The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Well, we'll see. Dealers are so hit and miss. Sometimes they are cool and other times, it's like pulling teeth. But yeah, I think I am exceeding that 1qt/1000 miles magic number.
Word of advice Hector....
B kool when you go to the Dealer. Don't have an attitude, cuz then they'll think your a cocky pri*k and will not be kool with you.

My Dealer is kool with me. I just casually mentioned my oil condition, showed them a personal log of my consumption with oil purchase receipts and asked if they would enter my oil condition into their puter. They said no problem. So now there's an official statement of my issue with Nissan and oil consumption history has begun.
You may have to start this with your Dealer and just be patient. With your consumption, it won't take long to prove to them you're due for a new replacement on your NEW G!!!

Old 10-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tjlazer
I still cannot read the damn dip stick. It really is a terrible design, even to remove and reinsert it. How the hell do you read it properly? It also "looks" to be wet all the way to the high mark but I am not sure. Yes I remove ane wipe it before I reinsert it. I guess it would be bone dry if low?
First, make sure that your car has been sitting for a while. Don't check your oil after you have been driving cuz the oil is still all over the place and it takes a while to slowly drip all of the way back into the oil pan. Let it sit overnight. Or check it after work when it has been sitting all day while you have been working. Take the dipstick out and whip it off. Then reinsert the dipstick for a second or two and take it out again. Now you should have a pretty accurate reading of where your oil level is at. When I did this a few days ago. I had NO reading at all. The dipstick was bone dry. Since then I have put 3 quarts total in my engine and right now it is half way between the L and the H on my dipstick. So basically I was 2 1/2 quarts low. What a joke!! So anyways, it goes in to the dealer on Tuesday.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Word of advice Hector....
B kool when you go to the Dealer. Don't have an attitude, cuz then they'll think your a cocky pri*k and will not be kool with you.

My Dealer is kool with me. I just casually mentioned my oil condition, showed them a personal log of my consumption with oil purchase receipts and asked if they would enter my oil condition into their puter. They said no problem. So now there's an official statement of my issue with Nissan and oil consumption history has begun.
You may have to start this with your Dealer and just be patient. With your consumption, it won't take long to prove to them you're due for a new replacement on your NEW G!!!
No worries bro. As pissed as I am about this situation right now, I am always cool and collected when I am actually talking to the dealer. I am in the insurance business so I deal with a lot of people on a daily basis doing quotes and customer service on insurance policies. I have dealt with people that are so mad that they can barely articulate themselves for something so minor that it is not even worth getting upset over. And I have also dealt with people as cool as a cucumber when they had ever right to be pissed. You definitely get more results when you stay cool. I will definitely go in there and just sit and go over the whole situation with the service advisor. I wish that I would have kept a log also but didn't really think about it cuz I never in a million years thought that a brand new G would have this problem. Luckily for me this same dealer serviced my 05 G so they can see that I am not just someone looking to cause trouble. I had no problems at all with my red G. Hopefully this will go as smoothly as all my previous visits have gone. Once they see how much oil my G is consuming, it should be a no brainer that I need a new VQ.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Well I guess I'm joining the "oil consumption gang". My car was 3/4 qt. low at 1653 miles, 3/4 qt. low at 2730 miles and when I had the oil changed yesterday it was 1 qt. low at 3708 miles. The Nissan dealer I took it to says it's a bunch of b/s that this engine uses oil and we should raise hell. None of his 350Z's have this problem and this car should not either. He made notes in my file and I have to call Infiniti next week when I get time. My problem is I live 200 miles from an Infiniti dealer so I have to be sure the consumption monitoring can be done at the Nissan dealer. The service manager there said he would gladly do it for me and even offered to call Infiniti with the readings as we monitor it. So here we go...And that dipstick was definately designed by a retarded midget!!! I have never seen a worse design. This really sucks, I love my car but my 68 GTO uses less oil than a 2006 G. It makes me sad.
Lisa

Old 10-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Sorry to hear that you are having these problems also Lisa. It blows me away that so many G's are having this issue. But Z's are also having this issue. It's the same engine. I know someone with a Z that just had his engine replaced actually. Anyways, hopefully my dealer will work with me and get this issue resolved or else 335 here I come!!

