The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well back from the dealer for the 2nd time with this problem. Last time they told me to drive 1000 miles or so and come back for an oil consumption test. I was at 1350 miles yesterday when it went in and they did not tell me how much it was low, but did say it was significant enough that they were sending the report to Infiniti corporate for the engineers to look at it. The dealer said Infiniti is aware of the problem and will fix my car somehow. He said possibly an engine teardown to replace the rings or even as far as replacing the engine. I was told they topped the oil off and to continue driving to 3000 miles then come in for regular oil change and they should have and answer from Infiniti on how they will proceed.

I'll tell ya this is so frustrting. I understand they are having engine issues and things happen, but I feel I should be given the opportunity to get out of the car and both parties move on. It is not even fun to drive it anymore because I know I have this oil leak problem and I am sure because of it the car is down somewhat on power. It all adds up to a pain in the @$$, but I am still expected to make my lovely monthly payments like nothing is wrong.

Granted I had a BMW before this and the payments were higher, but this still is a $35,000 car and not a 20 year old car with 200,000+ miles on it. Damn I had a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 that burned less oil.

I had a bunch of mod projects that all can't be done and who would want to do them on an engine that is most likely down on HP due to blow by. Oh well looks like I will be waiting another month or so for the next installment of this situation.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Relax!

Oil consumption does not necessarily equate to power loss. My G (I am the thread starter BTW) just drinks the stuff, but pulls just as hard as ever. This weekend I was at the beach with my friend who has a brand new 2006 Mustang GT. I'll be dammed that the Mustang just barely pulled on me (no question that it was faster, but not much faster). We swapped cars and he was very impressed with my G. And you think we have a bad shifter, just try driving a 5 speed Mustang. Your hand slams into the consol on the 2-3 shift (horrendous design).

My thought is that I want a new engine, and I will drive this thing into the ground until I get one

Old 09-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by ResIpsa
My G (I am the thread starter BTW) just drinks the stuff, but pulls just as hard as ever........... My thought is that I want a new engine, and I will drive this thing into the ground until I get one
I'm the one who bump your thread after 2 weeks glad you started it, if you hadn't I would've started one. But that's neither here or there.

Mine still pulls strong too, I quess. Base dyno SAE corrected @ 237hp/216tq, seen better on bone stock rev-up G's. And yeah, personally all I want is a VQ that doesn't have this excessive consumption problem compared to others that don't for $40K.

Like I said before, I'll bring her in when she's a quart low and have it documented. Then perhaps I can mention/insist that a oil comsumption study be started and the Nissan engineers be notified like 'onex' dealer has for him and if memory serves, basically for you too ResIpsa, with your Dealer.
Patience will pay off, hopefully, by documenting and following Infiniti's channels to warrant an engine replacement. (maybe with a VQ35HR...haha...in my dreams )

I still feel my driving habits have nothing to do with this as the Dealer noted in their system as to why. I've never red-lined her. Not even on my base dyno pulls. Tech said there's no reason to, hp/tq on the way down so whats the point. Valid reason and accepted in my reasoning. Yeah, sure, I go WOT sometimes and wind her up at times (keeps the ECU in check ), that's what this G was built for, no? It wasn't built or enginerred to drive to church only on Sundays or to the grocery store or a soccer mom like in a FX35.

So in conclusion, I'm with you ResIpsa, drive it into the ground if that's what it takes to get Nissan to own up to their crappy compression oil ring supplier on some of their VQ's. I'm not changing my driving habits because of this. I drive my 97' F-350 Ford diesel and my old 92' Lude way harder than my G and never have/had this problem. F-350 PowerStroke Diesel Turbo 7.2L...1/2 quart/5000mi, 130K on odo, pulls heavy loads every Effin' day. 92 Lude beaten very hard...son beats it harder 1qt/5000mi with almost 150K on odo. Oh...2001 VW Jetta (wife's) just turned 100K, 2.0 4 banger gas, 1/2qt per 5000mi.

Again, if there's ever a class action suit over this, I'm in like flies on dung.

Not impressed with Nissan going with the low bidder on their oil ring suppliers (assumption to the random cause). Bad enough they cut corners with no Brembos on 05-06's and gave us whatever these calipars are on the G's now.
HEH!!!

My rant is over......

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 09-06-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Any followup from the people negotiating with Infiniti? I'd be interested in hearing. Also, is there any correlation between the motors with problems and the type of oil used?

GH

Old 09-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation New Engine Time

I brought my car in last week for the first oil consumption test. After checking the oil, the service manager told me that it was 1/2 quart low (however, I knew this was false because they had overfilled it on the last oil change.) When we sat down in his office I excused myself and got my service manual. After he saw me jotting down notes, he recorded the oil consumption on the computer as a quart low (can’t tell you what made him change). Then the magic words, “come back in 1000 miles and you’ll get a new engine.”

However, he wanted me to come back the next day and get a quart of oil. Apparently, the service manager cannot get to the oil after 5:00 p.m.

Eventually he agreed to let me get the quart at a Nissan dealership next to my work. I will say that the Nissan dealership was much more suspicious about my oil consumption. The service manager flat out asked me what it was I was trying to get from the oil consumption test. My reply, “a new motor.”

