The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Infiniti G35 reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Infiniti G35 reliability - how does it truly compare?

In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. We're reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. We're also updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

When I first posted this thread, TrueDelta wasn't collecting data on any year of the G35. Thanks to help from people here, there are now results for all model years, even the 2008.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

For the details and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

Last edited by mkaresh; 09-02-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the info.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:56 PM
My 2003 hasn't really been unreliable, but as with any "first year for a new car", there were some annoying recalls. I'd be curious to see if the 2003 G35 really had more recalls than the average new vehicle in 200x.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:26 PM
I collect data going forward, to minimize bias, so I don't know if I'll be able to answer this question.

In general I'd expect more recalls in the first year of a design. Most concern some little part that's insufficiently secured or improperly located, little things that got missed during development. These are more likely to be caught in the first year and then not repeated.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Now collecting data on all years. First results for at least some of them in May. The number of responses will be borderline, so each one will help a great deal.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks!

Old 03-26-2007, 08:06 PM
You're welcome. Up to a total of 163 G35s. I'll know around April 10th how many model years I'll have results for in mid-May.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:17 PM
just signed in.. will add the data later on

it`s 0320 AM and i am barely sitting

Old 05-26-2007, 12:24 PM
I've been getting a great response from G35 owners lately.

Latest counts:

2007: 46
2006: 33
2005: 29
2004: 39
2003: 55

Total: 212

In the results posted this week, only the 2003 is included, and with an asterisk and only visible to logged-in members because of an insufficient number of responses. The stat was 0.5 repair trips per year, which is good but not great for a 2003. First-year of the car, of course.

The next set of results will be in August. Then I expect to have official results for the 2003 and 2007, and maybe for a few other years. It all depends on how many people sign up and participate.

The hard part with the 2007 is I have to analyze the sedan and coupe separately. It might also be necessary to do the same with other years depending on whether the reported problems are bodystyle-specific. So I might need two good samples per year. In general, most of the above cars are sedans.

If you've been helping out, thanks. If you haven't been, please consider doing so.

Last edited by mkaresh; 05-26-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Up to 228 total. Getting close to the August results. Expect to have them for 2003, 2004, and 2007. 2005 and 2006 are possible, but a few more participants would certainly help.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Just signed up my 07 G

