The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
IMHO you either have a oil user or not. The rate of usage for the worst offenders is so great, break in procedure is moot.

IMHO, if break in procedures really did make that much of a difference, we would see 5-10x the # of cases. I'll guess that given the general ignorance of the auto public today, no one really takes great care in breaking in their cars.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did tho, I took great, great care when I was breaking my car in. I followed the procedures to the T and they got me no where. Im going to be easy on the car for the first 500 miles and then slowly work my way up to redline from there-on. Ive not driven my car for 3 weeks now, I dont ever remember what it feels like to drive my car...ok, maybe I do

Old 11-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
IMHO you either have a oil user or not. The rate of usage for the worst offenders is so great, break in procedure is moot.

IMHO, if break in procedures really did make that much of a difference, we would see 5-10x the # of cases. I'll guess that given the general ignorance of the auto public today, no one really takes great care in breaking in their cars.
You have a good point there. I would be curious to know how many motors NISSAN has had to replace. I mean you don't get named one of the "10 best" engines by motortrend for the last 12 years for nothing.

Old 11-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se

+1,000,000,000!! The way you broke your car in has nothing to do with this issue. If you go through this thread and a couple other ones that have been created about this problem, you will see that people from both sides of the spectrum are having this problem. This is an issue either with the whole engine or a certain part (i.e. piston rings). Some people have gotten lucky and gotten good engines and some people didn't get so lucky. Don't get me wrong, my engine is still very strong and pulls like a bat outta hell, it just burns tons of oil. I broke my 05 and 06 6MT's in the exact same way. Both are Rev Up engines. 05, no problems at all. 06, burning oil like a ****.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Lexus IS350
Update: Didnt get my car back Monday and I wont be getting it back today or tonight.

My mom and I met with the Service Manager and also spoke with the General Manager. The S.M. was helpful but ridiculous at times too. I explained to him that I was frustrated as I was told that all parts were in last Wednesday and they were going to start the car on Friday. That didnt happen. I called on Monday to find out if my car would be ready, found out that my service advisor I was working with no longer works there and the car wasnt started. I was told they would get started on the car on Monday. Again, that didnt happen, so I finally went in and talked with the S.M. in person.

Here's how it went...
He doesnt feel that an extended warranty should be granted because like all other warranty work, when something goes wrong and something is replaced, the warranty is untouched. It remains as is with the 4year/60,000mile warranty. I had to explain to him that this is an entirely brand new engine not just a CD player or an air conditioning unit. The 11,606 miles I had on my old engine would be transferred, warranty-wise, to the new engine. I said to him that didnt make any sense. Why would my brand new engine with 0 miles on it fall under the old warranty. Why would that mileage be transferred over? He will talk to Infiniti about that.

Secondly, he went on to say that Infiniti feels that people are having this oil consumption problem due to an improper break-in process. I explained to him that I baby'd the car for more than enough miles and that that was not the case. He simply nodded and said ok.

Also, I told him that he needs to grant me free future oil changes because of the situation and that I felt that was fair compensation for this whole fiasco. He again said he'd have to check with Infiniti. I went on to explain to him that I was hassled for getting my oil changes done at Firestone(Thanks Grant) instead of the dealer. I told him the dealership charges nearly twice what Firestone charges yet they use the same parts and the same amount of labor is involved. He said that he would take that into consideration.

So, I should hear from him by 5:00PM tonight to figure out whether or not my car will be ready by Thanksgiving or not. Im obviously hoping it will be but Im not getting my hopes up as I doubt it will be ready until atleast next Monday or Tuesday. Its already 2:30PM today and the car was on the lift with only the the exhaust, cats and drivetrain off. The front two wheels and suspension were unbolted too. We'll see. Ive got my fingers crossed...

