The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was trying to get an oil reading on my car the other night. I only got 198 miles on it. I drove it last night for like 30 minutes then parked it for 10 then tried to get a read and it was clear oil past the H. The bottom of the dip was tinted a bit but most of the oil was clear. Is this normal? Hope the dealer didn't overfill.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by gmoney1227
Hey there, I've been reading the thread regarding the oil consumption and the rattle noises that it makes. From what I understand, once the car is rattling due to this issue, damage has probably happened already. But what I want to ask you is how exactly is this rattle? I ask because I've noticed a rattle in my car when I take off in first gear, and slight on second gear and that's it. I dont' hear it at all in any other gear so I'm thinking this rattle is not related to the oil issue. Can you please confirm or explain how the oil issue rattle is?

I have taken the car to the dealer regarding this rattle and what they did was lube up the rear axles and the tech guy told me that after he did that and did a test drive, the rattle in first and second when taking off quickly or punching it is normal. But I hadn't read this thread so I don't know if the tech was just telling me what I wanna hear when he says that's normal. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Low oil can cause several types of noises. Valve tappets, a clicking to a hammering sound on acceleration. Rod bearings, a low deep knocking that ANYONE would know is NOT GOOD

I think you are fine. Everyone is freaking out now and listening for ANY little noise. As long as your oil level is good, drive it like you stole it.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by beholder
I was trying to get an oil reading on my car the other night. I only got 198 miles on it. I drove it last night for like 30 minutes then parked it for 10 then tried to get a read and it was clear oil past the H. The bottom of the dip was tinted a bit but most of the oil was clear. Is this normal? Hope the dealer didn't overfill.

If the oil is clean, it is sometimes hard to see the correct level. You need a very good light and a dry rag. You alos need to know how to read the meniscus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meniscus Usually, this applys to things in a tube, but it also applies to a dip stick.

When it's all "said and done", if the level is between the "Full" and the "Add", you are OK. Just add ONE quart when it says "Add".

Old 10-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
With the retarded design in not being able to pull the dip stick out straight, I have found a way that seems to help in getting a more accurate reading.

When I'm pulling the stick out (up with the design flaw), I use my other hands finger down at the base of the hole to keep the stick reletively straight in relation to the tube opening and let the stick bend around that finger as I'm pulling up with the other hand.
When it's almost out, I slowly pull the rest out with both hands near the tube opening.
If it's still hard to see the level, I turn and look on the back side of the stick and this is usually where I see a less smeared actual level mark on the stick.
Then turn it over again and see where that backside mark would be on if it were on the L/H stamped side.

Hope that made sense...it works for me.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^Actually that does help and I was sort of doing the same thing. I was measuring my oil by the level on the back side of the stick which is not marked with L or H. The other side was completely clean. So far, my oil is fine.

That's a good tip, but damnit, I think it's absurd that we have to check our oil in this manner.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Gammawolf
^^^Actually that does help and I was sort of doing the same thing. I was measuring my oil by the level on the back side of the stick which is not marked with L or H. The other side was completely clean. So far, my oil is fine.

That's a good tip, but damnit, I think it's absurd that we have to check our oil in this manner.

Are the grooves between the H and L marks on the labeled side of the dip necessary to read oil level or is the back just as good?

Old 10-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
The back is just as good. Why the oil isn't on the front of the dipstick where the label should be is beyond me.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:28 PM
I've been following this thread and wondering what your Owner's manual says about the oil?? I just got my 07 coupe and the manual states that during breakin period, it is normal that oil will need to be filled. Also, it states that it may be required to put in oil between scheduled oil changes. I can provide exact wording from my manual if needed, but this is essentially what they have. I am just wondering is this a recent update to the manual as a "CYA" on their part or??

Old 10-19-2006, 03:50 PM
6MT Coupe
That's interesting....2007 coupe owners manual, eh.
Imma go check my 2006 manual now to see if it states basicaly the same as yours.
If it doesn't, well...yeah, I'd call that a CYA and in an indirect way, admitting to this problem.
Thanks for the udated info for 2007 coupe how'd you get one of those?? Thought those weren't released yet...

[EDIT]
Nope...my 06 manual says the same in the 'Maintenace and do-it-yourself section'.
Oh well, thanks for the thought.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 10-19-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The 07 coupes are already out in Canada 06CPV35.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:25 PM
6MT Coupe
Oh...okay. Thanks Hex...had no idea Canada first then us.
Originally Posted by beholder
Are the grooves between the H and L marks on the labeled side of the dip necessary to read oil level or is the back just as good?
LOL...ROTF...sorry...
If that was a serious question, then I suggest you don't touch anything under your hood. Take it to a Dealer to help you with that.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
The 07 coupes are already out in Canada 06CPV35.
LOL...I should put the Infiniti Canada URL in my sig Not many people seem to know or believe me...yet.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should I be worried about taking my car into the dealer with my HFCs? California law says you must wait 80,000 miles before changing the cats, Ive got 11,200 on my car now. Should I worry about it? Or just take it in and dont take their BS?

Old 10-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't even say anything about your HFC's bro. At least you have cats and I bet they don't even notice that they are not stock. How is your oil level?? I did a lot of driving today so I am curious to see where I am going to be at tomorrow.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:08 AM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I wasnt planning on telling em. My oil is at the L after about 1100 or 1200 miles I believe. Ill need to check it tomorrow. Ive been WOT for probably half or even more than half of those miles. Ill take it in next week and see what they say. What do they do after the first consumption test? Another to be sure? Or will they proceed to tear apart the engine? Or replace it..or? Anyone know?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!