The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Hello, guys new here considering a g35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, guys new here considering a g35

Hi guys, I currently drive a sentra and I am dying to upgrade, I always loved 350zs but I need the rear seats, so the g35 is my next best option. I love the look of the coupe and I am looking for something in the 04-06 range, but I have a few concerns. first is I live in Connecticut where the winters are harsh, I want the coupe g35 but I can only find the coupe in rwd and rwd is worrying about the snow. I hear horror stories about rwd cars in the snow. I also hate the fact that if I go AWD i lose the 6MT.

So basically my questions are, how is the G35 in snow? Is it just like anyother rwd car in the snow? is there a AWD coupe version of this car? also coming from a 1.8L sentra with 35mpg how different/bad is the g35 going to be on fuel economy?

I was also considering cars like the Evo 8/9 and STi, but those are still pure sport cars which I am trying to stay away from due to inssurance and street racers around my area.

Thanks for the help

Old 06-20-2009, 07:22 PM
To be honest, judging from the questions you're asking, I really don't have much to offer. However, I'll tell you what I know....

First, I got my '05 coupe (automatic) about a month ago, and have been far more pleased than I expected I ever would be. I upgraded from a '96 4WD Tahoe. It goes without saying that the performance is a vast improvement, and the gas mileage is better as well. Not 35mpg, but better. I think I've averaged around 20mpg so far, with an equal mix of city and highway driving, but don't quote me on that mpg estimate.

I can't speak from experience since I've never driven an Evo or Sti, but I'd have a hard time imagining they come anywhere close to matching the elegance and comfort of the G35. I'm a 36 year old family man, and still find the coupe completely practical, but my daughter is only 5 years old. Since she's so short, the coupe has years to go before the headroom runs out in the back seat. I'm just over 6 feet tall, and the roof line in the back seat is too low for me. Just fine for her, or shorter adults.

I live in Mississippi, so I can't comment on driving in snow. It seems to do just fine driving in 1 million % humidity, though.

I know most purists want the 6mt (myself included), but over the years I've really come to appreciate the simplicity and comfort of an automatic transimission. Maybe it's my age, or maybe it's the fact that I rarely travel without a road drink. Either way, I wouldn't let the transmission effect your decision. I'm sure either will be fine.

Hope that helps just a little.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evooooo ftw. I cant comment on the rwd because i have an x and no g35 coupes dont come in awd, but my bestfriend has a 350z and driving in the snow for him is really bad. His car spins easily in the snow. The evo on the other hand just plows through

Old 06-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
If you can afford it buy the EVO or WRX.

They are AWD and fast as hell. I don't drive my G in the snow but I did on a freak snow storm when I pulled it out. I was running pure summer tires and it was FUN....in a bad way. I couldn't get anywhere haha.

With some super heavy snow tires though a lot of guys do just fine. As long as you know how to drive you'll get through it.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:14 PM
I just purchased a 6MT Sedan...and really considered a G35X, but made the decision that I would rather have the Manual Trans over AWD. I did take the car out in light snow, and decided that next year I will be using snow tires. The current tires on the car are not M/S rated. I was able to find snow tires (used one season) and used Infiniti rims all for under $500. I figured it is the next best thing to having an AWD vehicle. The weight balance of the car should handle pretty well in the snow, with good tires.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
2009 was the first year the coupe was available in AWD.

If you buy a RWD G35, invest in snow tires. It's about the only way you'll be able to manage in the snow.

I initially wanted a coupe, but I wanted the AWD badly enough to force myself into a sedan instead. I am damn glad I did as the AWD G35 is awesome in the snow...even with all-seasons. I found myself looking for unplowed roads just to test the car and it never failed.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Only things I hate about the evo and sti is they are not comfortable at all, I test drove an sti and it was a small car, its basically a compact sedan with sport suspension and engine, the ride was horrible.

I havent test driven a G35 yet but Im sure it has much more space than a STi does.

also the insurance will be alot cheaper on the g35 than the sti or evo, but I dont think i can bring myself to buying the sedan the sporty look isnt there like it is on the coupe.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:52 PM
I am anti coupe in every aspect so that might be a reason I like the subarus and evos.

I'm not sure what you mean by uncomfortable? You might want to go test drive a G before you make the assumption it's more comfy.

I thought the subarus were comfy as hell, everything is within an arms length and the seats have more support than most other. No real experience with evos :s

Old 06-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Test drive a few of each and then make your conclusions. The G35 rides a little stiff compared to a lot of luxury sedans. Make sure you like it first.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^+1 g35 ride is stiff, my mom's maxima has a better ride than my g deffinately. What else would you expect out of a sti or evo they are rally cars, comfort is the last thing they covered.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm also in CT (windsor/hartford) area. I just bought my g35 coupe and everybody tell me winter tire or forget it. I been here through 1 winter (came from the south) and def the snow here is wack. I manage to drive in the altima fine but I hear all kinda story about rwd in snow... I guess I will be spending some money on snow tires cause I don't want to be in the ditch this winter. U guys got any good recommendation that wont kill my pocket ?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
If you have a well balanced car like the G35, I think RWD is better in the snow than FWD. The reason people think FWD is better is because when FWD started to become popular in the 80's, it was significantly better than the RWD's of that time. But most of those had horrible front-to-back weight ratios, something like 60/40 or worse. Those were worse than FWD, so everyone thought FWD was always better than RWD.

But when your weight ratio starts getting closer to 50/50, RWD is actually better than FWD. Just like on dry pavement, with FWD the front has to do everything, so sometimes steering is sacrificed for power delivery, and vice versa. With RWD, the back pushes and the front steers, always.

The G35 is around 52/48 or 53/47, which is nearly ideal. Throw in traction control and a limited slip (if you get the Sport package), and the RWD G35 is pretty good in the snow. But you've got to have good winter tires no matter what.

AWD + winters >>> RWD + winters >> AWD + all seasons >>>>> RWD + all seasons. IMHO. I won't put FWD into this last comparison because who the hell wants to drive FWD?

Old 06-21-2009, 11:28 PM
How do i Know if I got sport package.. Is that that aero package? I know I got premium b/c of all the sunroof, bluetooth, hid..etc

I have 19" & spoiler & orange stitch. Does this basically mean I got sport package?

thanks

Old 06-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Sounds like the sport package. I am pretty sure the orange stitching is sport package?

Buy blizzaks, best winter tire I can think of. Make a small dent in your wallet but you will get 3 or 4 seasons out of them.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:43 PM
You definetely got the sports package if you have the orange stitching on the steering wheel. If your car has a spoiler... then you also have the Aero package. If you have the Bose system then you have the premium package. If you have all three.... then you will pick up chicks like crazy!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hello, guys new here considering a g35