Old 11-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much miles do you guys have?? i heard that the piston rings takes 10-15k to break in then the oil burning should reduce.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:45 PM
That sux extreme. Keep on them. That's the only way to get results. I find it unreal how unwilling some dealers are to make their customers happy. The service advisor manager @ Glendale was a complete ***** when I talked to him. And all I was asking for was an update on what was going on.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^What's the latest on your G Hexx? I haven't clicked on the previous pages so I don't know.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by IP G
how much miles do you guys have?? i heard that the piston rings takes 10-15k to break in then the oil burning should reduce.
That is partially true. I was told the same thing by my Dealer, but not the rings, rather it would acquire less vacuum after break-in that was sucking the oil into the plenum and losing oil that way.
Think I fall into this category. Mine has improved starting around 9k-10k on the odo, with my worst ever at 1qt/1200mi. Now at 11K and only using 1/4qt/1000mi.

These guys though, are blowing a lot of oil through their rings. No engine in any stage of break-in should ever blow that much oil through the rings.
And what's weird is some rev-up VQ's have this issue, even my improved issue, while others rev-ups never had either of these problems. Go figure

Extreme...sorry to hear the BS going on at your Dealer. It started out all fine, then it's gone to BS.
Hex...sorry to hear about having to do a couple more oil tests with your Dealer. Damn...how many times do they need to see that yours is drinking oil
Dealers...ya just got to hate them sometimes you know. But sometimes they got us by the ***** and we have no choice but to put up with their $hit.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Ok guys here is the deal, I'am a salesman for a Infiniti dealership in texas, I currently own a 2006 Infiniti G35 coupe 6mt. I had 8,000 miles when I had that problem. I had my engine replace because of that, Infiniti calls it a Oil consumption Problem. And you guys are right. Infiniti does not want to admit to this problem. But you guys can get this fixed. Here is the best thing to do. Next oil change tell your service advisor that you want to perform an oil consumption test in your car. So you are going to have to keep going to the dealership every 500 miles to check oil. Dont get desperate because for the first 1000 miles oils is going to be the same but then for some reason the level in the oil starts coming down dramatically. Thats when your service advisor needs to report that and he needs to get you a new engine. We have done a couple of them here in the dealership. If the service advisor tells you why you want to perform the test tell him becauase you heard the knocking sound in the engine and when you checked it it was low on oil. I know I made it seem like it was easy but this is the best way to get this taken care off. And for those of you who think its on the 03 - 04 models you are wrong. I have an 06 and it happend to me. So check your car.......

If you guys need more help with this send me a PM I'll give you my number and I'll try to help you guys out as much as I can.

PS:Make sure that in your service manual record each time you checked the oil, and make the servie advisor stamp it and sign it......

Good luck guys.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:22 AM
gamma-I am about 300 miles into my second 1000 miles. After the first 1000 miles, I was 1.5 quarts low. This was documented by the dealer. They topped of the oil and now I am into my second 1000 miles. I guess they wanna make sure it is not a fluke.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:00 AM
Lexus IS350
I got a call from the S. Manager saying all is going well and that the car should be ready tomorrow evening. If it is, Ill be jumping for joy, assuming they pass my check-list. I created a long list of things to examine before I pull off the lot. If just one of those things doesnt pass according to me, I wont accept the car. I just hope I get it back tomorrow in the same shape I got it before

Old 11-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Lexus IS350
Well, the dealer got the engine in the car and its running but...during testing an error light came on. The car might be ready tonight but Im highly doubting it will be. Looks like, at this point, Ill be going on four weeks

Old 11-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Sux bro. Are they gonna be open tomorrow or are you gonna have to wait til Friday?

Old 11-22-2006, 08:00 PM
I have a 03 with 56k sucking up oil too. I complained about it at 30k when a o2 sensor burned up. I forgot the error code, but it was about left bank running rich.

I checked a spark plug and it had oil on it. I told the SM and he said not to check the plugs again, I can void the warranty. I was also told that it wasn't oil and nothing to worry about. WTF? Then i was told that i was lucky I only had a v6, the v8's burn up oil even faster.

Is my car still under warranty for this fix?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!