He just scowled and told me a story of one of his customers who dogged out his Z and had the same problem. He emphasized that Nissan only gives one extra motor. He then went off on a tirade on the proper way to break in a motor. My response, “hey, I got it with 800 miles.”

Of interesting note, they checked my oil and told me that the level was fine (I did not bother to tell them that Infiniti had overfilled it). They even went so far as to draw a diagram of the level of the oil (exactly between high and low on the dipstick), made notes about my K&N drop in filter and missing engine cover (thank God I took the MREV off, they would have spotted it). Great, I have more documentation of my cars thirst for oil. 800 miles later, she’s almost below the low mark on the dipstick. I’m going to drop off my G tomorrow. I’ll let you know.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:43 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by ResIpsa
I brought my car in last week for the first oil consumption test. After checking the oil, the service manager told me that it was 1/2 quart low (however, I knew this was false because they had overfilled it on the last oil change.) When we sat down in his office I excused myself and got my service manual. After he saw me jotting down notes, he recorded the oil consumption on the computer as a quart low (can’t tell you what made him change). Then the magic words, “come back in 1000 miles and you’ll get a new engine.”

However, he wanted me to come back the next day and get a quart of oil. Apparently, the service manager cannot get to the oil after 5:00 p.m.

Eventually he agreed to let me get the quart at a Nissan dealership next to my work. I will say that the Nissan dealership was much more suspicious about my oil consumption. The service manager flat out asked me what it was I was trying to get from the oil consumption test. My reply, “a new motor.”

He just scowled and told me a story of one of his customers who dogged out his Z and had the same problem. He emphasized that Nissan only gives one extra motor. He then went off on a tirade on the proper way to break in a motor. My response, “hey, I got it with 800 miles.”

Of interesting note, they checked my oil and told me that the level was fine (I did not bother to tell them that Infiniti had overfilled it). They even went so far as to draw a diagram of the level of the oil (exactly between high and low on the dipstick), made notes about my K&N drop in filter and missing engine cover (thank God I took the MREV off, they would have spotted it). Great, I have more documentation of my cars thirst for oil. 800 miles later, she’s almost below the low mark on the dipstick. I’m going to drop off my G tomorrow. I’ll let you know.
Yup, 800 mile per quart I'd say is valid for engine replacement.
That Nissan dealer sounded like a jerk.
I would've said, gimmy my oil and don't worry about me and my G.
It's already in Nissans system for oil consumption and I'm getting an engine replacement after the next 1000 miles anyway, so kiss my ...
Keep us posted.

Me...haven't driven my G much since my dealer recorded my oil useage and oil change.
Guess about the same with 1/2 qt down on 600 miles driven so far. When she's a qt low, I'll go to my dealer and let them document the mileage.
I may be running a close second with you on an engine...hopefully.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Yup, 800 mile per quart I'd say is valid for engine replacement.
That used to be (1970) within "acceptable" limits for a Chevy.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:56 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Texasscout
That used to be (1970) within "acceptable" limits for a Chevy.
Haha...
That's sad but true, same with Fix Or Repair Daily.
But that was 30+ years ago. Engines in general have come a long way since then.
Still find 1000mi/quart unacceptable in todays engineering and standards for consumers.
If it were a full out race engine, well okay, but under those conditions who cares.
Race engines are only good for basically one race anyways. They get torn down and rebuilt or replaced anyways, so oil consumption is no big deal, except for the fact that oil robs power in the combustion chamber.

Hmmm...wonder if Nissans new VQ35HR will have the same problem.
Let's hope not.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by D87
So if there's no leak where does the oil go?
Is it leaking as you drive and dripping on the road?
Passes the rings and goes out the exhaust.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by VG35
Passes the rings and goes out the exhaust.
Or thru the valve guides.

I friend had Corvair Van (yes a van!) the used very little oil, but the motor was always covered in it. The mechanic said, "that's because it's coming out here and running back in over here"

Looked like this:

Old 09-20-2006, 08:56 PM
is there a correlation between motor problems and a specific type of oil

Old 09-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Everything you have always wanted to know about motor oil, but were afraid to ask: Motor Oil Bible

This one is good too, Viscosity and engine wear

Last edited by Texasscout; 09-20-2006 at 09:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Justice06RR (07-16-2015)
Old 09-23-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm going to Infiniti of Kirkland this morning to pick up my car to begin my 1000 mile testing period for oil consumption. I started noticing a rattling type noise Wednesday morning and by the afternoon I was freakin out. So I had my soon to be brother-in-law look at it and he couldn't figure it out and my friend couldn't as well. Didn't want to have to deal with removing the mods if I didn't have to. Needless to say, Thursday night we took out my MREV and CAI and replaced with stock parts and I took it in Friday morning to get checked out. They told me to drive the 1000 miles and they'll check it again. If it fails. New engine.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Everything you have always wanted to know about motor oil, but were afraid to ask: Motor Oil Bible

This one is good too, Viscosity and engine wear
great thanks.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but when people on this thread are saying 1/2 quart low/down, are they saying that 1/2 a quart of oil has been consumed? Or are they saying that they are down to 1/2 a quart in total?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!