The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G35 for a High School 17 year old?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
I got my G when I just turned 18. Nearly crashed a month or two later when I spun out on a wet highway, going a bit too fast for the conditions. Stopped something like 4 feet short of a light pole on the side of the road, worst thing is I saw it coming at me when I was sliding. It was all in slow motion and till I die ill remember very vividly thinking "F!@#, I'm about to crash...I just got this car".

...but I learned, paid back my parents for the car when I was able to, learned how to drive it, and love it to this day and flog it at the track regularly.

Honestly, these cars are pretty dangerous for a young driver. They aren't very fast, but fast enough to get in a lot of trouble. Also not exactly very forgiving when they start to slide, unlike for example a bmw 328 or 335, which take forever to come around and have a very slooow smooth slide that's easy to catch. The G coupe is much more snappy when the a$$ end goes. I've seen plenty of these crashed on the side of the road, one accident literally happened right in front of me when some kid (early 20s) in a white G coupe flew by me on the highway and promptly lost control nailing the divider....scary sight

Old 01-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Row2k
I got my G when I just turned 18. Nearly crashed a month or two later when I spun out on a wet highway, going a bit too fast for the conditions. Stopped something like 4 feet short of a light pole on the side of the road, worst thing is I saw it coming at me when I was sliding. It was all in slow motion and till I die ill remember very vividly thinking "F!@#, I'm about to crash...I just got this car".

...but I learned, paid back my parents for the car when I was able to, learned how to drive it, and love it to this day and flog it at the track regularly.

Honestly, these cars are pretty dangerous for a young driver. They aren't very fast, but fast enough to get in a lot of trouble. Also not exactly very forgiving when they start to slide, unlike for example a bmw 328 or 335, which take forever to come around and have a very slooow smooth slide that's easy to catch. The G coupe is much more snappy when the a$$ end goes. I've seen plenty of these crashed on the side of the road, one accident literally happened right in front of me when some kid (early 20s) in a white G coupe flew by me on the highway and promptly lost control nailing the divider....scary sight
yea, i had a vette as my first car. a "chevette". still got mad *****.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
If cost isn't the most important factor then go for it. If you can afford insurance, maintenance,and the potential fender/bender that accompanies many new drivers than get one. However, if your are like most who are looking for a nice looking reliable car for the new driver in the family that won't cost an arm and a leg than I would start with something more suitable for his age. Scions, Civcs, Protege's, etc are all great cars that are sporty and suitable for that age range. If you start a new driver out with a luxury car (still an Infiniti even if it's 10 years old) that's what they will expect to have for every car purchase in their life. My first car was a crappy Beretta and when I bought my first car after graduating college I was estatic the damn thing had power locks, windows, and a sun roof! Driving a car for him should be a privilege, not a right and buying a G right off the bat seems to be too much. A teenager needs to work towards having nice things. Seems like the equivelant of a college grad buying a 5 bedroom house when they need an apartment.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOGluis
My son is going to be 17 years old and this looks to be his number one choice of car...he shows me many mods and pictures of this car everyday. Do you think this is a good car for him?, he's a very good driver. What are some pros and cons about this "whip"?
From your screenname to your word choice ("whip", seriously?), it sounds like you're looking to be more of a friend to your son than a parent. Not always a bad thing.

I didnt get, and I can't see giving my son, a near 300 HP semi-sports car that will feed into an ego possibly and give him a sense of badassness. Also, at that age, kids have no idea of the their weaknesses or regard for others (no fault of theirs, it's just not in the forefront of their minds).

I'm here to make sure my kid is safe and informed for when he moves out onto his own. Not to be his best friend and always give him what he wants.

Then there is the "means more if he works for it" side of things.

