The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great. Just great.

Last edited by Glex25; 05-06-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:50 PM
TRN
This kind of makes me nervous as I just purchased my 06.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Slightly better gas mileage, but not good for engine longevity. Not enough high ambient temp protection, especially in what state you live in for the summer months.

It's a game the US auto manufactures use to meet their CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) Standards that were passed by US Congress.
Oh I know why they recomend it. This pig gets 16 to 19 mpg max. Even at 65 mph.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Just finished my 2nd leg of the oil consumption test and was four quarts low after 1500 miles. First leg I was about 3.5 qts low around 1000 miles. I gave the dealer all my oil change receipts and the factory just authorized my new motor! Should be installed by the end of the week for my return from California!

TT here I come!

Old 05-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by shdowflare
Just finished my 2nd leg of the oil consumption test and was four quarts low after 1500 miles. First leg I was about 3.5 qts low around 1000 miles. I gave the dealer all my oil change receipts and the factory just authorized my new motor! Should be installed by the end of the week for my return from California!

TT here I come!
I wish you the best on your new motor. Break in before you toss on the TT set up. Make sure the new one isn't burning any oil.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks - it's definitely been a long road but I'm hoping this engine's rock solid so i can make this car nasty...

Old 05-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

06 6mt coupe. Bought is at just under 15k. changed oil as soon as I got it. had to add a quart after 1500, another at 3000. changed oil again at 3500 and a 1/2 quart low again.

that's 2 1/2 quarts in under 4k miles.

I start my OCT on wednesday. Yea me

Old 05-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^Welcome to the unfortunate rev-up VQ OC club.
Hope all goes your way with testing from dealer...mine didn't and still no new VQ.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by kennyb
I would not go in the dealer flashing TSBs off the break. Just simply voice your concern about the OC and ask to have a OC test done. When they do, don't touch oil cap, bolt or dip stick cause they will mark them and void test if tampered with. Main thing is to play dumb, don't talk about OC victims on this site and TSBs to the dealer till it is needed and be nice to the Service Manager cause they can refuse service to your car. Good Luck Champ!
I fully disagree. You need to go in there educated and know what you are talking about. They know all about the tsb and if you do too and make that clear from the start you will be better off.

I went in today, said my under 20k 6mt burned 2.5 quarts in 3500 miles and I think it is effected by the same problem they had the OC TSB about. They checked the vin and scheduled me for an oil change and start of an oil consumption test on wednesday. No arguments and they also said the oil change they must do to start the test is covered under the tsb. No cost to me at all.

squeaky wheel that knows what's up gets the oil, and a new VQ

Old 05-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Seems like more and more 6mt drivers are having the oil consumption problem. Makes me think twice about buying one. I tried to look for G35's with Vin numbers later than M910256 but found nothing. I'm assuming that all g35's including all 2007's are having this problem. I wonder if the G37's are going through this issue. Might have to hold back and purchase a G37...

Old 05-21-2008, 03:00 AM
6MT Coupe
After second visit on testing got approved for my V2 and it's been ordered.
Oh boy...here I go. Hope it's a winner and not a failure...or going from frying pan into the fire. I'm tired of this OC issue I've had since Jan 2006.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:43 PM
I have to say my local dealer has been very good about this. No attempt at all to deny my concern. started my OC test today. Dealer paid for the oil change, no tie off on the dipstick so I can monitor the loss myself, notes put in to infiniti on the first work order said customer concern validated by dealer inspection. Off the record they told me come back twice after 1000 miles each so they can put the info into the infiniti database so they get reimbursed and they will order the new long block. They also assured a loaner for as long as it takes to do the repair will be provided.

Ugly situation but so far they are stepping up to make it right.

Last edited by PTownG; 05-21-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
After second visit on testing got approved for my V2 and it's been ordered.
Oh boy...here I go. Hope it's a winner and not a failure...or going from frying pan into the fire. I'm tired of this OC issue I've had since Jan 2006.
you'll be fine. It's a $10k fix under warranty and they don't want to be doing it twice

Old 05-22-2008, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
I have to say my local dealer has been very good about this. No attempt at all to deny my concern. started my OC test today. Dealer paid for the oil change, no tie off on the dipstick so I can monitor the loss myself, notes put in to infiniti on the first work order said customer concern validated by dealer inspection. Off the record they told me come back twice after 1000 miles each so they can put the info into the infiniti database so they get reimbursed and they will order the new long block. They also assured a loaner for as long as it takes to do the repair will be provided.

Ugly situation but so far they are stepping up to make it right.
My dealer was the same...they're either going to work for or against you. Your relationship with your dealer is key. Having the dealer on your side is huge. The factory relies on them to make the initial call on whether you need the engine or not, and whether you are still "within factory specs".

1. Find a friendly dealer.
2. Keep the relationship strong.

Those two things will do wonders for this type of work...

Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
you'll be fine. It's a $10k fix under warranty and they don't want to be doing it twice
Thanks hope so, but it's a little hard not to be pessimistic when I still read about OC failures with these replacements, including the 350Z's on their thread.
Flip side...have read many successes too.

Break-in method is the key imo to have sucessful V2's. So with that said, I'll be optimistic with mine when I get it.
Originally Posted by shdowflare
My dealer was the same...they're either going to work for or against you. Your relationship with your dealer is key. Having the dealer on your side is huge. The factory relies on them to make the initial call on whether you need the engine or not, and whether you are still "within factory specs"....
Very true and I had then and still have, good relations with that dealer.
It was the mechanic that played me first time.
This second time I respectfully called them out on that and didn't let my G out of my sight.
The follow-up wasn't with that mechanic + always had G in sight = true OC reading = obvious qualification per TSB.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!