The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
^^^ Ditto...except I'm one of the poor saps that didn't quite make it consuming more than 1qt/1000mi to qualify for a new VQ. My worst was 1qt/1200mi. when new.
I'd be about 3qts low at your 7500 miles with my present consumption rate with 20K on odo. :sigh:

Hand built rev-up VQ's huh...
I want one...
Dammit...
Pleeeeze...
John,

I am considering revisiting my oil consumption issue with my dealership. Do you have plans to do the same?

Edit: Here is the link that Hexx was referring to. It's quite an interesting read . . . Especially, the last few pages.

Last edited by Andy2434; 07-21-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andy, could you go ahead and post that link? I'd like to read that article. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by andy2434
John,

I am considering revisiting my oil consumption issue with my dealership. Do you have plans to do the same?

Edit: Here is the link that Hexx was referring to. It's quite an interesting read . . . Especially, the last few pages.
Hey Andy...you have this issue too huh?
Don't know what good it'll do being they won't do anything replacement wise unless I'm consuming more than 1qt/1000mi.
Least that's what they told me Nissan/Infiniti guidelines are.

What's your consumption rate at?

Oh yeah...lol...where's that article link you referring to?

Was hoping for a reply from a few posts ago about someone calling and giving VIN #. Hoping for more info on that. Want to build my case as much as I can before pressing this issue with Dealer or better yet showing up with proof that mine falls in the VIN range of problem VQ's and needs replacement regardless of this stupid 1qt/1000mi acceptable threashold.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 07-22-2007 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Banned
G35 oil consumption problem...

Don't believe MOST dealer service writers since they are trained to lie. This problem does exist. My car (2006 coupe with 6mt) had to have a new motor put in at 10k miles due to running without oil even though there was no exterior leakl. Entire new long block installed under warranty through INfiniti.
Between this problem and tire problems due to messed up supension geometry, I'm not sure just how good of a car the G is. BMW 3 is starting to look better and better.
I'm sure Carlos (new CEO of Nissan) got a great deal on some cheap piston rings and jumped at it. They should go down hard for these problems.
Nissan sales are WAY down and so is quality and rankings in Consumer Reports.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:43 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by shdowflare
My non-revUP '03 6MT engine burns about 1 quart every 500 miles. Seems to have started after putting in the oil pan spacer and switching to synthetic...
Yikes, are you sure it's down to the synthetic use? I doubt the spacer would cause any issues provided it doesn't leak......

Have you considered going back to dino oil for a comparison, and do you still have warranty?

Colin.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:35 PM
I've tried a different synthetic with the same results. But I haven't gone back to dino oil yet. Can I just switch back at any time? I've heard mixed reviews about whether I should do that.

I'm kind of hoping it keeps burning oil since I would love to get a new engine. My powertrain warranty is good for another 18 months. That said, I'd have to take out my oil pan spacer before my dealership would even start the oil consumption test. So to really go that route, I'd have to get that part of the engine back to stock.

I guess I could go back to dino oil too. But if it's burning synthetic and that's what I want to use in my car, then maybe I shouldn't even waste my time with that test. I don't think the dealer would be concerned with whether my car burned dino oil if I brought it in saying that it was burning synthetic, right?

Originally Posted by Msedanman
Yikes, are you sure it's down to the synthetic use? I doubt the spacer would cause any issues provided it doesn't leak......

Have you considered going back to dino oil for a comparison, and do you still have warranty?

Colin.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Groundhog
Andy, could you go ahead and post that link? I'd like to read that article. Thanks.
Oops! Sorry . . .

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232332

Old 07-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Hey Andy...you have this issue too huh?
Don't know what good it'll do being they won't do anything replacement wise unless I'm consuming more than 1qt/1000mi.
Least that's what they told me Nissan/Infiniti guidelines are.

What's your consumption rate at?

Oh yeah...lol...where's that article link you referring to?

Was hoping for a reply from a few posts ago about someone calling and giving VIN #. Hoping for more info on that. Want to build my case as much as I can before pressing this issue with Dealer or better yet showing up with proof that mine falls in the VIN range of problem VQ's and needs replacement regardless of this stupid 1qt/1000mi acceptable threashold.
John,

Yeah, I had an engine oil consumption test performed shortly after I got my G. I also failed to meet the consumption guidelines. I would have to dig up the paperwork to see what the consumption was at that time. At some 1200 miles, I brought my g in for an engine valve train noise, which occurred during cold start ups.

My car runs fine. Since that time, I check my engine oil weekly. Truth be told, I have added some 30 qts. of oil during the past 31xxx miles.

Since my first consumption test, I have had the dealer change my oil at every 2.5k miles.

Read the link that I posted above. It appears that Nissan has known about this issue with respect to the RevUp engines and have been working on it . . . And as such, there is a new version of the RevUp engine available to resolve this issue.

