The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Okay so my G is at Infiniti of Glendale. I told the service advisor what was going on and he said that he hasn't seen this problem much at Glendale but that they would definitely look into it and they will definitely do an oil consumption test. He seemed cool enough but we will see. At least I get to drive a G sedan loaner. haha!! It's pretty nice but still no coupe.
Keep us posted about your experience there. I take my G to that dealership all the time. I'm curious to see how they treat you. They treat me fine, but they gave Zooms a little static about giving him an alignment since he has aftermarket wheels.

Ohhh, and they just finished with their remodeling. I see it a lot and it looks good! The guys at Santa Monica Infiniti told me that the Glendale Infiniti has now become the largest Infiniti dealership with their remodeling+extension.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Gamma-Don't just assume that it is okay bro. Let it sit overnight. In the morning, before you do anything, take out the dipstick and wipe it. Then put it back in for a few seconds and pull it out. You should now get an accurate reading.
Anyways, got my G back. First off, the dealer recommended going with a fully synthetic oil. This might help out a little bit . . . . how, I'm not really sure but okay. So I get a call from the dealer this afternoon and I am told that they can't complete the oil consumption test because my car is modified and they don't have the correct calibrations for oil consumption on a G with a modified exhaust and intake. Per my service advisor, Ricardo, this could be causing my oil to burn faster because the car is now breathing better. At this point I advise him that I understand his point but I am 100% sure that just an intake and exhaust would NOT cause the car to burn oil as badly as my G is burning oil. He asked how I knew . . . . I then explained that the very same exhaust and intake on my 06 G were previously on my 05 red G and it never had this problem. I even told him that he could take a look at the service record for my old because I used to bring it to Glendale for service also. At this point, he calls the quality control guy and by the time I get to the dealer, they agree to monitor my oil and have me come in every 1000 miles to see how much oil my engine is consuming. If it hits that 1 quart per 1000 miles magic number, I will most likely be getting a new engine. The service advisor was very professional and listened to all of my points. He didn't just blanketly blame my mods and refuse to do anything or give me attitude about it. When I explained to him that I had an 05 6MT that was more modded than my 06 and didn't have this problem, he called the QC who agreed to monitor my oil. He told me that I didn't even need an appointment. He gave me his card and said as soon as I hit 1000 miles, just give him a call and bring it in so that they can check the oil. Everyone was very nice and helpful. So we will see what happens. I, of course, will monitor my oil very closely. We will see where I am at after 1000 miles.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has Infinity released a TSB on this issue? If so, please link it...

Thanks.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Nope. No TSB. For some reason Nissan/Infiniti is keeping this kinda hush hush. The VQ has received so many awards and accolades that I think they don't want something like this diminishing the rep of the VQ. But believe me, they know about it. Even though me service rep kinda tried to play dumb, he knew exactly who to call and what needed to be done. Especially after he realized that I had done my research on the issue. I actually mentioned this site a few times and he definitely knew about it. So anyways, here goes the first 1000 miles of monitoring. Let's see what happens.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Gamma-Don't just assume that it is okay bro. Let it sit overnight. In the morning, before you do anything, take out the dipstick and wipe it. Then put it back in for a few seconds and pull it out. You should now get an accurate reading.
Anyways, got my G back. First off, the dealer recommended going with a fully synthetic oil. This might help out a little bit . . . . how, I'm not really sure but okay. So I get a call from the dealer this afternoon and I am told that they can't complete the oil consumption test because my car is modified and they don't have the correct calibrations for oil consumption on a G with a modified exhaust and intake. Per my service advisor, Ricardo, this could be causing my oil to burn faster because the car is now breathing better. At this point I advise him that I understand his point but I am 100% sure that just an intake and exhaust would NOT cause the car to burn oil as badly as my G is burning oil. He asked how I knew . . . . I then explained that the very same exhaust and intake on my 06 G were previously on my 05 red G and it never had this problem. I even told him that he could take a look at the service record for my old because I used to bring it to Glendale for service also. At this point, he calls the quality control guy and by the time I get to the dealer, they agree to monitor my oil and have me come in every 1000 miles to see how much oil my engine is consuming. If it hits that 1 quart per 1000 miles magic number, I will most likely be getting a new engine. The service advisor was very professional and listened to all of my points. He didn't just blanketly blame my mods and refuse to do anything or give me attitude about it. When I explained to him that I had an 05 6MT that was more modded than my 06 and didn't have this problem, he called the QC who agreed to monitor my oil. He told me that I didn't even need an appointment. He gave me his card and said as soon as I hit 1000 miles, just give him a call and bring it in so that they can check the oil. Everyone was very nice and helpful. So we will see what happens. I, of course, will monitor my oil very closely. We will see where I am at after 1000 miles.
Whoa...that statement sounded like they were going to that place of BS.
Have heard/read things about reduced back pressure from Mods and oil consumption increasing, but only on some VQ's and no problems with others.
Example being, a Turbo or TT with 3" dia. pipes and no back-pressure with no excessive oil loss.
So, that in my book is BS to the problem/cause.

Guess what saved your butt, was they having records of your 05 there with same Mods and no oil consumption issues.
Funny how they, after your statement and 05 G records, now can do the 1000mi test.
All in all, glad they agreed to start the test.