Old 06-27-2007, 10:03 PM
couple things. 1. I am a registered member of the forum. why cant i reply to posts in the actual g35 coupe forum but only to threads in the general g35 forum when i see other registered but not preimium members posting replies? bottom left corner tells me i cant post, reply, start, edit, or attach to any posts or do anything else. whatever. If this post sounds like i am excessively and overly completely pissed off, please dont take it to mean i am directing it towards you or any other member. It is me being at an absolute ****ing boiling point since my car has been in the shop for two weeks now. TWO WEEKS! for what i thought was a blown out clutch according to what people on this forum told me. I read someone elses post (in the general G35 forum) and realized i had the same problems in my car, so i read on and everyone replied its your clutch its your clutch. so then i finally post and ask whats a good clutch to put in aftermarket wise? and people reply and say that Z1motorsports.com, a company that actually has ad's on this website has a really good clutch. So, naturally i call them up and they are really cool, nice people, i buy their clutch, take everything to PEPBOYS to get it all installed. this was two thursdays ago. they start to work on it, telling me it should be done by saturday afternoon. i call saturday afternoon, and the ****er is like 'yeah hes putting it all back together now, should be done within the hour...' then they call me 45 minutes later and dude is like ' well it seems that your shift board is broken...i mean well it might just be bent' WTF does that mean!? i dont know what a shift board is but ok. i ask if theres anything we can do and he says no becuase its saturday afternoon and the parts dept of the dealer is closed. fine, ill wait until monday. then they call me back 15 minutes later and the F'in A-hole tells me 'actually its not the shift board, but its the shift fork, a piece that looks like a fork is broken, and not only is it broken, but the fork has a movable cylinder behind it, which has a bolt attached to that. the bolt goes and screws into the tranny. Your problem is that the bolt has broken off in the tranny.' Not knowing anything about trannys i say **** that im coming down there right now to take a look at whats up. i get there, i take pictures of everything (seeing my baby all opened up and lying all over the floor almost made me teary-eyed) so i see what does look like a clutch fork with a barrel attached to it, and at the end of it, a point at which a bolt looks like it broke off, along with the tranny plate cover with a hole that shouldnt have a bolt broken off inside of it, but should be hoolw for a bolt to screw into. The clutch fork apparently is the part that pulls the clutch off the flywheel disengaging the power from the motor to the wheels via the flywheel so alternate gears can be engaged. whatever. i take pics of it, come home not knowing what im looking at. com monday morning, i start calling every dealer in the nation looking for a clutch fork. After dealer number 64 the guy in parts finally gives me the number to infiniti consumer affairs telling me that if i speak with them they may be able to expedite my process of finding it and better yet actually getting my hands on one. So im talking to the lady at C.A. and she tells me that no orders have been placed anywhere so she dont know how far along the back order is, but she does find two in the country. one in santa barbara, who i called and they dont got it. the second is in NJ. i call NJ and the guy actually has the part...awesome!!!! can you please overnight it to me, heres my CC number i dont give a **** what it costs just charge me and get it here overnight. he says 'ok ill do that' this was on monday, the part shows up to my apt on thursday...what a dick. so im still at work until 10pm so my roomamte takes the part to them, and they call me and leave a message 'uhh the part you got doesnt look anything like the part we have...it seems that the ball bearing/bolt that are borken didnt come with the part you ordered...theryre held to the clutch fork by a pin.' again, WTF!!!! so it seems that the actual broken part isnt even what i ordered becuase it detaches from the clutch fork itself but theyre are such phuckin ******** there they didnt realize that. so now i'm pissed. i dont want to do anymore reasearch i dont want to find anymore parts, i tell the mgr get the parts it needs and get it fixed, im supposed to be moving to SF on sunday. OK, the mgr is the coolest guy there, really trying to be helpful, he goes to the infiniti dealer, with the detached broken part off of the fork in his hand on saturday afternoon, they give him the replacement part, and he gets back to PEPBOYS, lots of hours pass, so i call them again, get this he tells me ' uh im sorry man they gave us the part but once we attach the parts ot the end of the fork, the bolt doesnt reach the tranny plate...'WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF. how does the dealer sell you the wrong part??? now the guy tells me well i guess well have to wait and see what we can do on Monday...'DUDE, i told you a hundfred times all week long that i need to be in SF by monday morning for a new job!' so monday rolls around i call to make the necessary adjustments in SF, and they place the order for the part, it shows up wednesday morning, but now when i call, apparently the tech who took my car apart is the only one who should put it back together, and hes only working 3-6p...but they tell me it should still be ready in the evening. evening comes but the phonecall doesnt. now today is thursday, and they say itll be ready by 12-1p at the latest, i call them at 330p and they say, well he got it back together but it doesnt feel right, so again i explain the whole concept of the lighter aftermarket flywheel and clutch and how it wont be the same feel as a stock G35. so then they tell me okay, ill have him put the wheels back on (WTF were the wheels doing off in the first place!!!) then he informs me, well, the tech is actually at lunch so when he gets back hell get it together and ill call you. 545p i call again, now they say, well we never actually drove it, its on the bay with all wheels hanging in the air, and the slip[ light keeps coming on, so we dont know whats wrong...im like ;you numbnut, look at the wheels they all ahve metal strips on them to help with balancing or alignment or whatever those strips are for so the wheels dont weght the same! so of course the slip light will come on....take it out to the parking lot!' they do and of course he says yeah its working fine but doesnt really shift into 6th gear to well....SORRY TO HAVE RANTED AND RAVED FOR SOOOO LONG< THIS IS LIKE AN ESSAY, BUT IM ABOUT TO GO GET MY CAR RIGHT NOW, BUT MY QUESTION FOR ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE READ THE WHOLE THIS IS DO YOU KNOW WHY ITS NOT SHIFTING INTO 6TH PROPERLY??? ILL POST AGAIN WITH WHAT I FIND OUT ONCE I DRIVE IT...THANKS TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO ACTUALLY ERAD THIS WHOLE THING AND HAS ANY GOOD INPUT.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:36 AM
so i got my car back, first off three different guys told me that it was driving alright but it was having trouble shifting into 6th. I took it out for a spin and it was shifting fine into 6th, but when i pushed the lever hard right i couldnt go up into 5th, but if i brought it back to the left a tad, then i could feel it slip up into 5th, it felt like there were two sets of guiding plates and one is in the wrong place if that makes sense...second, they FUBAR'd my center console, the middle compartment doesnt close anymore, and finally the check engine light was on!! i went back in and told the guy at the front of the service desk, he looks around and asks if anyone knows how to turn the light off, and all the ******** standing around shrug their shoulders...NOT ONE OF THEM KNEW. then some genius says to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes...the F'ing guy makes ME go outside and do it...and the light didnt even turn off, i left it disconnected for 10 minutes... Im thoroughly pissed off, i took a working car into pepboys and got back a semi-working brokeback car with the check engine light on and have no idea what to do with my car now

Old 06-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Thread killed by lack of commas (,) or parapraphs.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ siriusly... my eys hurt just looking at it, let along trying to read it. paragraphs are your friend....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti G35 reliability