G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Bringing car in for warranty issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing car in for warranty issues

Hi all,

I just bought an 05 6MT sedan with 39K miles. Great car, unfortunately it looks like I have some of the dreaded transmission issues (howling during first 10 minutes of driving and some slight grinding going into 2nd, 5th, and 6th). Also the following:

- either the belts or a pulley squeaks slightly
- burning smell when idling (not sure if this is related to the belts or the transmission)
- both rear windows rattle when closed
- shuttering during heavy braking

Anyways, I have an appointment next week to have the dealer look at these issues and I want to be fully prepared. When I explained the problems on the phone and asked if the transmission issues were common, the service manager was already starting to give me the go-around, saying "its a sports car and shifting is not silky smooth and the transmission always makes some noises...etc" From researching this site, the 6MT often has problems and I am sure he must know this!! I'll fight tooth and nail for the transmission, and they should fix the rattles per the TSB for them. However, how much should I fight them (if I have to) to repair the rotor and squeaking belt/pulley? Are these things that a dealer would typically cover under warranty? I know they are wear/tear items, but it doesnt seem right that a car with only 39K has belt and warped rotor issues.

Also, would it be helpful to drop the car off with an infiniti claim number - to show them I mean business and want this resolved quickly and correctly?

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything should be covered except for the brakes, unless it's determined that the trans issues are clutch-related, then they might not want to cover that either. Good luck....

Old 01-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Just got my car back from the dealer for the exact same stuff. TSB on creaking in door was fixed. They said the burning smell was the brake shoes hanging up which warped the rotors. I only noticed the smell after driving. Rotor resurfacing was covered under warranty. Also had the belts changed(not warranty)

Old 01-19-2008, 11:15 AM
ok, I really need help...

Just got my car back. The dealer fixed the rattles. They said that they could not hear the squeak or feel the shudder on the brakes. I dont really care about this though.

What I do care about it that they said that the howling/whistling during the first 10 minutes of driving was "normal for a sports car" and normal for this transmission. I told them I really dont think this is normal, made a tech drive the car with me (he said they have seen a few of these before and they brought in a service rep to look at the issue and the rep concluded that it was "normal" noise for a manual tranmission). When we came back, the service manager basically said the same thing. I told him I wasnt going to take this for an answer, its a horrible noise, people who ride in my car are always asking what the weird high pitched howling noise is, and I didnt pay 24K for a car to have this issue. He got really combative and repeated "its normal" and I should bring it to the dealer I bought it from. I said "no, if its a warranty issue than as a dealer you need to fix it you cant just pass it off, whats the next step here?" He said that he will call the service rep and have him look at the car the next time he is here (which "is only a few times a year"). He said the service rep will just tell me the same thing.

This is where I am at. I feel like crying, and I havent done that since 5th grade! I love this car but I feel like I just bought an expensive used car which has some serious transmission issues. And I feel like this dealer has a combative attitude and is going to get me no where, even though I have a warranty!!!

What should I do here?

Old 01-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all you do still have power train warranty till 70k so you are covered for while longer if transmission do actually breaks down in near future, second, I would go to different dealership and see what they can do, also call up Infiniti consumer affair office its number should be in your warranty booklet and start documenting your issues, worst come to worst? Take it to a third party garage and have them check it out, if they did find anything physically wrong with it? Bring the document back into dealership, and probably should rise hell at that point.

By the way, if they says it normal and have seen few of them before? ask them for a ride in those "normal" noise car to see if it actually do. If its noraml? shouldnt it be happenning on more than just few G35s?

Old 01-19-2008, 06:04 PM
I changed the manual transmission fluid in my Vette myself. It definitely improved shifting and reduced noise. If you can't get warranty satisfaction, try that.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Dont' cry for the love of all things manly...You are not alone!
I'm going through the same thing except my car is a 04. I have the same exact transmission symptoms as you. 1st dealer I went to said it was my clutch. They also said they have no idea what that noise is and that's that. My clutch has never slipped and I only have 45k on the odo.
2nd dealer just pretty much said the same thing like all they did is look at my history and repeat what was documented. They are trying to get me just to pay for their expensive *** clutch job. When my clutch finally goes no dealer is touching it. My mechanic will do it with my own parts.
I feel for you as I have not gotten this issue resloved yet either. I been trying since september 07 with no luck. I brought this car used and even the previous owner mentioned this in the service history. Maybe the next step for you and me is to file a complaint with Infinti consumer affairs...
I shouldn't have to drive to every dealership in nj/ny area just for this problem to be resolved. I'm probably gonna try a dealership out in LI by my moms house. They seem to have good service as she bring her g there. But she has an auto so who knows
I am replacing my fluid with amsoil synthetic. I pray that resloves the issue but if it doesn't the kid gloves come off!
Oh and if you change fluid make sure and replace it with nissan fluids before you complain as they'll blame it on the fluid you have in the tranny and not honor the warranty claim. If you even get that far..

