The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What did you do to the G today?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:31 AM
Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts
Been absent for some time. However, shop just called me to tell me shes going to the tuner today. I'm a little happy. But kinda over the whole thing due to all the BS and money wasted because shops fd up so much stuff.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:32 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
You guys forgot the new label under a user's name "New thread poster" aaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhh

Old 12-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I need some help. I was replacing some hoses and vacuum lines this morning.

The evap purge solenoid valve nipple that goes to the back of the intake plenum neck broke. it's going to be a week before the replacement comes in but I havr to work the next 5 days. What can I do. This is the plastic nipple that comes off the evap solenoid in the back of the engine. There is no way I can reattach the nipple. I don't think epoxy will hold. A plastic welder would be perfect but I don't own one. Can I plug both ends. I'm not even sure what the evap purge solenoid the does.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Swaglife81
I need some help. I was replacing some hoses and vacuum lines this morning.

The evap purge solenoid valve nipple that goes to the back of the intake plenum neck broke. it's going to be a week before the replacement comes in but I havr to work the next 5 days. What can I do. This is the plastic nipple that comes off the evap solenoid in the back of the engine. There is no way I can reattach the nipple. I don't think epoxy will hold. A plastic welder would be perfect but I don't own one. Can I plug both ends. I'm not even sure what the evap purge solenoid the does.
plug the hose that goes to engine to avoid vacuum leak, leave evap side open. you'll probably get a check engine light, just clear it when you replace the solenoid.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm in bad need of tires all the way around but I'm on factory 17s so I'm trying to hold off til I can get wheels also. Where did you buy used Michelin's in good shape?
I found them on craigslist. Turns out it was a guy working at a Chevy dealership who was keeping them for his car but he ended up getting a Silverado instead. The tires have like new tread but are removed normally because they're punctured and discarded for owners who rather have a new tire fitted instead of one with a patch/plug. Most reputable tire shops these days sell with road hazard protection and that sort of thing. So if someone had a puncture after 1000 miles, that tire might be removed and set aside for junk unless someone decided to patch it and keep it. Do it twice and you have a nice pair. Also sometimes people who have a puncture on one side will replace the tires in a pair to keep the tread depths equal or because they "might as well". That's how I got my previous set where one was perfectly fine and the other had a plug.

Both my current rear tires have a patch plug (one side has two since my puncture last weekend). I know many would be skeptical about it and for some the possible drawbacks would far outweigh the simple convenience of new warranty covered flawless tires, but for me the benefits win. It depends on the hourly value of your time. Is it worth 2/3 hours of searching and travelling for some tires and the possibility of getting stuck if a patch decides to leak. Is your work/university a few miles away or too far to risk driving on a spare. If you get a flat are you going to be missing a trivial class or a critical sales presentation.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Replaced the oem cats with the test pipes with the stock Y pipe and stock mufflers-sounds nice and deep,feels pretty normal until you punch it and can feel much harder pull now compare to before with the stock cats!

Old 12-09-2016, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by LoSt180
plug the hose that goes to engine to avoid vacuum leak, leave evap side open. you'll probably get a check engine light, just clear it when you replace the solenoid.
I have a vacuum cap plugged so I'm good on that end. It's just open on the solenoid end now like you said. Sad something so tiny is so expensive, lol. Everything was so brittle on this car that's why I was replacing some of the hoses and stuff anyway

Old 12-10-2016, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just joined community today and figured this was as good a thread as any to introduce myself in! Oh and i did install oshram 5000k heads today too!

Old 12-10-2016, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,019 Likes on 937 Posts
Originally Posted by downsouthG
Just joined community today and figured this was as good a thread as any to introduce myself in! Oh and i did install oshram 5000k heads today too!
What year G and what bulb type?
Welcome.

I've signed up for my first track day.... ****... also got some sponsored Michelin PSS's!

