The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ur Right Again

Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Not according to that oem part look-up link I gave. Don't know what else to say.

Good to hear breaking-in strong and liking your mods.
Here is a copy of a program we use at work called ALLDATA:
Part OEM Part Price
Engine
Engine Assembly
Coupe
Manual Trans 10102AM8M1 $7008.18 Notes
Auto Trans 10102AC3M1 $8123.11 Notes

Kind of makes make curious though I can't imagine any integral differences. I'll call my buddy at Infiniti on Monday and let ya know.
Tim

Old 09-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Aznteazer
i went to Riverside Infiniti and whenever I went back to get my oil level checked, they ALWAYS top it off. This does NOT make sense since they are measuring by the millimeters, and a little more oil they put in can make the difference of whether I get a new engine. I'm almost at my 70k mark and they said my oil was only 19mm low or something so my engine is "fine".
Does topping off mean that you fill it to the upper end(ridge) of the dipstick? Do most Infiniti dealers do that? I bought my car about 2500 miles ago from someone who just got the oil changed at the dealership. I just checked it, and its about 6/16th of an inch above the minimum. Is my car burning oil?

BTW, mine is 05 6MT

Old 09-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^ Topping off means back to H mark. H/L = hash marks = 24mm

Then look at chart.

From TSB for 2005-2007.5 6mt's.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 09-23-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Added pix reference
Old 09-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Dang... sounds like I'm in the borderline since 6/16" is about 9.5mm... I guess I'll be carefully driving for now and start getting OC tests.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:25 PM
6MT Coupe
^Yup keep an eye on it as oil gets older with more miles on it.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm wow, purchased my 06 g35 6mt about a month n half ago and now im gonna check the oil religiously. Bought the car with 23k miles n i just put 1k mile on it so i guess this is the best time to check the oil... I've put a few mods Ztube n jwt popcharger 5/16 spacer n mrev2 test pipes n hks exhaust... If I were to have any oil consumption problems that warrant a new motor (I hope i dont) im assuming i'd have to take ALL this stuff off and go in stock so they cant say I damaged the motor with the mods? I live in Florida, anyone here had any problems with their revup motor? And has anyone gone in to get this looked at wit the mods on their car?

Old 09-28-2009, 03:23 PM
6MT Coupe
Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 PM
What is the warranty for an 05?

Originally Posted by safil
got the same problem now!!! My ses light came on and right away it started making weird metal noises. I too thought it was my throw out bearing since I got a new JWT clutch and lightened flywheel put in not too long ago. Anyway, i pulled over on the side of the road. Turned off the car, waited 5 min., turned it back on and the noise was still there. It sounded like engine noise to me. I turned it off right away and checked the oil. Took out the dipstick and nothing was showing. I called my friend and asked him to bring me 2 quarts of oil a.s.a.p.. I put one quart in and checked the dipstick. Still no show. Put in the other quart and it started to show. This was sat. July 29th. Since it was sat. night, the dealer was closed. Called for a tow truck and they said that no company had any room to hold my car overnight. Had to leave it there overnight. Called the next day, sunday, and got it towed to my house. On monday, got it towed again to the dealer. Talked to the service rep and she said not to worry cause the dipstick doesn't go all the way down on these cars. I said ok. They said to call on tuesday. Called Tuesday and she said, " I got some bad news. You need a new engine. Also, its due to lack of maintanance and it your fault"!!! What? My fault? How is that? She said that the last time she sees that I got my oil change there was at 14,000 miles and that now my car got 22,400. Really? No ****!!! I'm a mechanic, I change the oil myself. She said ok, as long as you have proof. Great, now what do I do? I bought the oil from Pep Boys and don't have the receipt. I bought the oil filter always from Nissan or Infiniti. Maybe they have some records of me buying the filters. Nope, we don't hold records for that. Even though they take down your name they said they don't keep the records. So, I went to my friends garage and asked him for a receipt for the last oil change I got there, which I really did. Brought it to my service rep and she said, it has to be computerized receipt and where's the others. I said, you didn't say anything about the others. Anyway, she called her boss. Happens to be a service advisor that I used to work for across the street when I worked for Nissan.(Both companies are owned by the same people) He was alot better. He said that they have nothing to do with declining or accepting my claim, that it was up to Infiniti Headquarters to decide. He said he would fax over the receipt and go to bat for me. I said cool, that's all I wanted to hear. That someone was on my side helping me out. The service rep was being nasty to me. She was new there and was just mean. Well, this was last thursday. He said he would call me that afternoon and still no call. I finally called today and spoke to my service rep, the lady, and she said that they still haven't heard anything from Headquarters. So she said to call back tomorrow morning. I'll call tomorrow morning and see what happens. I will keep all of you posted. If I get declined, I want to create a record of all those that have had a problem with there engine/oil. If you had or have the same problem please, post up to help us out. This is something Nissan/Infiniti has to own up to and alert owners of there products. If I knew that there was a chance that my car burnt alot of oil in between oil change intervals, I would of took a look every once-in-a-while to make sure it was ok. This problem has to be recognized and resolved. For all the money we pay for these cars, we should be getting no hassle for problems on there part. Anyway, ResIpsa, not trying to jack your thread. Just trying to let you know that you aren't the only one with this problem. I've read at least another 10 on this forum and MY350Z.com. Let us know what happens with your case too... Good Luck...
I have a 05 sedan that I just purchased. What is the normal drivetrain warranty?

Old 10-30-2009, 01:59 AM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
6yrs 70,000miles whichever comes first...

Old 10-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The thread has grown 2x since I last checked. Has anyone gotten away with being off warranty and not being able to provide proof of regular oil changes since purchase date? I made an argument that I bought my car with 10mi on the odo and I do my own oil changes, but they were having none of it..I was pissed. Thankfully I only add about a quart in 5,000mi of driving.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I hate to say it, but I understand where they are coming from. Without proof of oil changes, anyone (like my daughter that puts 25K on dino oil ) could bring in their car and say it was the "oil issue".

Old 10-30-2009, 11:53 AM
6MT Coupe
From TSB pg2. Note the very first step in that flow chart. Lack of history doesn't automatically deny you warranty replacement.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I hate to say it, but I understand where they are coming from. Without proof of oil changes, anyone (like my daughter that puts 25K on dino oil ) could bring in their car and say it was the "oil issue".
Yeah, this is why I'm wondering if it's the individual dealer that is saying this or what...Maybe, if I feel like it, I should bring in a copy of the TSB. On top of that, they were asking me to pay the $40 or whatever it costs for a dino oil change to do the consumption testing. So, my natural vehicle warranty expired a month ago. Would I be wasting my time bringing the vehicle in?

Old 10-30-2009, 07:16 PM
6MT Coupe
^Factory powertrain warranty is 6yrs/70K miles which ever comes first. Your sig says you have a 05.

G/L

Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Oh ok. My dealer was working on my CD changer failure for the second time. That must have been the bumper to bumper coverage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!