Old 10-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got back from LA. Ill have to let the car sit for a while so it cools down but I checked it before leaving LA and it was lower. Its going in next week for sure

Old 10-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Hexxum001
ok thanks, I let it sit overnight and was able to get a reading. I have almost 1,100 miles and I am right in the middle between L & H. Is that where I should be? Too soon to tell I think. Nissan should definately resolve this problem! My 2001 Isuzu Rodeo has this problem as well. I recently noticed I was down like 3 qts, dip stick bone dry!

Last edited by tjlazer; 10-14-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:39 PM
tjlazer-You are okay if you are between the L and H. Just make sure you check it on a frequent basis. Being brand new, I never thought that I would have to keep tabs of my oil level right of the bat so I didn't check it until I started hearing those weird noises. Now I check it almost everyday.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Mine just hit the 1200 mile mark. It was 3/4 quart low (halfway between H and L) when I checked this morning. And I have been religious about following the break-in procedures. The car has not been over 3700 RPM...

Oh well, added some 5w-30. Although a slight nuisance, it is not a big deal to me. So what, I have to put a couple quarts in there every 3,000 miles. $5-6 every 3 months...I can live with that. My previous BMW was the same way... But i am glad I know about the issue. Thanks G35Driver.com...

Old 10-14-2006, 04:59 PM
I guess I'm glad I realized this problem before I went FI. I can only imagine what the dealer would say if I went in with a SC or TT and started complaining about oil consumption.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:49 PM
wow ok this is a very long thread.

I've just finished reading it.

How low can you go with the oil consumption?

infiniti says 1 quart per 1000 miles is okay.

so is 1.25 quart per 1000 miles dangerous?

at what point does it becomes harmful for the car?

Old 10-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is dangerous is getting too low, not necessarily the speed you lose it. (of course, the reason you are losing oil could be a problem).

I've lost a quart of oil every 200 miles years ago on an old car that, once I got some engine gaskets replaced, improved to about 1 quart every 1000 miles (and I thought that good at the time . Never needed to do anything else to that engine over the next several years before I could afford a better car.

The danger with losing it too fast is that it is even easier to get too low without realizing it.

Obviously, there is a range of rates you could have. 1 quart per 50K miles down to you need to add a quart of oil to get home from work. If it was a quart per 3750 miles, then it could be handled if you follow the normal oil change schedule. 1 quart per 7500 for the light usage schedule. So why replace an engine at these rates.

Anything faster than these rates requires you to check your oil at some point, which since cars are more reliable than they used to be, is probably becoming a lost art. Especially without most people doing full service at the gas station.

The one time I had to add oil, after about 2000 miles, I hadn't checked it after the oil change, so in theory it could have just been underfilled. I checked it today, 400 miles after a change, and it was about 1/8th quart low. Possibly within the margin of error at the fill, and not a symptom of oil loss. Note, I have an 04 5AT with 31K miles.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Okay so my G is at Infiniti of Glendale. I told the service advisor what was going on and he said that he hasn't seen this problem much at Glendale but that they would definitely look into it and they will definitely do an oil consumption test. He seemed cool enough but we will see. At least I get to drive a G sedan loaner. haha!! It's pretty nice but still no coupe.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After reading this thread I was getting paranoid. But after checking my oil level on the ridiculous dipstick over the last 2 weeks, the level has been steady, regardless of how I drive. Same as it was when it was changed 2 months ago.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Okay, Hexx, you got me all paranoid.

So I went to check my oil today . . .

+10,000,000,000 on slapping the designer of that oil dipstick. I did my best to get an accurate reading when she wasn't hot. Everytime I pulled it out, the oil would always smear along the side of of the dipstick lengthwise and it would go beyond the levels of L through H. I tried and tried again and I would get the same reading.

I'm guessing
that she's okay. The oil light hasn't come on and there are no noises, so I'm going to assume (scared to say that) that she's fine.

That dipstick design is absolutely terrible. How the **** do you get an accurate reading while twisting and turning that thing. Even putting it back is tedious!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!