The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Yes, it is scary. Some ppl not aware of this and just drive and drive untill their engine starts to make horrible noises, then it's sometimes too late...internals damaged.
Read these horrible stories in other posts.

Ummm anyway, because the dip stick is so retarded in accurately seeing the level after the engine has run (like checking at a gas station), I usually check it in the morning, on level ground (like in a garage) before I start her up. But if that's not an option for you, maybe after work/school (don't know your age ) in the parking lot or after say 30 min. to let all the oil on the stick completely drain off.

I'd for sure would also do the break-in recommendations Infiniti states, (think stay under 4000 rpm for first 1200miles) that way they can't say it's your fault due to incorrect break-in proceedures if you end up like us.

I'll hope for your sake, you don't have one of these oil thirsty VQ's. Not all have this problem...which confuses me to no end. I did the correct break-in and it didn't matter...ended up with an oil thirsty VQ anyway.

G/L

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 10-11-2006 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:10 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Odd...after almost 5 years of reviews of how reliable the G35 engine is....
this thread pops up.......

I'll check my oil too.....but then I usually do anyway....

Here to put things in perspective is Road and Tracks long term study
on the G35X.....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3443

Last edited by dec55; 10-12-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:27 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Damn, now i'm glad i got my 5at. No oil eating problems and i beat on my car all day, every day... I'm just messin with you guys, i work on extreme4377's car. The first time we noticed his engine knocking he was 2+ quarts low. Took it to the dealer and no more than 1500 miles later i added 2.5 quarts. This isnt right that a $40K car cant hold its oil. Were waiting to put the mrev2 on his car but i wont do it til he gets a new engine or inifniti solves his problem. Until then, i'll just keep winning when we race.
-GP-

Old 10-11-2006, 04:03 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by dec55
Odd...after almost 5 years of rewiews of how reliable the G35 engine is....
this thread pops up.......

I'll check my oil too.....but then I usually do anyway....

Here to put things in perspective is Road and Tracks long term study
on the G35X.....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3443
Bet if they used any of our oil drinking G's in that review, their story would be different.
That G was obviously not one with this known problem.
The one tested btw was only a 260bhp VQ. If I'm not mistaken, this is happening with the 280bhp and probably more so with the 298bhp VQ's only.
Other G and Z fourms, as well as different posts here, have talked about this too. This is not a new issue nor is this the only post about this problem.

Try reading this whole post starting with #1 and do a search on this topic as well. Also search on the subject of 'oil catch can', then see if your perspective is still the same as Road and Tracks test on that one 2004 G35X 260bhp VQ.

Nissan/Infiniti is very aware of and is and not going to announce, disclose or publish publicly this problem and has not to my knowledge to the general public. From what I've read in fourms and other posts is Nissan engineers themselves do not know why some VQ's do and some VQ's don't drink oil.

But their new VQ35HR has a new block design for higher rpm's and less stress on the cylinder walls and rings. Maybe they did figure something out about our old VQ's and fixed it in the new VQ35HR. Only time will tell us that.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 10-11-2006 at 04:06 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is nasty. I'm picking up my brand new '07 coupe this Friday. Should I break it in as stated in the manual or "drive it like I stole it"?? Can you guys give me any suggestions?

Old 10-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Bet if they used any of our oil drinking G's in that review, their story would be different.
That G was obviously not one with this known problem.
The one tested btw was only a 260bhp VQ. If I'm not mistaken, this is happening with the 280bhp and probably more so with the 298bhp VQ's only.
Other G and Z fourms, as well as different posts here, have talked about this too. This is not a new issue nor is this the only post about this problem.

Try reading this whole post starting with #1 and do a search on this topic as well. Also search on the subject of 'oil catch can', then see if your perspective is still the same as Road and Tracks test on that one 2004 G35X 260bhp VQ.

Nissan/Infiniti is very aware of and is and not going to announce, disclose or publish publicly this problem and has not to my knowledge to the general public. From what I've read in fourms and other posts is Nissan engineers themselves do not know why some VQ's do and some VQ's don't drink oil.

But their new VQ35HR has a new block design for higher rpm's and less stress on the cylinder walls and rings. Maybe they did figure something out about our old VQ's and fixed it in the new VQ35HR. Only time will tell us that.

I have been bascially reading all the post in this thead...and yes for the most
part, except for a couple of 5sp ATs, the vast majority are the MTs....maybe
a recall will have to be made.......on these. Infiniti has made too much money on a good PR campaign and word of mouth...it will be interesting
how they will deal with this if it is very widespread.

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
^^^Forgot to mention that there are other posts on this similiar subject and some have AT's in those other posts too. So, there's more than one 5AT G with this issue.
But yeah, probably more 6mt's than 5AT's in general. But that's only for 05-06's. 03-04 6mt's are non rev-up VQ's anyways.
Point was it's happening to non rev-up VQ's too.

The infiniti Coupe is the most popular...and started with 280hp...as you said
in your last post..some 03 and 04 MTs seem to have the same syptoms.
I definitely will be monitoring my oil.

Thanks for the heads up 06CPV35.. I hope Infiniti makes good on the
engine replacements on all the cars effected....they really need to fix this.

