The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '05 with 27k on it. Been babied since birth. I did my own oil changes because the dealer and other oil change shops couldn't seem to torque the oil pan plug properly. Noticed it was eating oil somehow. About 2 quarts per 3k. Did a couple of oil consumption tests where Infiniti told me to find all of my receipts and logs of my oil changes. I told them to forget about it. After a few weeks, I got another call letting me know my new engine is here.

So I get a new motor. I don't really care one way or another because it drives great on the current one and I'll be upgrading to the '08 regardless. Anyway, there's a somewhat recent bulletin on this for the '05s. At least that's what I was told.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:15 AM
I just changed by oil tonight and found that I was only able to drain 3 qts of oil. I added a half of a quart last weekend and changed the oil only a week later. I have only 9,000 miles on the car and will change and moniter one more oil change before I take the car into the dealer to request an oil consumption test. I have records of my oil filter purchases and my oil purchases and I also noted the amount of oil that was drained.

The car is my wifes car and is not driven hard at all. It is an 06' sedan,
6 spd and I can not understand why Nissan will not come to terms that these motors are consuming abnormal amounts of oil. Nissan is going to loose a lot of future customers is they can not get this problem fixed.

BTW for anyone that lives in the San Jose/Santa Clara area the milk jugs that are given for our oil, they hold approx 3 3/4 quarts of oil. This is just a reference to see how much oil your car maybe burning.

Even after I changed the oil and checked the dip stick I still could not get an accurate read on the drip stick. Why do engineers make an easy task so difficult to do?

Old 02-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Another one for the list...

Well my oil warning light illuminated twice on Friday for a second or so and I drove home (about 5 miles), then parked the car. I tried checking the oil and found that it's a pain in the @$$ to read but it does appear that the oil level is below the dipstick...I'm going to try reading it again today while the engine's cold to verify the level again.

I did install the oil pan spacer at my last oil change, so it holds six quarts now. The part that concerns me is I just changed the oil about 2,500 miles ago (during which I also switched to synthetic). So naturally I was surprised to see the oil warning light come on, especially after I had "upgraded" the oil system to hold more and use a longer life oil.

In any event, my factory warranty expired about 27 days ago. Does this mean I'm dead in the water should I need to have the engine replaced? Just wondering if any other G35'ers have this issue and have an expired warranty.

Thanks,
B

Old 02-26-2007, 10:32 AM
I would contact your local Infiniti stealership and see if they are willing to help. I had a buddy that had some major work done on his integra that was about 30 days out of warranty.

Being that Infiniti and Nissan know there is a problem with these motors burning oil, I would think they would step up and help you out.

Let us know.........

Old 02-26-2007, 11:26 AM
I suppose I should take off the plenum spacer and/or CAI? I've got quite a few mods on the exhaust side too so I'm wondering which, if any, I should take off? Oh, and let's not forget about the ECU flash I had done at AAM in December.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How are you guys getting such accurate measurements?! everytime i try to check my oil, that darn dipstick rubs all over the intake tube and i cant even see where the oil line is help!

Old 02-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Read my post #513

That is the way I started to measure it.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by WhosRich
How are you guys getting such accurate measurements?! everytime i try to check my oil, that darn dipstick rubs all over the intake tube and i cant even see where the oil line is help!
I posted what I do waaay back on here somewhere...lol

Let your G sit for awhile and on level ground. Then slowly pull the stick out. Think the manual says 5-10 minutes, I forget.
I put my finger by the tube and let the stick bend around my finger to help it come out straight from the tube.
Better yet, and this is what I do, let it sit over night and check when cold before starting her up, still using finger technique.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
god I hope I don't have to deal with this...

Old 02-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Everybody, I Need Your Help!

MODERATOR, POLL PLEASE!

We need a sticky poll of all the members who burn a quart every thousand miles or more and those who dont? It should specify what year, transmission, and if a rev-up. We could then roughly calculate what percentage of our cars burn oil. This would give us some strong (albeit, unscientific) ammunition for dealing with Infiniti.

For this to work, we need members who DO NOT burn oil to take part in the poll.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my G. I just want Infiniti to own up to their obligation and fix the problem.

