The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^Valve covers is not a far fetched BS story....
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...rranty-up.html

Having you pay for that is BS, if you still have power-train warranty and seals are truly leaking.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 10-05-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well yes i know about the VC caking up and causing the engine to burn oil trough the PCV system but the dealer was instructed to check the pcv system for excessive oil and they did not they just told me to replace them. i did check them and they were fine almost perfectly clean. i didnt want to go that in depth on 1 post sry for lack of info. in my case #6 coil pack is dry as well. and they wanted me to pay for it not covered under warentee. so this is why i called it bs

Old 10-05-2008, 03:39 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by NismoG35S
well yes i know about the VC caking up and causing the engine to burn oil trough the PCV system but the dealer was instructed to check the pcv system for excessive oil and they did not they just told me to replace them. i did check them and they were fine almost perfectly clean. i didnt want to go that in depth on 1 post sry for lack of info. in my case #6 coil pack is dry as well. and they wanted me to pay for it not covered under warentee. so this is why i called it bs
NP...understand now...agree BS from dealer. Should not have to pay for OC diagnosis.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:54 PM
I have an 04 6MT i bought used with 42k miles. started checking for OC problems and it was apparent i had this issue. The first Infiniti dealer i went to tried bsing me into buyin 850 dollar valve covers to fix the problem if that wasnt the fix then they would do the motor. Being that i am a Nissan tech i did my own research "called nissan my self" turns out this dealer was just trying to make me pay cash for sumthing. I will trow a very bad CSI report to them. Im currently doin OC test with a more respectable dealer and im on my last leg of OC test and looks like i will be getting the motor this month sum time.

Goin to add NISMO clutch/cover , flywheel, and headers, good idea? while its out

do you happen to have all of your oil service records?

Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 PM
actually i bought this car used at 42k about 5 months ago from the dealer i work at. ran the serivce history and its pretty shotty a few dealer services. but looking into the engine aka oil filler neck no signs of any sludge and pcv system is clean. so i think it was jus serviced outside of dealers.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Hey, I got the same problem RIGHT after I put on my Catbacks. I'm burning a LOT of oil, I could smell it so easilly while I'm driving. You think I just need a thicker oil and some engine treatment solution? I heard that fixed the problem for some people.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:04 PM
actually i bought this car used at 42k about 5 months ago from the dealer i work at. ran the serivce history and its pretty shotty a few dealer services. but looking into the engine aka oil filler neck no signs of any sludge and pcv system is clean. so i think it was jus serviced outside of dealers.
oh ok. cause i am doing the OC test right now and i had the dealership run the histroy on the VIN and they told me there was about 10k mi. of no oil changes in the system. so previous owner probley just had the oil changed outside of the dealerships. i was just wondering cause if you got accepted for an new engine then i don't see why they would turn me down...we'll see. i'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that there's not even a problem.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
read the tsb carefully and look at the flowchart. You are not SOL if you don't have dealer oil change records.

The info you need is there. Use it and the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I have my oil changed at the same oil change/car wash place each time. All I need to do is ask for a print out of the records if I need to prove that I changed the oil.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:27 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by jc44
oh ok. cause i am doing the OC test right now and i had the dealership run the histroy on the VIN and they told me there was about 10k mi. of no oil changes in the system. so previous owner probley just had the oil changed outside of the dealerships. i was just wondering cause if you got accepted for an new engine then i don't see why they would turn me down...we'll see. i'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that there's not even a problem.
That's only 2500mi over Shed 2 in maintenance schedule. Plus if oil was Synth, it easily could go 10K depending what kind.

However, EncoreCestMoi is 100% correct about the TSB. Read it, study it, own it and you can intelligently alleviate any dealer BS. That's what I had to do with my dealer. Bottom line: I got my replacement still even with their games to deny me.

G/L

Old 10-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Location: From Houston, TX but currently reside in upstate NY
I'm having a similar problem like JiNSOO619 is having. After my last oil change, I can smell oil burning at semi-hard acceleration...but not so much during normal driving. I too have a catback system. Any ideas or suggestions?

Old 10-17-2008, 02:11 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by ResIpsa
I must say that I am amazed at how this thread just took off. Can I safely say that I have the biggest thread on the forum?

Enough back slapping, I'll give an update on my situation. I had my THIRD motor installed last month. Infiniti of Chantilly banned me after my second motor because of "modifications". Mind you I only have suspension mods.

When I put Infiniti corporate on notice that my second engine burned more than the first, they denied me.

Luckily, the guys of Infiniti of Tysons went above and beyond my expectations. They were shocked at the level of oil consumption and replaced the second motor. That is the best dealership I have ever come across.

TIP: If you are getting resistance from your dealer just go to another one. And if you are going to buy a new Infiniti, go to Infiniti of Tysons.

Lets just hope this third motor does not burn oil...
Wow...missed this post. Yea 'ResIpsa'...see what you started j/k

Third engine...damn. Final fix attempt I believe as far as buy-back/lemon law is concerned. Depends on which State I think.

G/L on your third. Keep us posted....

Old 10-17-2008, 02:21 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Whorehey
I'm having a similar problem like JiNSOO619 is having. After my last oil change, I can smell oil burning at semi-hard acceleration...but not so much during normal driving. I too have a catback system. Any ideas or suggestions?
IDK...mine burned the same amount running with OEM exhaust compared to my Injen dual cat-back system afterward.

Maybe drop in back pressure with your cat-back is causing more to burn

Old 10-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
My G is currently at the dealer getting the engine replaced due to this oil consumption issue. It has about 46k miles on it and I didn't know it had it until one day I heard this weird sound in the morning when I would start it up. I change my oil (synthetic) religiously every 5 to 6k miles and that noise was odd. I took it to my my mechanic and he said it was dry as a bone, that was the reason why it sounded so bad. He said it could be an oil consumption issue (considering he was the last one to do the oil change, I was hoping he was right) and told me to take it to the dealer.

Took it to the dealer (Infiniti Kearny Mesa, San Diego) telling them I suspect I have an oil consumption issue. They topped off all the oil and told me to come back in 1k miles. I came back at around 1200 miles. They checked the oil and came back and told me, oh yeah, I was dangerously low. They ordered a new engine for me and told me it would be in a week.

I was concerned because I have mods on my car and I thought they were going to give me $hit.

2005 G35 coupe 6mt: Z-tube intake/JWT Pop Charger/UR Pulleys/Mrev and 5/16"spacer/DC Sports Headers/Eibach Sway Bars/Berk Hi-Flow Cats/Fujitsubo Y-pipe and exhaust

At first he said he wasn't going to mention the mods, then he told me that they will replace the engine and include everything else.

Should be ready any day now, I got me an 07G35 loaner at the moment. It's been at the dealer for almost a week now.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:43 PM
OK well im back from Infiniti today and since my car is an 04 and not in the current tsb years.. they have approved a short block. pending catalytic inspection if the cats are damaged then a long block will be ordered. Monday i bring it in for the job and leave wit a g35x loaner w00t. wish me luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!