I will be scheduling another test, tomorrow.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Ok, now you guys can add my car to the list. I just got back from the dealer. They performed a consumption test on the car. They said it used a quart and a half in 2000 miles. Waiting to hear back from Infiniti. The service manager said he hasn't heard of this issue before, but in his eyes, it is excessive. We'll see what Infiniti has to say. I should get the call tomorrow. If they do replace the engine, I'm worried about resale value due to unmatched numbers. If they don't replace the engine, the car is going to be traded in. The car is a 2005 6MT with only 12,000 miles on it and the tires already have to be replaced. I've had it in for body mouldings coming off, rattles, and now this. Totally unacceptable for a car in this price range. Too bad though.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:06 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by andy2434
John,

Yeah, I had an engine oil consumption test performed shortly after I got my G. I also failed to meet the consumption guidelines. I would have to dig up the paperwork to see what the consumption was at that time. At some 1200 miles, I brought my g in for an engine valve train noise, which occurred during cold start ups.

My car runs fine. Since that time, I check my engine oil weekly. Truth be told, I have added some 30 qts. of oil during the past 31xxx miles.

Since my first consumption test, I have had the dealer change my oil at every 2.5k miles.

Read the link that I posted above. It appears that Nissan has known about this issue with respect to the RevUp engines and have been working on it . . . And as such, there is a new version of the RevUp engine available to resolve this issue.

I will be scheduling another test, tomorrow.
Thanks for the link.
Only additional thing I read and not mentioned here was the possible VVT issue and ecu reprogramming with factory VQ's.

I mentioned quite awhile back here to file a complaint to the http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ and if enough complaints, they would investigate and possibly force Nissan/Infiniti to do a recall on these.

Sounds as though presently, you have to force Nissan/Infiniti to do something about it even after 3 confirmed consumption tests by getting the BBB involved.

Keep us posted on your consumption test results.

Most likely I'll have to go back to oem dino 5w-30 for their testing, I'm assuming.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah, they originally told me that it was because I was using synthetic. I went back to regular oil and the loss continued.

I found a car I want to trade mine in on, but now I have to wait to find out if the engine is going to be replaced or not. This sucks, I was supposed to hear back from Inf. yesterday, but I called today and they said at least a few more days. WTF? Meanwhile, I'm hoping the car I want won't get sold out from under me.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by cgocifer1
Yeah, they originally told me that it was because I was using synthetic. I went back to regular oil and the loss continued.

I found a car I want to trade mine in on, but now I have to wait to find out if the engine is going to be replaced or not. This sucks, I was supposed to hear back from Inf. yesterday, but I called today and they said at least a few more days. WTF? Meanwhile, I'm hoping the car I want won't get sold out from under me.
You're screwed, they're not going to replace your engine until it breaks down. I just got off the phone with Consumer affairs and my local dealer told them that my driving habits are to blame for my car problems. First oil consumption. then.. I brougt it back 4 times for a noise I was hearing, they kept saying they couldn't hear it.. then they said it was my CAI..
I put the stock intake on and brought it back because i still heard the noise.. .. they had me drive it for them.. finally they heard it.. loose motor mount.... but it's my driving habits huh? (amazing how that happened after they replaced my engine.. isn't it).
I'm sueing for my money back.. I'm thinking about a class-A and I'm going to contact Consumer Reports as well as my local news station to screw my dealer the way they tried to screw me.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:59 AM
in all honesty. should i sell this damn car and get a 240 or something?

Old 07-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Good news: Just came back from the dealer and they've put me on the list for a long block.

Bad news: The waiting list is long, so the service manager says it could be 3-5 months out.

Surprisingly, everything went pretty smooth. I brought my car in back in June. They said I was down to one quart of oil at the time. I had to have them do an oil service to start the consumption test. I insisted on Mobil1 since that's what I've been using since 5,000 miles. They charged me $80, doh. I put about 1500 miles on the car since. Brought it in today, and they said it burned off about one quart of oil. Added me to the replacement list, washed my car, and off I went.

Only thing that sucks about this is that I was thinking about selling the car and getting a M35/45, but now I've got to wait out this engine replacement. Btw, mine is an 2004 6MT with about 46K miles. Good luck to the rest of you. Will keep you guys updated on the progress...

Old 07-27-2007, 01:09 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by MightyMouse
...my local dealer told them that my driving habits are to blame for my car problems....
Mine said the same thing to me, dont know if they reported that to Corp though. Thats such a BS excuse. I stated that fact in my complaint to the NHTSA as well.
Originally Posted by GsUpHoesDown
...I put about 1500 miles on the car since. Brought it in today, and they said it burned off about one quart of oil. Added me to the replacement list, washed my car, and off I went....Btw, mine is an 2004 6MT with about 46K miles. Good luck to the rest of you. Will keep you guys updated on the progress...
Nice to hear they replacing yours that above the 1qt/1000mi threashold. Plus yours an 04 non-revup VQ.
Interesting...good info to know, being its mostly the rev-ups plagued with this issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!