The following users liked this post:
BradMD_96 (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 01:36 AM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
ooo pls be osram cbi's. im a big fan

Old 12-10-2016, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by downsouthG
Post pics. My car the previous owner installed 5k or maybe a 5500k not sure. So I would love to see a 5k current application to compare. Mine look like a perfect true white from a distance but up close they look closer to 6k because of the reflector. Good to see new members but we want pics in this thread by the way that's why we read it, lol.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
I found them on craigslist. Turns out it was a guy working at a Chevy dealership who was keeping them for his car but he ended up getting a Silverado instead. The tires have like new tread but are removed normally because they're punctured and discarded for owners who rather have a new tire fitted instead of one with a patch/plug. Most reputable tire shops these days sell with road hazard protection and that sort of thing. So if someone had a puncture after 1000 miles, that tire might be removed and set aside for junk unless someone decided to patch it and keep it. Do it twice and you have a nice pair. Also sometimes people who have a puncture on one side will replace the tires in a pair to keep the tread depths equal or because they "might as well". That's how I got my previous set where one was perfectly fine and the other had a plug.

Both my current rear tires have a patch plug (one side has two since my puncture last weekend). I know many would be skeptical about it and for some the possible drawbacks would far outweigh the simple convenience of new warranty covered flawless tires, but for me the benefits win. It depends on the hourly value of your time. Is it worth 2/3 hours of searching and travelling for some tires and the possibility of getting stuck if a patch decides to leak. Is your work/university a few miles away or too far to risk driving on a spare. If you get a flat are you going to be missing a trivial class or a critical sales presentation.
Ive been in the same boat. Back in my younger immature days when I was street racing and drag racing all the time I was going through 3 sets of rear tires a year. I seemed to always get a screw in a new tire, I drove forever on patches tires and never had issues or even loss of air. Always heating up the tires I was always having to reduce the air if anything. I really want to hear how they do in rain. I'm in Tennessee and when we get cold weather like below freezing it's only about 4 weeks out of the year. We have really long falls and springs. Do you guys get weather like in the 50s I'm curious how they perform in above freezibg temps that aren't 80+ plus weather. When I price a big tire purchase I research what Corvette and high end Italian cars are using. I saw the 458 Ferrari I think decided on the Pilot Super Sports and I was sold. I remember in the 90s my grandfather was driving Lincoln's and said there's no better tire than Michelin.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:56 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
What year G and what bulb type?
Welcome.

I've signed up for my first track day.... ****... also got some sponsored Michelin PSS's!
HTF did you get sponsored rubber from Michelin?????

Major props!!

Old 12-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Saw this googling on a Z. The bends are crazy but guarantee there is no rasp. In my mustang days before mid muffler exhausts were getting popular we would weld in J Tubes
This is a HKS car back. They definitely put in some r and d in that setup. Not a fan of the muffler's though. Looks interesting how ever

Old 12-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Ive been in the same boat. Back in my younger immature days when I was street racing and drag racing all the time I was going through 3 sets of rear tires a year. I seemed to always get a screw in a new tire, I drove forever on patches tires and never had issues or even loss of air. Always heating up the tires I was always having to reduce the air if anything. I really want to hear how they do in rain. I'm in Tennessee and when we get cold weather like below freezing it's only about 4 weeks out of the year. We have really long falls and springs. Do you guys get weather like in the 50s I'm curious how they perform in above freezibg temps that aren't 80+ plus weather. When I price a big tire purchase I research what Corvette and high end Italian cars are using. I saw the 458 Ferrari I think decided on the Pilot Super Sports and I was sold. I remember in the 90s my grandfather was driving Lincoln's and said there's no better tire than Michelin.
You probably picked up punctures in the quiet streets people race on which weren't maintained or those sort of developments where construction halts due to financial issues. So far I never had any issues with the plugged or patched tires although one of the previous Michelin PS I had was leaking due to bead failure. Probably something to do with the tire or the people who fit it because I'm pretty careful where I drive.

I drove the PSS once in the rain so far, didn't push it much but they felt good and sticky still, I'm yet to try flat out pulls from a dig. The PS a/s3 I had before would spin through 1st,2nd and some of 3rd once the ground was a little wet - surprised being they were wide Michelins but I think it's the harder rubber they use for longer life. Over here the weather MAY drop into the 50's, but it'll be the top end. So far in the upper 60 degree weather they still grip endlessly. Not sure how they perform cold straight off the bat because I tend not to race the engine till it's up to temp, by which time the tires are already warmed up.

I have the 255 Pzero's (with a 220 treadwear) in front and I'd say the PSS is way more sticky. Overall the car feels extremely well balanced in corners and it really gives you good confidence to lay the power down. After all, these same tires are factory fitted to the C7 stingrays (Z51) with 460 hp/torque so they are definitely capable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the G today?