The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Smart key? What is it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smart key? What is it?

like the title says, what does the smart key do differently? im looking to buy a G and want to know what exactly that is. its on the 06+ models i believe thanks for any help!

Old 05-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Smart key is a system where the car knows when the correct key is in close proximity to the car an will allow you to get into the car and start it without actually using the key. The key fob sends a signal to the car that the car recognizes. This enables the owner to start the car while leaving the key in your pocket. Really it's just another useless gimmick. I prefer having my keys in the ignition while I drive rather then in my pocket.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 PM
so its a push button start? or what? what do you do to start it without using the key?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Vrod,

I have to disagree with you on one point. I like the IK for a couple of reasons. I like to be able to open the trunk or the doors w/o fumbling in my pocket for the fob, and I love to start the car with the key in my pocket. Also, you can't lock the key in the car or trunk, that's a plus. I have an 05 so it's 05 and up I believe that it's available with.

Useless for some, but not for me

Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by aceepoo
so its a push button start? or what? what do you do to start it without using the key?
Push start no, not until 07. You just turn the **** where the key fits in. The IK has a "real" key that slides out of the fob in case your battery dies or you just want to use a key.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 PM
so the thing thing you turn is permanent? its like turning a key but no key right? the key can stay in my pocket?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Vrod,

I have to disagree with you on one point. I like the IK for a couple of reasons. I like to be able to open the trunk or the doors w/o fumbling in my pocket for the fob, and I love to start the car with the key in my pocket. Also, you can't lock the key in the car or trunk, that's a plus. I have an 05 so it's 05 and up I believe that it's available with.

Useless for some, but not for me
I agree with not having to find the remote to get into the car, but I have a large set of keys and having them in my pocket would suck while driving. Maybe I'm old school, but I prefer having my keys hanging from the column instead of in my pocket.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by aceepoo
so the thing thing you turn is permanent? its like turning a key but no key right? the key can stay in my pocket?
Yes, your keys stay in your pocket. It looks just like a regular remote with a lock, unlock, trunk open, and panic button. It has a hidden key you can pull and use if your remote battery dies. Otherwise all you do is get within about 2 feet of either front door and push the button near the door handle and the car unlocks. Get in, turn the ignition and start driving.

I love the I-Key. It comes with the premium package in 05 or 06.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:37 PM
nice . i have to get that....

Old 05-03-2009, 10:38 PM
thanks guys for the info. always been curious.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
i have it also and i like it alot...save you the hassle of struggling when you got a hand full of stuff

Old 05-03-2009, 11:35 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
The remotes also feature remote window down for those really hot days as well as remote trunk release. The trunk release is kinda lame because you still have to put your hand on the trunk lid to raise it up.

I think all Nissans will end up getting them in the future. They are great except for the folks that want remote start capability. It can be done, but the install is tricky.

One more negative ... super expensive if you ever need to replace one.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
I really dislike the fact that the car doesn't shut off on its own if your key isn't near the car.

the slim chance of your getting car jacked, while you still have the key in your pocket they can keep going untill your out of gas. I thought you have like 5-10 mins once the red light starts to blink it will shut off. I've only tried it for 10 mins tho, i started the car in the winter and went back inside.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:12 AM
anddd it's not available on 6mt

Old 05-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
I really dislike the fact that the car doesn't shut off on its own if your key isn't near the car.

the slim chance of your getting car jacked, while you still have the key in your pocket they can keep going untill your out of gas. I thought you have like 5-10 mins once the red light starts to blink it will shut off. I've only tried it for 10 mins tho, i started the car in the winter and went back inside.
Unfortunately that feature will probably never be available. The car may suddenly shut off in a place where you don't want cars shutting off, like in the fast lane on a highway. You lose power steering when the car isn't running, and that could cause someone to go off the road or cause a major accident. And it's not just carjackers that might be affected. The owner could just as easily start the car, go back inside for something, set down their keys, and go back outside and start driving. There are aftermarket remote disables, but no auto manufacturer is going to put them in a car they make.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Smart key? What is it?