Good luck I would love to hear what eventually happens for you. Maybe we can trade tactics

Old 01-19-2008, 07:23 PM
lol i try not to get worried cause I do have low miles still... but its hard to drive my car everyday and deal with this! I'm glad to hear I am not alone...! Lets see if we can figure this out.

Lime, I was thinking the same thing today. I should go back in, make the service manager ride in my car and listen to this noise, then if he still says its "normal", Ill say "OK then lets take a couple of your 6 speeds out and see if we hear the same noise"

If they are trying to sell cars on the lot that have this "normal" noise than I feel bad for the dealer. They wouldnt be able to sell a single car.

I dont have another dealer close by, and Im sure they would just bring up the stats and say the same thing??

Old 03-25-2008, 08:41 PM
has anyone gotten anywhere with this issue, and if so, what was the diagnosis from the dealer? this is clearly an issue with the transmissions and the dealers and Infiniti are resisting a TSB for the gearbox. if anyone has had this same issue and gotten it resolved, i would like to know what happened and even the number for the dealer that took care of it. there is no way that some dealers can find this to be worth covering under warranty and others just tell people that its normal. i just took mine in (06 6MT Sedan 15k mi), and they replaced the clutch release bearing and rear main seal and said that 'its better than it was before'. i dont have the time to keep taking my car in and fussing with them over it, so i'd like to come in with ammo from other dealers who have fixed it and shove it in their face for what its worth .

Old 03-25-2008, 10:08 PM
I am still working on the issue. After my first visit where they basically blew me off, I wrote a detailed email to the dealers managers (found emails on the dealers website). I explained the problem, cited my work order, what the service guy said to me the first time I was in (that it is "normal" and to "bring it back to the dealer I bought it from"), and said that I would be calling the regional service manager, the BBB, and corporate Infiniti if someone didnt call me back, seriously take a look at my issue, and try to find a solution for my problem.

I received a very quick response to my email and the dealer has a MUCH better attitude and tune with me now. The service manager went on a test drive with me, acknowledged that there was a problem, and changed the transmission oil that day. This didnt work, so I have an appointment next week so that they can "continue testing and troubleshooting." I am not going to give up until I can drive my car in peace and quiet!

Ill let you know what happens next week...!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
dang there putting you through a hassel. when my tranny was grinding in 5th gear, the dealer i tolk it to said nothing was wrong with my car. got a ride with the tech, he heard the sound when i drove, but when he drove there was no sound. The problem was he was shifting slow were it wont grind. told him to speed up the shift. he did then, it grind. following week i got a new tranny.

good luck

Old 03-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gti12302
I am still working on the issue. After my first visit where they basically blew me off, I wrote a detailed email to the dealers managers (found emails on the dealers website). I explained the problem, cited my work order, what the service guy said to me the first time I was in (that it is "normal" and to "bring it back to the dealer I bought it from"), and said that I would be calling the regional service manager, the BBB, and corporate Infiniti if someone didnt call me back, seriously take a look at my issue, and try to find a solution for my problem.

I received a very quick response to my email and the dealer has a MUCH better attitude and tune with me now. The service manager went on a test drive with me, acknowledged that there was a problem, and changed the transmission oil that day. This didnt work, so I have an appointment next week so that they can "continue testing and troubleshooting." I am not going to give up until I can drive my car in peace and quiet!

Ill let you know what happens next week...!
Good for you! You paid hard earned money for a vehicle and deserve better service than you got. Unfortunately you had to raise a stink with dealership management to the proper attention.

You gave them a chance to do the right thing so follow through with them. If they don't then you should follow through with what you said you'd do, ie. complaining to all the parties you mentioned, so then they KNOW you mean business.