The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just gave my baby her first oil change and i was horrified to see there was only about 1/2 qt of oil in her, was only 2500 miles since i bought her (dealer did an oil change verified with the service dept) she was a late 04, purchased in 05 and has less than 60k on her so im less than happy about this. im hoping they will look into it

Old 01-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Once you drop to two quarts low, teh damage is done.

This may seem silly but with ANY car that's NEW TO ME, I check the oil EVERY TIME I fill up for at least a month. Once I establish a pattern, I only check it as it needs to. You can drive a car that uses oil a long, long time, you just have to KEEP IT FULL.

Take it in and have them do the oil consumption test on it.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:15 PM
I know, im guilty, but ive never had any problems with any nissan product before, had no call to check, either way, the light never came on and the oil that did come out was clean so at least theres that, but im going to get a guage pod and put a pressure gauge in it, i dont trust idiot lights. I love my G and will deal with it one way or another.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by MadMaxMan

I was thinking that since only a percentage of cars with these engines have this problem, it may be a problem local to certain plants where the engines are manufactured/assembled. It would be nice to have a Vin # Reference list to see if this is so. Does any1 know if this has already been done?
Don't think so, not with VIN's. There was something somewhere looong time ago with vehicle build mo/yr. Could've been on a 350Z forum, can't recall. But I do remember stating my build date back then, on whichever thread that was. A pattern was never concluded/found that I know of. I'll guess b/c vehicle build dates aren't the same as engine build dates.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Don't think so, not with VIN's. There was something somewhere looong time ago with vehicle build mo/yr. Could've been on a 350Z forum, can't recall. But I do remember stating my build date back then, on whichever thread that was. A pattern was never concluded/found that I know of. I'll guess b/c vehicle build dates aren't the same as engine build dates.
I didn't think so. It seems strange that only a few % have this problem. A few % over several years seems to be a problem local to a certain engine assembly plant, or something like that. This problem extends back to the introduction of the VQ35.

Maybe instead of the VIN# we could search for Serial#s on the Engine?
Anyone know where on the engine the Serial# is? It would likely by somewhere on the bottom end. I just got mine and haven't crawled under it yet to take a look, but will try and do it this weekend.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:43 PM
I've been monitoring my 04 G35 since I bought it from my bro-in-law back in Nov. 2007.
I had an issue with the car consuming oil about 1/2 quart every 1000 miles. I took it to the dealership to get the consumption test done. The 1st and 2nd time it read 1/2 quart low after 1000 miles. The dealership said this wasn’t enough for the warranty coverage. They decided to do a 3rd test. This time I took it back after 2000 miles on 12/22/08 and it was below the Low mark. This time the dealership said it failed the oil consumption test and that a new engine would be ordered. They asked that I follow up after the New Year.

Well I called today and they said they made a mistake (with their statement about a new engine) that the 2004's are not covered under this new oil consumption testing only 2005+ are. However, they want me to bring the car in since they know there is an issue with oil consumption. They want to look for signs of how this is happening so they can try to get this covered under the power train warranty. I asked if this would constitute a new engine and they said no most they will replace with a short or long block.

My questions: What kind of block does my car have? And what should I fight for, replacing short or long block?

Not sure if the car has them both. Sorry for being nieve.

Any info you feel is relevant to this post please feel free.

Thanks,
JC

Last edited by unvmg; 01-07-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:20 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by MadMaxMan
I didn't think so. It seems strange that only a few % have this problem. A few % over several years seems to be a problem local to a certain engine assembly plant, or something like that. This problem extends back to the introduction of the VQ35.

Maybe instead of the VIN# we could search for Serial#s on the Engine?
Anyone know where on the engine the Serial# is? It would likely by somewhere on the bottom end. I just got mine and haven't crawled under it yet to take a look, but will try and do it this weekend.
Thought the same with serial # being better. No luck in finding that reference resource, me anyway.
Always wondered the history/origin/build date of my OEM, replacement too, but I'm only one person.
It be awesome to know that resource and how/where to access.

My picture will save a thousand words below for serial # location...'red arrow'

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 01-07-2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: added serial # reference disclosing build date too
Old 01-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by unvmg

My questions: What kind of block does my car have? And what should I fight for, replacing short or long block?

Not sure if the car has them both. Sorry for being nieve.

Any info you feel is relevant to this post please feel free.

Thanks,
JC
Short or long does not refer to the "type" of engine.

A short block means just the main block with the crank and pistons installed, no, no heads, no water pump, no oil pump, no nothing.

A long block has most everything built. The heads are on, the pan, oil pump, water pump etc.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:42 PM
6MT Coupe
Pix I posted above is a long block.

Short block is what Texas stated.

When it comes to non revup VQ's (non TSB VQ's) it depends what they determine the cause of OC.
At the very least, you'll get a short block if OC qualifies some kind of replacement from the stories I've read.
Some get a long block...depends. All TSB replacements though are long blocks, no questions asked.

G/L

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 01-07-2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 01-08-2009, 12:01 AM
thanks for clarifying.

Originally Posted by Texasscout
Short or long does not refer to the "type" of engine.

A short block means just the main block with the crank and pistons installed, no, no heads, no water pump, no oil pump, no nothing.

A long block has most everything built. The heads are on, the pan, oil pump, water pump etc.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:37 AM
My car has been at the dealership for oil consumption for over a month. I bought the car (03 6mt) in late October to replace the 03 6MT I lost in hurricane Ike. When I bought it the previous owner's oil change sticker said next 3k oil change would be at 70,300mi. At 69,700 the oil light started to come on any time I would decelerrate. I checked the oil and it was empty. I had only had the car a few weeks at this point. It was a Saturday night so I put some oil in it and after work on Monday I went straight to the dealership and got there with 70,035 miles. Infiniti wouldn't cover it under the factory powertrain warranty for being 35mi over and I've had to wait to the extended warranty from the previous owner to transfer over. They had me do an oil consumption test and even though it was burning 2 qts per 1k mi I still had to do 3 tests. All the oil changes for the car were done at the dealership until 44k mi but from 44k to 69k was not and they wanted all the receipts for oil changes. Luckily even though the previous owner didn't have all the receipts (only 2), the place they took the car still had the car's info and oil change history with them on file. Since then they've had the dealership take it apart and take pictures of some stuff (not sure what, and the car is completely stock) and came back and said they would only cover a shortblock. I think it's actually closer to 2 months now that I haven't had my car. I got parts for Christmas i want to put on ; ;

Old 01-11-2009, 02:52 AM
alll you need to do is take it to your dealer and they do a free oil change and monitor your oil level every 1000 miles and it it falls with in specs on how much oil it burns you get a new engine just make sure you have records of your past oil changes

Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Hey it is true about the problem with the engine.... i had to rebuilt a 2006 Infiniti g35 motor at my shop for the same reason... Guess what the dealer didnt want to warranty it and the car only had 27,000 miles on it.. One more thing i notice when i pull apart the motor was that the was extra sealer from the engine in the sump, causing blocking of oil to the oil pump... For this the engine carnk shaft had broke causing engine lock up....

Old 01-12-2009, 09:45 AM
So was the sealant in pieces stuck in the oil tube pick up screen or was there so much that it blocked the screen?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!