The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Potential for G35 to Become A Classic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by pulsar1
No way too many were made and even 18 year olds had them and were crashing them when they first came out.
Sorry 18 year olds were not buying them when they first came out. Most first yesr G35s both ATs and MTs were selling for $36,000 to $39,000. Maybe some moms and dads bought them for their 18 yr olds.

The G35 Coupe was a very unique car for Infiniti. As a matter of fact it was the first really exciting looking car Infiniti ever built. It was released to rave reviews from the automotive media and still is considered to be one of the most stylish coupes built. Will it be a classic...that will take years to determine. I was 18 back during those years of the Camaros, Firebirds, Challengers, etc. and nobody ever thought they would be worth the kind of money they are today. Over the past 52 years almost every car I've owned has become a collector car. Did I keep any of them...no.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
I think the G35 will hold its appeal to tuners and Japanese import enthusiasts. Comparing Japanese and other tuner cars to "classic" American cars is comparing apples to oranges. They appeal to different audiences. But to be honest, I think we all know the 350z/370z will be more popular 20 years down the road than the G35/G37.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:49 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, and yes, I will admit I didn't search, and yes, I should have.

Anyways, regarding the G35 vs. 350Z, I agree that the 350Z will probably be remembered a bit more than the G35 because of the previous generations (300ZX, 240SX, etc.). The G35 is the first G35, there are no predecessors. That's one of the reasons I think the G35 will become iconic.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
the coupe definitely will

Old 07-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by willis555
Thanks for all the replies, and yes, I will admit I didn't search, and yes, I should have.

Anyways, regarding the G35 vs. 350Z, I agree that the 350Z will probably be remembered a bit more than the G35 because of the previous generations (300ZX, 240SX, etc.). The G35 is the first G35, there are no predecessors. That's one of the reasons I think the G35 will become iconic.
If the original Z is not considered a classic, then why would the orginal G?

Think about it, there was only 538 1969 240Z ever made. (only produced for 3 months in 69). Of that, only 163 are documented and currently known to exist. It was the very first Z car in history and actually amazing for its time. Now they are over 40 years old and super rare... yet still not considered a classic by anyone (besides a nissan enthusiast) and still only worth about 4-5k.

So if a 40+ year old Z of which only 163 are known to exist is not considered a classic, why would the over 100,000 G35s ever be a classic?

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 07-08-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
If the original Z is not considered a classic, then why would the orginal G?

Think about it, there was only 538 1969 240Z ever made. (only produced for 3 months in 69). Of that, only 163 are documented and currently known to exist. It was the very first Z car in history and actually amazing for its time. Now they are over 40 years old and super rare... yet still not considered a classic by anyone (besides a nissan enthusiast) and still only worth about 4-5k.

So if a 40+ year old Z of which only 163 are known to exist is not considered a classic, why would the over 100,000 G35s ever be a classic?
For someone who would liken the G35 to a Civic your comments are to be expected. It is surprising for someone to have so much disrespect for a car they own. Just noticed on your sig you have a G35 and then a G37 so not sure what you own.

This is straight from Forbes magazine regarding the Datsun Z. Since so many Zs were sold (622,649 by 1978), the market for vintage cars is still relatively weak, although "mint" condition early-production Zs do go for upwards of $20,000, and as with all collectible vehicles, a racing history always raises price tags.

Prices for a near mint condition 240Z are actually around $11,000 to 16,000 on Autotrader Classic.

Last edited by BlkCoupe; 07-08-2011 at 11:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gwood5turbo (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
nolstagic perhaps, but not likely a classic.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Yes there was 600k produced over 10 years. I was refrencing the early rare ones. You must be on crack if you think a 240Z would sell for 20k unless it is heavily modified with upgrades. A mint late model Z can easily be had for 5k. Maybe the first 10 production numbers might be worth something, but other than that, it is just a generic old car.

My point was the early Z is probably the only car ever having a chance of being considered a classic. Yet it is only desired by Nissan Enthusiasts. When was the last time you saw a Z go for sale at Barrett Jackson or Mecum?

Yes I own a G37, but I am trying to correct that mistake. I dont not disprect them, I am just honest. I give the G the credit it deserves, it is a good looking, moderatly quick, entry level luxury, grocery getter. It will never be anything more.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Yes there was 600k produced over 10 years. I was refrencing the early rare ones. You must be on crack if you think a 240Z would sell for 20k unless it is heavily modified with upgrades. A mint late model Z can easily be had for 5k. Maybe the first 10 production numbers might be worth something, but other than that, it is just a generic old car.

My point was the early Z is probably the only car ever having a chance of being considered a classic. Yet it is only desired by Nissan Enthusiasts. When was the last time you saw a Z go for sale at Barrett Jackson or Mecum?

Yes I own a G37, but I am trying to correct that mistake. I dont not disprect them, I am just honest. I give the G the credit it deserves, it is a good looking, moderatly quick, entry level luxury, grocery getter. It will never be anything more.
Very intelligent response. People my age don't do crack. Maybe a nice Chardonnay but, not in the morning. My response was a direct quote...I didn't write it. There is a difference between Classic Cars and Collectible Cars. There are very few cars that are true Classics. But 1,000 that are desirable collectibles. Luckily we don't have to rely on your opinions to determine the value of the G35 Coupe in the future. If as I believe they will have value in years to come you won't have to worry...you don't own one.

Last edited by BlkCoupe; 07-08-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
i dont think it will be a classic, but it will definately be remembered . and coming from somone who is 20 and is working really hard to pay it off and the only way i got it is because i pulled an amazing summer internship that pays very well AND i got it from a friend who just wanted quick cash i can say that NO 18 yr old could ever afford this car under normal circumstances. if his parents bought it for him thats different... i mean my friends parents bought him a brand new Z4 (he wanted it in AT... wtf???)

Old 07-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll remember them fondly but you'd be hard pressed to define them as classics.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I would have to agree that the G will never be viewed as a "classic" in the traditional sense of the word. Enthusiasts far down the line will surely see an "old" G35 and will probably think it is bad @ss, but I doubt that anyone would be falling over themselves trying to get a picture with one or bid on one in a car auction. There are too many of them rolling around and the car just simply is not THAT special. I am not hating on my own car - I love the **** out of it. However, I am also realistic. I will keep my G until the day I die, but I do not harbor delusions that it will ever be coveted as a rare breed of car.

Just my two pennies.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you must have not been hugged enough as a child to come to the g35driver and constantly bash on the g35. there is a difference between having your own opinion and going out of your way to bring down the g.

The following users liked this post:
BlkCoupe (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 05:01 PM
I loved the G, it was actually kids that brought it down. If you dont believe me, go check out the Ugly G35 or Local Rice threads. The G35 and this forum were amazing 2 years ago, but the constant inrush of retards has ruined both. Then if you add in the ebay modding and the hella flush retards, G35 owners have basically combined the Civic and VW into a single horrific vehicle.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 07-08-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch. My g35 was a trade-in at a nissan dealership when I bought it. I didn't know anything about it, just that my '94 Volvo 850 wagon of 4 years had a blown head gasket and I wanted a new ride. I test drove the 6mt and loved it, so I bought it.

I love this car to death, but soon after I bought it, I started noticing them/their drivers everywhere and asking my friends, "Dude, is my car like the official dbag car of America??" For the record, I live by the Jersey shore.

Do I care much? Absolutely not. It's just a funny observation in WhosUrBuddiee's defense. I believe in modding your car however the hell you want, it's yours.

Last edited by monteitis; 07-08-2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Potential for G35 to Become A Classic?