 miles I started the car and heard what sounded like the lifters rapping. I pulled the dipstick and it was dry. Drove it to my dealer who's only a couple of miles away and they check it and tell me it's down 2 quarts. They change the oil , Mobil 1 this time and off I go. At less than 6000 miles the oil light comes on. Back to the dealer and again it's down 2 quarts. Dealer tells me we're going to do and oil consumption check - come back in 1500-2000 miles and if your still losing oil we'll have to call "corporate". Now i'm getting paranoid and checking the damn oil level every thousand miles . Well 2000 more miles go by and the oil level is barely registering on the dipstick. Back to the dealer , they check it and tell me , you're only down 1/2 quart which is acceptable . At that point I blow my stack and tell them I've had the car back three times for the same issue, they've done nothing and if they don't correct the problem, I'm suing them under Pa.'s Lemon Law and let them know I'm an attorney. They then tell me they'll check with "corporate" and can I call them the following day. I stop in the next day and they tell me Infiniti has agreed to replace the engine .
This seems like good news but if this problem is endemic to the VQ35 engine , I may be back in another 6-12 months with the same problem.
One thing I would advise all you guys dealing with this issue is to do some research to see if your state has a Lemon Law. Pa.'s is really tough on dealers who don't correct problems and significantly improves your leverage with them. Good luck.
Joe

Old 02-16-2007, 04:09 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are supposed to check your oil about once a month. Everyone should check their oil every 1000 miles minimum (especially on a sports sedan). Some engines are even designed to burn oil (RX8) and to many owners of high performance cars, this is an acceptable tradeoff.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Agree with that you're supposed to check your oil routinely. It seems to be a lost art these days.
I have always checked mine routinely with every vehicle I've owned. Did the same with my G and that's how I found out about my consumption problem
way before it got to the point of oil light or sounding like a lawn mower or nothing on dip stick.

FYI: It does say in my 2006 Coupe manual in a grayed caution box that, -quote- 'Oil level should be checked regularly.
Operating the engine with an insufficient amount of oil can damage the engine, and such damage is not covered by warranty'. -end quote-
It's in the maintenance and do-it-yourself section 8, pg 11.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by EZZ
You are supposed to check your oil about once a month. Everyone should check their oil every 1000 miles minimum (especially on a sports sedan). Some engines are even designed to burn oil (RX8) and to many owners of high performance cars, this is an acceptable tradeoff.
You know, I would check my oil more often if it weren't such a PITA!

I want to shove the dipstick up the **** of whoever designed it.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
*sigh* I just left the QC guy at Glendale a message to call me back. It's been a while now and nothing. I don't know if they are stalling or what the problem is but I am really getting tired of this. I am going to have a little bit of time off in which I am going to pursue this more aggressively because it's becoming a huge PITA. I just want it resolved already.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
You know, I would check my oil more often if it weren't such a PITA!

I want to shove the dipstick up the **** of whoever designed it.
As a Mechanical Engineer, I feel the same way as you do. Checking the oil is routine maintenance that should be easily performed by the average joe blow, therefore the ease of access and KISS (keep it simple stupid) should have been applied.... looks like the designer of g35 vq motor oil dipstick location and dipstick failed their human factors class in college....

Old 02-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
*sigh* I just left the QC guy at Glendale a message to call me back. It's been a while now and nothing. I don't know if they are stalling or what the problem is but I am really getting tired of this. I am going to have a little bit of time off in which I am going to pursue this more aggressively because it's becoming a huge PITA. I just want it resolved already.
Whoa...Hector. Was wondering what was up with you and your (already proven VQ needs replacement) issue.
Man...sorry to hear Glendale still stalling on that. You still having to do oil consumption tests with them all this time?
Umm yeah...by this point, I'd be hella annoyed with them. There is no reason for this stall with other ppl here getting theirs replaced after you last chimmed in.
You might want to file a complaint here about the initial issue plus the stalling tactic you're experiencing.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/home.cfm
G/L

Originally Posted by FenixL1P
As a Mechanical Engineer.../ /...looks like the designer of g35 vq motor oil dipstick location and dipstick failed their human factors class in college....
Haha...lol. So true, being a ME myself.
At least they finely did something with the new VQ HR series, like put it in the front of the block out of the way of the air intake tubes...dohhhh.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!