The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
As I said above, I changed my oil many times. My first UOA with Dyson on my replacement was my oil interval from ~1750mi to ~3750mi on my V2.

1200mi break-in is what Infiniti manual and TSB states. Where you read 500 from others as recommended

Congrats to you too on your V2.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:03 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by XteezysG35
Thanks! Somewhere in this thread someone wrote how he plans to break in for about 500 mi and then drive the car a little harder to...seal the rings? I might've misread it
Now I know what you mean. Thought you meant 500mi as end of break-in or something like that, maybe I misread your post and what you meant.

With that cleared up.....Yes, I remember reading that too. Guess I read in this thread...there's so many OC threads I subscribe too. 350Z's OC thread too lol.

I myself did that as a special break-in method about 5-6 times to help seal/seat the rings, then back to factory methods well beyond the 1200 miles. Continued factory until I got my 1st UOA report and see how my V2 was doing. Got the green light to step it up a notch per my few posts back.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found out last night that my 2004 6mt Coupe has this issue. I never thought to look at the oil as the car was mint when I bought it and I had an oil change right away on the day I bought. It had just over 100,000km. I have put about 8000km (4900 miles) on it and last night the noise was really loud as I started it up to go for a drive. I stopped immediately and shut it off.
I have a mechanic who lives two houses down and he came over to investigate. He said lets start with the simple things. Lets check the oil. We couldn't get a an accurate reading on the dipstick. We figured out the engine was almost bone dry. I was in shock. He then ran his fingers in the exhaust pipe after I told him it hasn't leaked a drop. He said he could smell the oil in the exhaust soot. I left the car exactly where I shut it off.
This morning I got 6 quarts of the Mobil synthetic and topped it up. I started it up and so far no noises. I have yet to take the car for a good drive. I consider myself lucky as the valve chatter was getting pretty intense, had the car been running regular oil I think the engine would have sustained some serious damage.
It also makes me think why the previous owner turned the car in at 100,000km. He\she probably noticed the problem and said time to get rid of it.
Moral of the story I will check my oil a hell of a lot more frequently 5.5 quarts down after 8000km or 4900 miles. I'm not used to this. I have a Mazda pick-up I have owned for 16 years and it is always rock solid between oil changes except for the last few years (259,000 miles 415,000km) and I didn't expect this from the G.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:44 PM
6MT Coupe
^Think you should still have some factory power train warranty left on your 04. 100,000km = ~62,000miles. I believe engine warranty is for 5yrs/70,000 miles in US anyway. Check that out and if so go to a dealer for OC testing. You might get a new VQ engine.

G/L

Old 09-18-2008, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by D87
So if there's no leak where does the oil go?
Is it leaking as you drive and dripping on the road?
It's more like burning than leaking.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:11 PM
wow this is great to know my car just did that this morning tomorrow before ill buy a few quarts of oil

Old 09-26-2008, 11:48 AM
aw man...

I was planning to purchase a used 05 G35 and after some research I bumped into this site, into this forum and into this post.

I test drove a G35 and I instantly fell in love. After this discovery, my heart is broken!

Is this a problem to a large percentage of the cars or is it just bad luck for those few unlucky individuals in this thread?

How would I check if the car does not have this OC problem prior to buying one?

Old 09-26-2008, 01:18 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Ricesteam
I was planning to purchase a used 05 G35 and after some research I bumped into this site, into this forum and into this post.

I test drove a G35 and I instantly fell in love. After this discovery, my heart is broken!

Is this a problem to a large percentage of the cars or is it just bad luck for those few unlucky individuals in this thread?

How would I check if the car does not have this OC problem prior to buying one?
First...this an 05 Auto or 6MT? 6MT's have this issue more so.

On the positive side, I know personally a G 6mt owner (same yr as my 06) and no OC from day one new.

Negative side, know a few personally with this issue and have had replacements per the TSB, myself included.

IMO...think most ppl who post here have the issue. Where-as ppl without, never find/search for this issue and this thread and/or don't post here.

Look inside the tailpipe tips. If they're really black and sooty, imo there's some OC happening.

Don't know where you buying your G, but have a Infiniti dealer run the VIN to disclose it's history. Might find an OC test was done with results (good/bad), might find it already had warranty replacement done, might find no OC issues mentioned.

Even if it does end up having OC, it's still under warranty (tho somewhat a pain to deal with), but least you get a fresh VQ if it qualifies under TSB OC chart.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:37 PM
I can only afford a used one, so I will most likely buying the G35 from a random used car dealership. So, I'm worried I would be more screwed if I end up picking up a "bad apple" out of the batch. I don't know if this is coincident or not, but I noticed one dealership has been getting alot of 05-06 G35s....

It would seem safer if I get the 05 AT.

I'm continuing reading this thread. It's been 2 years and I'm dissapointed at Nissan/Infiniti for not doing anything about this problem.

Where would I look for the "V2" part number?

Old 09-26-2008, 02:16 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Ricesteam
I can only afford a used one, so I will most likely buying the G35 from a random used car dealership. So, I'm worried I would be more screwed if I end up picking up a "bad apple" out of the batch. I don't know if this is coincident or not, but I noticed one dealership has been getting alot of 05-06 G35s....

It would seem safer if I get the 05 AT.

I'm continuing reading this thread. It's been 2 years and I'm dissapointed at Nissan/Infiniti for not doing anything about this problem.

Where would I look for the "V2" part number?
It's a crap shoot...what else can I say other than, least there's a TSB for it if you get a bad apple and guess that's their attempt in doing something about it. Replacements are revised compared to the original oem factorys b/c of this issue.

Part number is not found on engine. Only found on customers service order and/or Infiniti's service data base if VQ was replaced.

Love my 2006 6mt, for what that's worth

Old 09-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Thank you both for the informative replies.

I'm still confused about dealership and warranties on used cars. I will most likely buy a used G35 05 (still deciding MT over AT) at a non-Infiniti used car dealership.

If it turns out the G35 I picked has OC problems, do I bring it to the dealership I bought it from or do I bring it to my local Infiniti dealership even though I did not buy from them?

Maybe I'm confusing the terms "dealership" and "used car shop".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!