With your consumption, which is the worst I've heard, you'll definitely be lower than a quart at 1000mi.
If I were you, I'd bring it in when it's a quart low rather than 1000mi mark. That way they'll see your a quart low at, let's say, 900mi. or less.
Then there's the proof it's worse than the 1qt/1000mi thing.
Hmmm...but on the flip side of that, guess if you wait a 1000mi, bring it in and there's no oil on the stick, that would get their attention quicker.
Plus if you bring it in with the VQ engine sounding like a lawn mower, that would tell them also...'Hey Joe, order an engine'.

Insist on a long block rather than a short. Your engine made noises when this was first brought to your attention, right? Your valve train no doubt was starved of oil as well during that time, not good, and that took a bit of life and dependability out of it for down the road, quite possibility could show up with problems down the road.
If they won't budge, then make sure your warranty starts over, engine wise, with the new engine, which it should imo, and it includes the whole engine, not just the block/crank/pistons/rings.

Interesting they wanted you to go Synth. Let us know if there's a drastic improvement, though, I doubt it from what I've read. But keep in mind, if it does improve the consumption a little, say just over Nissan/Infiniti's threshold of 1qt/1000mi like me where I'm at with Dino 5/30, you'll be SOL and they'll have gotten themselves out of an engine replacement and you'll be dealing with an oil thirsty VQ for who knows how long.

G/L and keep us updated.

Here's a members experience with getting his VQ replaced.
Thread kinnda long (as my replies here ), but good info.
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...engine+failure

Another check your oil thread, (Hexx you know this one already, just an FYI for others)
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110973
Haha...duhhhh...that's this one!!

I meant this one...it's a poll:
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...il+Consumption

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 10-18-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:41 PM
So I tried checking my oil this morning, yet again, and I get oil on the very end of the tip and above the H but nothing in between. BYLL****! I have a spare quart of Mobil One synthetic (which I mostly what I use anyway) and I'll put it in right now.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Did you check your oil the way I recommended gamma?? If so, it sounds like you might be running kinda low. Make sure to keep tabs on this. When it has been sitting all night and all of the oil is in the oil pan, you should definitely get a good reading. If there is no oil registering on the dipstick except for the very tip, you are more than a quart low. Mine was bone dry and I had to put 2 1/2 quarts in to bring it back to normal. I am full right now because I just had my oil changed and I will be monitoring this very closely.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:09 PM
I used to have an oil problem with my old Honda towards the end of her 230K mile life span, so I would always check my oil in the morning before I started it.

Today is the 2nd time that I check it fresh . . . and I get the very same result.

I fear that I have the same problem as you. I put in a quart and I'll check it again in about an hour. I haven't driven her since 10am this morning so that should be enough time. Faawwwk! I hate this sort of thing. I've been driving her mean too!

Old 10-18-2006, 03:53 PM
If all else fails, take it to the dealer and insist on an oil consumption test. Don't let them bs you about your mods either. It looks like they thought about giving me a hard time about my mods but once they realized that I had done my homework and researched the problem, it didn't take long for them to agree to monitor the problem and agree to the oil consumption test. It's so obvious that they know about the problem even though they try to play dumb. The QC guy knew right away about the 1 quart per 1000 mile "magic number" before I even said anything. If they didn't know anything about the issue, how would he just happen to know this?

Old 10-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im hoping that my dealer wont give me crap for my mods. Ive got my mrev2 sitting on my floor in my room waiting to be installed after I take my car in and figure out whats wrong with my engine. Im hoping they wont give me crap about my cats, exhaust, and intake. When I took it in a couple weeks ago for the oil change, they didnt give me crap about intake or exhaust but my cats will be new to them. We'll see how it goes.

Whats the best thing to say to them if they want to try and BS me about my mods? "That cant be the problem!" I need something better than that...

Old 10-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow I just read this thread and boy I am getting paranoid. I just checked my oil and it was little less than half between L and H, but I am due of a oil change in about 475 miles. Is this a oil consumption problem? Oh and I do my oil changes every 3k~3.5k. Thx fellas.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Glex25
I would opt for a new engine.
Rods could have bent from the friction.
I have heard this happen to quite a few people.
Check here and My350z so you get a better aspect of how people had to deal with dealerships about this particular problem.
No, the rods could not have bent from the friction. The cylinder walls may have scored, but the rods did not bend.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by VQ35
Wow I just read this thread and boy I am getting paranoid. I just checked my oil and it was little less than half between L and H, but I am due of a oil change in about 475 miles. Is this a oil consumption problem? Oh and I do my oil changes every 3k~3.5k. Thx fellas.
If you are a little bit less than half between the L and the H and are due for an oil change in 475 miles, you are fine. That means that you are about half a quart low which is pretty normal.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:55 AM
Hey there, I've been reading the thread regarding the oil consumption and the rattle noises that it makes. From what I understand, once the car is rattling due to this issue, damage has probably happened already. But what I want to ask you is how exactly is this rattle? I ask because I've noticed a rattle in my car when I take off in first gear, and slight on second gear and that's it. I dont' hear it at all in any other gear so I'm thinking this rattle is not related to the oil issue. Can you please confirm or explain how the oil issue rattle is?

I have taken the car to the dealer regarding this rattle and what they did was lube up the rear axles and the tech guy told me that after he did that and did a test drive, the rattle in first and second when taking off quickly or punching it is normal. But I hadn't read this thread so I don't know if the tech was just telling me what I wanna hear when he says that's normal. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:34 AM
If you are a little bit less than half between the L and the H and are due for an oil change in 475 miles, you are fine. That means that you are about half a quart low which is pretty normal.
what a relief. thx hexxum001

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!