The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nctrnlsilvia
Mine started doing the noise two days ago as well as the oil light would flash when I braked.Unfortunately I been driving it since, I contacted the dealerand told them about what its doing, they said they would look at it on friday.My question is I have a kenetix upper plenum on, but I got rid of the stock one months back,do you think they will use the plenum as an excuse?By the way it has 45k miles on it. Thanks for the help.
No, my dealer put my Kinetix back on the car when the replaced the engine.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Hey guys, i'm new here and looking to get as much info as possible cause I am looking to get a g35 when the 08's come out. and the oil issue is a big concern for me.
I figured it would be worth a shot to call infiniti consumer affiars like most people have done to see whats being done and the lady told me it all on what the VIN number is for the car...stating the cars with a particular VIN are effected. Does anyone know that to be true?
Also if I happen to purchase a used one thats out of warranty, lets say it has 50k miles on and its from a private seller or a non-infiniti dealer...could i purchase an extended warranty from infiniti??
Also was it the '03/'04 motor that had this problem or was it the '05 and up RevUp motors that had the oil problem, or is it all years??
I plan on getting a Coupe 6spd.

Thanks Guys

Last edited by DrewQ1; 05-29-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I found out about this last January '06 while at the track day at Laguna Seca. I was on th elast session of the day when I hit the hair pin just after the pit row entrance and I started getting that rattling noise. I let off hitting the throttle hard and was hoping to make it back around the track. The rattle went away on the staight, but then came back on turn 2 and 3. The car started slowing down by turn 4 and when I pushed in the clutch, that engine stopped! When the car was taken to the dealer, they said that my oil change intervals were not consisitant. I changed about every 6K because I was running synthetic oil. Mobile 1 at that time said we could run a vehicle at least 8K. So I had to find a replacement engine. Found one from a 350Z with 19K on it. Then I had to replace the tranny due to the engine seizing. I found out from one of the techs at Riverside Infinti that some other guy brought his car in for pretty much the same thing and because his oil change intervals were closer together, they replaced his motor the first time. So as long as your changes are what Infiniti considers consistant, your O.K. I still love my G, and because of the money I've put into it, I better. I'd lose on it if I tried to sell it. And by the way, I've done quite a few mods to it.

Later,

Ray

Old 05-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Im going to keep an eye out on mine now that not cool at all. I just got my G about a month ago if i have this problem soon it will fly threw the front dealership window you can count on it. IM INSURED HA. good luck guys keep us updated.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Another update after dealer tried putting in heavier weight oil 2K miles ago:

- Now the dipstick is completely dry after 2K miles...
- 2006 G35 6MT with only 10.8K miles on ODO
- At 8K miles I had new short block installed
- FUUUUUUUUCKK! This engine blows...

Old 06-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Did she give any explicity details as to what VIN's are affected? Considering the ppl on the forums that have reported issues appear to be from ALL years, unless the VIN differentiates 6MT's from AT's I somewhat doubt the VIN can really do much help.

Originally Posted by DrewQ1
Hey guys, i'm new here and looking to get as much info as possible cause I am looking to get a g35 when the 08's come out. and the oil issue is a big concern for me.
I figured it would be worth a shot to call infiniti consumer affiars like most people have done to see whats being done and the lady told me it all on what the VIN number is for the car...stating the cars with a particular VIN are effected. Does anyone know that to be true?
Also if I happen to purchase a used one thats out of warranty, lets say it has 50k miles on and its from a private seller or a non-infiniti dealer...could i purchase an extended warranty from infiniti??
Also was it the '03/'04 motor that had this problem or was it the '05 and up RevUp motors that had the oil problem, or is it all years??
I plan on getting a Coupe 6spd.

Thanks Guys

Old 06-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by NorCalGRide

I just don't understand this shit. My 2005 "rev up" sedan has almost 50K on it and it uses less than a pint between changes (5000 miles).

Old 06-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Ok, so here’s the status… wait, wait, wait for it… 3 quarts burnt in 1,800 miles!!! Had I not checked before the next oil change I’d run her dry.

Oh yeah, and this is on a brand new short block filled with 10/30 oil !!! (I originally thought it was 10/40 in error)

I’m back on a new oil consumption test. My dealer is super nice and helpful but doesn’t have a solution. Apparently Infiniti has finally acknowledged the “excessive oil consumption” problem – it is now under the first page of “Engine” section of the dealer bulletin log. However there has not been an official service bulletin issued yet. Dealer said they’ve been told to expect one within a month… we’ll see…

Old 06-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator
Apparently Infiniti has finally acknowledged the “excessive oil consumption” problem – it is now under the first page of “Engine” section of the dealer bulletin log. However there has not been an official service bulletin issued yet. Dealer said they’ve been told to expect one within a month… we’ll see…
Excellent, that is a step in the right direction. Now, if they only pick up the pace and afford a long term resolve.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have insisted on a long block bro. I insisted on a long block. I told them, no long block, no deal. I will pull my mods and I will be returning the car and getting a lawyer (I would be driving a 335 right now if they hadn't agreed ). Anyways, they didn't argue and I got my long block. That seems to have done the trick. My new engine is running strong so far and more importantly, not consuming oil.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:47 AM
I had a 2003 350z for 3 years with NO engine oil problems, actually no problems really. I bought my 06 g35 coupe last year, and within 3000 miles I started to hear the rattle noises. I changed the oil thinking it was burning quickly due to engine break in. At 5000 miles, it started to rattle again, and then again at 8000. I started the oil consumption test, which the dealership screwed up on, and I have to start from scratch the second time around. I am starting to feel like I got screwed on this car. While I love it, this is unacceptable for a new car.

Anyhow, point is.. I believe this is happening to a lot more than 2 or 3 people.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:00 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
You should have insisted on a long block bro. I insisted on a long block. I told them, no long block, no deal. I will pull my mods and I will be returning the car and getting a lawyer (I would be driving a 335 right now if they hadn't agreed ). Anyways, they didn't argue and I got my long block. That seems to have done the trick. My new engine is running strong so far and more importantly, not consuming oil.
Awesome Hex...glad to hear.

For everyone else other than Hex .......

Found this TSB on Amsoil's site about Nissan oil consumption (possible bad rings) and to check oil level every 700 miles , but they did up the engine warranty coverage to 84mo / 100K mi. Unfortunately this not about our G's, but maybe soon for ours, idk. Not holding my breath. It'd be nice if they would own up to our G's and Z's consumption.

TSB_Nissan_oil_consumption.pdf

Old 06-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Awesome Hex...glad to hear.

For everyone else other than Hex .......

Found this TSB on Amsoil's site about Nissan oil consumption (possible bad rings) and to check oil level every 700 miles , but they did up the engine warranty coverage to 84mo / 100K mi. Unfortunately this not about our G's, but maybe soon for ours, idk. Not holding my breath. It'd be nice if they would own up to our G's and Z's consumption.

Attachment 71729
haha! Thanks bro. When I got my new engine I was told that it had re-designed or different rings than they used to use before (I forget which). But yeah, it definitely seems to be a problem with the rings.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 PM
have nissan throw them nismo cams while at it too.... just wishful thinking...
i do hope my 6mt revup don't suffer the same trajedy.... acutually i wouldn't mind having the new dual throttle VQ35HR motor....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!