My vote is 4 cylinder, 4 doors.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
i haven't read this whole thread but here are my $0.02.
i would wait until he gets into college (or has a good future) and a job (shows him responsibility) from my experience i got my first car when i was 19 and it was an 04 g35 coupe, i didn't have credit at all so my dad (great credit) signed for me. i had just graduated high school the year before and had a job for about 1.5 years, just saved up my money for a down payment and some for my bank account. If you ask me if a g35 is a good car for a young man, i would say yes but only to certain scenarios. yes i did get into trouble for speeding and i did race but that's because i was a bit immature, i have always paid my dues from car payment, insurance, tickets, parts, repairs, etc. my point is that if you absolutely think he is mature, responsible, and going somewhere in life its a no-brainer. I'm 23 now i work 7 days a week (never missed any kind of bill because my father showed me responsibility since i was young), i recently bought a 05 g35 sedan for my younger brothers and going to college and work, they pay the insurance, gas on it and maintenance on it (i just help them with the car payment), i would not of bought it if i didn't think they were responsible. remember to be a father and not a friend.

-luis

Old 01-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts
G35
You guys seriously need to understand that the G35 is no longer a high end/expensive car. They go for really cheap now and they are almost 10 years old. I dont see how buying him this is different than buying him ANY other RWD car

Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SAMzG35
You guys seriously need to understand that the G35 is no longer a high end/expensive car. They go for really cheap now and they are almost 10 years old. I dont see how buying him this is different than buying him ANY other RWD car
Price isn't the issue for me. I assume we'll get the kid an offlease, or even new, car or truck.

Safety has to do with minimizing the possibility of being stranded on a highway or downtown Atlanta late at night. I can't control WHERE he goes, but I can do my best to make sure his car can get him home without a breakdown.

To get a G "really cheap" (as per common understanding), you're looking at 100k+ miles. No thanks. I know the frustration of driving Fords my whole life, I won't put my kid thru an unreliable or older car.

Let me revise my previous post.... FWD, 4, 4. RWD and kids will hot rod. I did it, all my friends did it, my kid will too.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see a problem with it. Whether its a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder, it doesn't matter, Your son will get into an accident or speeding ticket regardless of the vehicle he is in. If he is immature he will be trouble in any vehicle. The fact that he wants mods done to the car can be used as incentive for him to not be an idiot when he drives. While the G35 is a nice sports car, it is not a Viper or a Corvette. If this is the car you want to get him and you feel as a responsible parent he will be fine in it, than go for it. Your son's maturity level is known by you, not the posters in this forum, Just because someone on this forum was an idiot when they were young that doesn't translate into your kid being an idiot while he is young. Be a responsible parent and use your best judgement. He is your son and not the forums. If he wants it, your cool with getting it for him, than do it.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:26 PM
G35
thats not true, i bought my 04 DG 6MT loaded with Brembos and all (no navi) with 55k miles on it for $11,500 i dont see how thats still too much, even all the 05 and 06 with 30 to 60k miles are going between 15000 & 18000. Thats no different than having a student driving an 09 civic, corolla, G8, lancer, etc...

If the kid is into racing he will do it whether it was in a Civic or a G35. Only advantage with going with a civic is its a FWD, which means its better when it comes to snow. Other than that if the kids is not responsible enough to have such a car hes gonna be in trouble regardless. When i was back in highschool i know most of my friends with honduh got into deeper trouble than most of my friends with rwd cars

Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Ban Hammer Expert

Received 635 Likes on 551 Posts
where did you get your car for that cheap? and when?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:54 PM
G35
Private sale. That was less than 2 months ago. I live in Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Ban Hammer Expert

yeah thats probably why then...

Old 01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my g as an early graduation present at 17. It was my second car after a old pick up with no traction control. I have had the car for 2 years now and still not gotten a single ticket. Teach him responsibilty and make him pay for it. I am paying for half the car, insurance gas and mods and it makes me respect it as its my own. I also agree with others saying help him with maintenance and take him to the track if he wants to race.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Ban Hammer Expert

got my G when i was 19 and it was my 4th car already, i've done my time and although i do have a speeding ticket with this car i haven't been pulled over in 2 years now which i'm pretty proud of

Old 01-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by SAMzG35
Your right, its not. But the G35 still makes it easy for an unexperienced driver to unwillingly kick the @ss end out and wrap it around a tree. The car's age and its cost has nothing to do with what some are saying. Make the kid pay for a CHEAP car he can afford, maintain, and won't cost that much at the pump. Financial responsibility is a good lesson.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 for a High School 17 year old?