The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
after 78,000 miles 2 pistons rings went bad and I used incrdeible amounts of oil. I for some reason bought the extended warranty for our 03 at coupe. I'm getting a new engine as we speak with no problems from infiniti..

Old 08-01-2007, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick update

Another update on mine:

13,5K miles on '06 G35 6MT
New short block at 7,500 miles & dealer switched to 10w30 per Infiniti
Now burning 2 quarts every 1,000 miles on that new short block with 10w30

Time for lemon claim and a lawsuit...

Old 08-02-2007, 01:14 AM
No more worries about my G.

Traded it in on an '05 SRT-6 with 10K miles and an 8yr/80k mile warranty. I owe a grand less on this than I did on my G. It's all AMG Mercedes under the body. This thing is unbelievably fast. 0-60 in 4.8, 13 sec. 1/4 mile. Surprised the heck out of me when I first hit the gas.

Well, I've enjoyed this forum and still love the G. I've wanted the SRT6 since it came out, but couldn't afford it until now.

Last edited by cgocifer1; 08-02-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:17 AM
I just bought an 04 coupe with 35k on it 2 weeks ago. I never thought to check the oil till the other day as they assured me it went through this huge inspection and service before resale.. I checked the oil out of curiousity (and reading here) and i was a liter down. I put about 700kilometers on it since the sale, and I did buy 2 years 40k full extended warranty (thank god). Now should i change the oil myself as i always do myself, and monitor it and see what happens or march it back in and raise the roof? Any suggestions?

Old 08-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
I've been letting the dealership do it just in case. I don't want any crap from them if I have this problem (haven't driven it enough to check).

Raise the Roof brotha... raise da roof!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Oh, just so you guys know. The dealership told me that Infiniti is completely aware of the situation and is working on a fix. Once they have it, a recall or service bulletin will be issued. You probably already know, but thought I'd share.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by BlueBOB
I've been letting the dealership do it just in case. I don't want any crap from them if I have this problem (haven't driven it enough to check).

Raise the Roof brotha... raise da roof!
Agree...I let them do the service so it's documented with them and Corp.
Originally Posted by cgocifer1
Oh, just so you guys know. The dealership told me that Infiniti is completely aware of the situation and is working on a fix. Once they have it, a recall or service bulletin will be issued. You probably already know, but thought I'd share.
Yeah...thanks for that, but it's old news. They've been saying that for a long time.
IMO, they've found the solution by replacing these VQ's with hand built ones from Japan with excellent results...no more oil consumption.

I've been checking for TSB's on this for a looong time...none yet as they've been saying for a looong time there'll be one soon

They'll never do a recall unless the NHTSA tells them to. That's why I've stressed the importance of filing a complaint with the NHTSA on this consumption issue.
If they get enough complaints, investigate and conclude this is a manufactures defect, then THEY will tell Infiniti/Nissan to recall these POS VQ's and not leave it up to us consumers to do something about it.

Have read ppl having to involve the BBB to get Infiniti/Nissan to move forward with their approved replacements, but also without having to flex their consumer rights as well.
Pita either way with a $40K vehicle.

Bottom line...Infiniti/Nissan will admit this issue only if the consumer brings to their attention.
Personally, I'd like to see the NHTSA bring it to their attention and TELL Infiniti/Nissan to do something about it with a recall.

Sorry for the length and rant ppl. Just tired of this BS since Jan 06 when I bought my G and it's on my (the consumer) shoulders to do something about this defective VQ with the manufacture. :sigh:

Old 08-03-2007, 12:27 AM
So your saying I should take it back immediately and have them service and set up a consumption test? There is no oil change sticker and they did not tell me when it was changed last, only that it went through their big inspection a week before i bought it..

What are the chances since i bought full extended warranty to Oct 09 that I could if needed have a replacement motor? What is the consumption tolerance for Canada vs the 1 quart per 1k for the US? Will they put a new engine in that doesn't burn excessive oil, or something with 30k that also might have the same problems??

I've barely owned the car 2 weeks tomorrow.... I guess i just need the best advice on how to approach this situation and gain the best results.

Last edited by G35Sask; 08-03-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:47 AM
I thought there was another fix that's out. They reflash the prom and essentially change the valve overlap. Now they can do this and quite possible "fix" the problem, but what about all of the people that bought the car based on the performance numbers issued by Infiniti and magazines world wide. Change Valve Timing changes power curves and overall peak HP. I say more people need to press Nissan/Infiniti with the issue.
Contact your states consumer affairs with the problem and contact the BBB.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by MightyMouse
I thought there was another fix that's out. They reflash the prom and essentially change the valve overlap. Now they can do this and quite possible "fix" the problem, but what about all of the people that bought the car based on the performance numbers issued by Infiniti and magazines world wide. Change Valve Timing changes power curves and overall peak HP. I say more people need to press Nissan/Infiniti with the issue.
Contact your states consumer affairs with the problem and contact the BBB.
My bad...yeah forgot to mention that, but I don't think it solved the problem 100%. Don't remember reading any positive results with that:
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232332
So, now they replacing VQs that are not factory built but hand built.
I agree 110% with you on the power loss with the VVT tweaking. If I'm offered that, I'll deny that as a solution. Sorry...mine a rev-up @ 298hp, not a rev-up @280hp or whatever it ends up being

Guess what really gets me is there are rev-up VQ's out there that dont have this issue. Was just at a local meet and was talking with a member that has an 06 6mt just like mine with no consumption issues at all and know of a member who had (got totaled) an 05 6mt with no consumption issue either ...go figure. Why do some have this while others dont and both are rev-up VQ's with oem factory blocks and tune?

Old 08-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Add me to the list of G35s that will need a new engine. I have a 2006 6mt sedan with 6000 miles on it. Started hearing that rough engine sound, and a two days later my check engine light came on. The dealer is now checking for oil consumption on my next two or three visits in 1000 mile intervals. It sux, but I'll give them a chance make it right eventhough i'm not happy about it.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:20 PM
I am having these same issues. Infiniti told me that this is an issue in many 2006 G35 Coupes. Seriously, I am not going to keep a quart of oil in my car to fill up every 1500Miles....I have only 17K on my car right now and am BS about this.

Everyone please call and make your case with Infiniti corporate
1-800-662-6200. They will require your VIN#. The more people complain, the sooner we'll all get our cars fixed!

Old 08-15-2007, 03:55 PM
I just got back from the dealer and completing the second of three consumption tests. They informed me that I have burnt 1/2 qt of oil in 1,000 miles. We will see what the last test holds for me.

If I do end up having to have the engine replaced my car will be for sale soon after, since Nissan/Infiniti can not seem to fix the problem.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:50 PM
I already tried going in to start the oil consumption test once but the dealer told me I had to take off the oil pan spacer and get it back to stock specs. So I'm going to remove my oil pan spacer and plenum spacer before going in again. However, I am going to leave on my Stillen CAI, headers, high-flow cats, and Stillen exhaust. I don't think they can prove that my those mods would be responsible for oil consumption. And I don't think they will know that my ECU has been reflashed either...

What are the detailed steps of the oil consumption test? Right now I'm burning a quart every 500 miles...

Old 08-16-2007, 11:17 AM
whats the engine replacement threshold? I didnt measure exactly, but of the 5 qt i put in at the last oil change interval (3kmi), I had MAYBE 2-2.5 qt of oil come out of it. I know this isnt NORMAL, but in your opinion would a little over a qt or more be acceptable tolerances to excuse engine replacement?

Just not what I would expect from nissan... I've had lots of nissan cars in the past, many of which WERE heavily abused, and never had consumption problems like this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!