Last edited by dec55; 10-11-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So is it exactly 1 quart from the H to L mark on the dipstick?

Old 10-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Checked my oil this morning and it is just barely below the L mark on the dipstick. No leaks or oil on the ground. Looks like I am gonna have to put one more quart in today after work. Is it possible that I was 3 quarts low?!?!?!?!? This is unbelieveable!

Old 10-11-2006, 12:41 PM
6MT Coupe
Quote to: dec55:

Not sure if 03-04's have it too, think most don't when they chime in and state...mine doesn't do that.
My point mentioning those years was to point out that in those years, the 6mt's were non rev-up VQ's unlike the 05-06's.

A recall would be great, but I doubt that will ever happen, being Nissan really doesn't know why it happens on some and not others.
Plus it would be real bad PR for them if it became publicly known as a recall or through the media globally. They're not dummies when it comes to their image at stake and their awards on the VQ. Plus, it's not a safety issue, so the NHTSA... http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/ ...is not going to force Nissan/Infiniti to recall this issue, even if it were widespread.

They're keeping a low profile for sure, but their Dealers know about this issue from Nissan Corp. and their engineers.
When I mentioned this consumption to my Dealer, they knew before I could tell them that Nissan set in place the 1qt/1000mi threshold as being acceptable consumption before any warranty is honored for this issue. They were well aware of this issue.
I learned this from other ppl saying the same thing on post/threads about what their Dealer told them prior to me going to mine.

Wish J.D. Powers would send me another survey, I didn't have this issue yet with the first or second they sent. Maybe they'll send one after a year of ownership for a 1yr.follow-up, then I can tell them.
Consumer Reports would be a good one too, but think you have to be a subscriber to give them feed-back on vehicle reliability.

It's just sad, $40K Nissan/Infiniti that consumes oil like this and 1qt/1000 is acceptable to them.
Don't think I'll ever buy another Nissan/Infiniti vehicle if it has the VQ35DE powerplant.
I love my G, but this really sux, especially if my consumption never goes past the acceptable consumption amount and then I'm stuck with this issue for the life of the engine.

On a side note:
Heard the type and grade of oil has an effect on the VQ's with this oil issue. Highly debated subject to say the least.
Do know this about mine though, during the time of my 1st to 2nd oil service, only used one quart. Factory oil I've read is 10/40 from a maintenance guru on here.
2nd to 3rd oil change, my consumption was the worst, 2 quarts during that time, worst being 1qt/1200mi near the time for the next oil service.
Now I'm within my 3rd oil change and the consumption seems to be less. 1000mi so far and only approx 2/3 qt down.
The Dealer has done all my oil services. Don't know what brand oil used on my second service but it was 5/30 dino. This last service they used Caster Oil 5/30 dino, at least that's what the little sticker on my windshield says. A little less in consumption, but not much.

Ironically, I wish it would get worse. That way I can get new engine (hopefully not assembled on a Monday or Friday...lol), start over and been done with this crap.

This truly is a PITA and I'm very disappointed with this on a $40K vehicle.
My current Ford, Honda, and VW's don't come close to having this problem.

Sorry for the novel, just voicing my opinions, personal experience and passing on the research I've read on this issue.
My rant is over.
I'll up date if it ever gets worse and I finely get a new engine.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:14 PM
:lol I just checked my oil level....*whew*.....it is still normal....

I have a 06/AT......btw. Still I think the folks who have oil problems should
really make Infiniti look at this on a public level....

1. Get a world wide study on how many cars are effected...

2. Replace or fix the engines to the satisfaction of the customers.....

3. Promote to the hilt that they fixed the problem and get surveys
of the customers who have had their cars fixed.

If they do this within a year or so....they will have millions of customers
that will be hooked on their car company for life......

What ever millions they spend to fix the problem,
they will get 10 millions more dollars for the honesty
and care for their customers.....

This is the only way to run a good business.

Last edited by dec55; 11-07-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:13 PM
06CPV35 - I am with you 100% bro. I am very disappointed by this right now. Thing is, my 05 G did not have this problem. Being a year newer, I never would have thought that my 06 would be having this issue. And this is a major issue that Nissan/Infiniti needs to address. As long as they take care of the issue, I will be happy cuz I love my baby. But right now I am NOT happy and they will definitely know about this problem.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im taking my car in next week probably. Im driving up to LA tomorrow to get my HFC and H-techs and see my girl, Im hoping my car makes it there and back without having to add oil. If I add oil, the oil consumption test that they do when I take it in will be void and Ill have to start from square one again. They need to fix this, its just not acceptable

Old 10-12-2006, 12:34 AM
How many miles on your G extreme?? It's unbelievable to think of an 06 vehicle having this problem.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:30 AM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hit 10,600 tonight. After 396 miles since the dealer changed my oil, its low. Im worried about driving it to LA and back so Im taking a quart with me. Ill be in their faces if they give me crap about adding oil (if I need to). Excuse me for liviing my life and driving where I want to drive

How many on yours hector?

Old 10-12-2006, 02:13 AM
Just hit 3,800 bro. And I've already had to put 3 quarts in total and I am still low. But it goes to the dealer Tuesday.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!