G35 for a High School 17 year old?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:24 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Good lord at all the back and forth.

I just TL/DR'd this bad by.

Oh, and anyone who couldn't drive a G35 at 17 is just a bad driver. At 17, I had a car with a lot more power that was a lot more tail-happy than a G, and I didn't kill myself or wrap it around a tree.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSP G35

Oh, and anyone who couldn't drive a G35 at 17 is just a bad driver. At 17, I had a car with a lot more power that was a lot more tail-happy than a G, and I didn't kill myself or wrap it around a tree.
what did you have?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts
G35
I agree on the whole the kid should pay for the car, but thats not what the OP join the forum for. He had a simple question regarding the car itself, and here are all of G35driver members are turning into his financial advisor. You can kick the *** with ANY manual RWD.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I had the G when I was 17. Im 21 now, no accidents and no tickets.
Hope I don't jinx myself ;P

Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
you could just buy him a volvo, good old granny car, then he realizes he can do some mods and be decent. lol

Old 01-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSP G35

The back and forth is what happens on forums. And I don't care how responsible you think you were/are, this thread isn't about you. If everybody knew how to drive responsibly then there would be no need for car insurance, right? I know you've seen many threads of kids wrecking their cars on this forum.

Originally Posted by SAMzG35
I agree on the whole the kid should pay for the car, but thats not what the OP join the forum for. He had a simple question regarding the car itself, and here are all of G35driver members are turning into his financial advisor. You can kick the *** with ANY manual RWD.
Why don't you reread the first post, what's the first question asked?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The way I see it, a reckless 17 year old is going to drive any car he has fast and hard. Sure It may take him longer to get up to dangerous speeds, but he'll still get there. That's how I got my parents to let me buy one (at 17). If I was going to be stupid and drive excessively fast, I could do it in a Civic. However, I do understand there is the added temptation to drive more recklessly due to the power of our car..

Old 01-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Anything RWD shouldn't be anyone's first car. But then again, I live in Chicago where we have snow for 5 months of the year.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my G used when I was 17. Paid for half of it + insurance + gas + maintenance. I babied the car, did all maintenance and drove carefully (for the most part). After a year of driving the car I didn't get any tickets or accidents. Then I totaled the car twice in a matter of 3 months, not trying anything stupid, just not paying enough attention...

I still don't regret buying it, it's a great car and I still drive it and love it. G's are fast but controllable, and very safe (neither my passenger nor myself were injured in any way in the accidents).

If your son contributes to the car, I don't see a reason not to buy one. Just make sure he drives carefully and takes care of the car.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:33 AM
G35
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Why don't you reread the first post, what's the first question asked?
Lets read it together

My son is going to be 17 years old and this looks to be his number one choice of car...
awesome!!

he shows me many mods and pictures of this car everyday.
He showed him mods, which means he already know what hes going into.

Do you think this is a good car for him?
Is it a good car? i could be wrong but i doubt he asking about stunting/drifting/fishtailing. Since he already mentioned mods above im assuming hes already aware of RWD and its power. I'm pretty sure he was asking if the car is reliable or is it trouble

he's a very good driver.
OP on a side note, mods+17 CAN NOT be good, nor responsible.

What are some pros and cons about this "whip"?
This is the part were we can discuss the car power and how it could be too much for him. But nearly everyone who replied in this thread was discussing the price of this car and how he should pay for it and what not

Originally Posted by theVILLE
The way I see it, a reckless 17 year old is going to drive any car he has fast and hard. Sure It may take him longer to get up to dangerous speeds, but he'll still get there. That's how I got my parents to let me buy one (at 17). If I was going to be stupid and drive excessively fast, I could do it in a Civic. However, I do understand there is the added temptation to drive more recklessly due to the power of our car..
Thank you! Dont matter what you drive at 17, if you're not responsible enough and parents didnt put you on a leash you will get in trouble.

Originally Posted by High Octane
Anything RWD shouldn't be anyone's first car. But then again, I live in Chicago where we have snow for 5 months of the year.
I live in Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada. We have nearly 9 months of snow every year and hit temps as low as -60*C (-30*C as we speak). I still have no issue driving the G. But as a new driver you're right its not the best winter car.

Originally Posted by theyog
I got my G used when I was 17. Paid for half of it + insurance + gas + maintenance. I babied the car, did all maintenance and drove carefully (for the most part). After a year of driving the car I didn't get any tickets or accidents. Then I totaled the car twice in a matter of 3 months, not trying anything stupid, just not paying enough attention...

I still don't regret buying it, it's a great car and I still drive it and love it. G's are fast but controllable, and very safe (neither my passenger nor myself were injured in any way in the accidents).

If your son contributes to the car, I don't see a reason not to buy one. Just make sure he drives carefully and takes care of the car.
You got a G when you were 17? You should be banned....DOMO

Old 01-11-2012, 02:00 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by SAMzG35
Do you think this is a good car for him?
Neither of us are wrong because this can be interpreted in a couple of ways. Your answer focuses on the car itself while all of mine say this kid should not be given this car.

The following users liked this post:
SAMzG35 (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 02:27 AM
G35
Agreed.

If i had a G back in highschool, I would have lost track of how many kids i have by now

Old 01-11-2012, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 cents is if he can buy it himself, afford the insurance, pay the bills, and maintenance then he can have what he wants. I had to work for 4 years to buy a G35 at the age of 19, which shows true dedication.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's the thing about having a nice car, cops take greater notice of you, and *******s, vandalize or key your car or something.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by theVILLE
That's what my parents thought and did. I got a brand new '04 G35 when I was 16. Now that they've been around and you can get one used- I think it's even easier to consider this. Did I drive stupid a few times, sure. Did I get pulled over a few times, sure. Would I have done that in any other car- probably more so. The fact that my parents bought me such a nice car made me respect it (and the privilege) that much more.

That being said. This car got me so far into modifying things that I won't buy anything that can be modded without modding it.

Ask my '09 YFZ waverunner and '07 SRT8 Jeep.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 for a High School 17 year old?