AS THIS PROCESS BECOMES MORE AND MORE PAINFUL BMW, ACURA, AND LEXUS LOOK BETTER AND BETTER!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Thumbs down burning Oil

Hello all,

Thanks for the Post. After reading this post, I've been checking my oil level past few months. I've notice my 2005 G35 6MT (32K miles) is burning about 1 1/2 to 2 qrts oil every 3000 miles. So, I took my car to Kearny Mesa Infiniti in San Diego, to get oil change and have them look at the problem. As soon as I brought up oil consumption problem, the service manager flat out told me it’s normal and didn’t cover under warranty. I’ve asked for written documentation as to what is expectable amount but was told there is no such documentation. So I’ve called Infiniti Headquarter (800-662-6200) to find out, but was told the same story. No Docs and normal for this car. But she did called the dealer and now they’re running oil consumption test every 1000 miles. I’m not holding my breath

I’ve owned few other cars in my time but this is first on a new car. I don’t care for their service and warranty is non-existent. I almost have to fight with service manager to get anything done under warranty.

I don’t think I’ll be buying any Nissan products anytime soon…

Last edited by jomjalee; 02-28-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:23 AM
It's amazing how these "dealerships" and corporate infiniti jack people around and feed them a line of BS...Fess up to the problem, send out a memo to all service dept's, letters to all owners that there is a problem and that it is being addressed and that as soon as a fix has been found there will be a TSB and or recall. This is the logical business model to follow if infiniti/nissan wish to have people keep buying their vehicles...

Originally Posted by jomjalee
Hello all,

Thanks for the Post. After reading this post, I've been checking my oil level past few months. I've notice my 2005 G35 6MT (32K miles) is burning about 1 1/2 to 2 qrts oil every 3000 miles. So, I took my car to Kearny Mesa Infiniti in San Diego, to get oil change and have them look at the problem. As soon as I brought up oil consumption problem, the service manager flat out told me it’s normal and didn’t cover under warranty. I’ve asked for written documentation as to what is expectable amount but was told there is no such documentation. So I’ve called Infiniti Headquarter (800-662-6200) to find out, but was told the same story. No Docs and normal for this car. But she did called the dealer and now they’re running oil consumption test every 1000 miles. I’m not holding my breath

I’ve owned few other cars in my time but this is first on a new car. I don’t care for their service and warranty is non-existent. I almost have to fight with service manager to get anything done under warranty.

I don’t think I’ll be buying any Nissan products anytime soon…

Old 03-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by ResIpsa
MODERATOR, POLL PLEASE!

We need a sticky poll of all the members who burn a quart every thousand miles or more and those who dont? It should specify what year, transmission, and if a rev-up. We could then roughly calculate what percentage of our cars burn oil. This would give us some strong (albeit, unscientific) ammunition for dealing with Infiniti.

For this to work, we need members who DO NOT burn oil to take part in the poll.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my G. I just want Infiniti to own up to their obligation and fix the problem.

AS THIS PROCESS BECOMES MORE AND MORE PAINFUL BMW, ACURA, AND LEXUS LOOK BETTER AND BETTER!
good idea.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:38 PM
4 qts. later...

For the past four days I've been checking my oil each morning after the car's been sitting all night (since the oil level is almost impossible to read otherwise), and putting in a quart before starting the car when I didn't see any between the H and L.

Finally this morning, four days and four quarts later, I finally see the oil mark again just above the L. I don't know if any engine wear/tear occurred but I'm sure it's not out of the question. So now I'd like to troubleshoot to see whether any damage has been done. A buddy recommended testing each cylinder for compression to make sure they all:

a) have the same compression level.
b) are in accordance with factory compression specs.

Do you guys know any other way to check for potential engine damage due to low oil?

And I've also heard that oil burning can be caused by a few things, one of which is bad piston rings. Is there a way I can diagnose the root cause, be it the rings or otherwise?

Thanks all,
B

Old 03-01-2007, 02:23 PM
this is my 2nd engine in my 06 g35 coupe.. my engine burnt 2-3 days after i kept on hearing this noise also... 4k miles after i got on my new engine i heard this noise again and my car was missing about 4 quarts of oil again.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!