G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Darn Confused now...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darn Confused now...

Well, I drove a 2003 350Z for the first time today finally. Now I cn say I really like the sound of the car and the way it handles. I got to take it out for a good and nicce fun boot to see what it had. About an hour later I was able to find a 2003 G35 coupe without the Brembo and was an automatic. I was able to take this one out with a salesman from the lot, so of course I was not really able to drive this car.

Now the issue is I really like the 350Z but it is just a 2 seater and is not very economical, I found the seat was not able to be adjusted so that I could press the clutch to the floor and yet still be far enough away from the steering wheel so that I could just hang my wrists over the top of the wheel. Other than these two things I loved the car... such a damn cool tire pressure guage thingy on the dash =) and a subwoofer to boot.

On the other hand the seats in the G35 where amazingly comfertable the creature comforts were nice, didnt like the heating and air switches like the cool ones in the Z could easily carry four people and or 2 with a bunch of lugguage. I could not tell what type of performance it had in comparision to the Z though cxause the salesdood was there and it was an automatic without the performance package.

So I am totally confused as tro which car to get...... I guess the main questions would b does the G35 6 speed feel like the 350Z and sound like it etc...

Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 11-01-2003, 08:07 AM
Re: Darn Confused now...

when i was told about the G, i went to dealership. tested sedan and coupe, AT's. they had no MT's i could test, all were spoken for.

dealer suggested i test a Z for the MT. i did. Z is zippy, great car. G is basically all of that with a little more luxury and a back seat.

04 6mtC, DG - possibly most babied G on the board.

Old 11-01-2003, 11:09 AM

All you need to do is schedule a test drive of a 6MT G35C and it'll tell you all you need to know.

I never drove a coupe without the performance package, but I did drive an auto tranny one, and while it's a great automatic, it ain't the same as a 6MT, and I wanted a manual. I test drove a 6MT coupe three separate times before committing to buy one.

I also drove a 6MT 350Z Track model and found it to be almost indistiguishable from the G35C in the 10 minutes I had with it. The engine felt exactly the same to me (I know the Z measures a tick or two faster to 60 but I couldn't sense it), and in both cars there was more cornering grip than I could run out of. I still have yet to find any sane limit to the G35C's handling with VDC on, while on my '95 BMW 325is/5mt/Sport/Bridgestone Potenza S03s I could find it with the greatest of ease.

I didn't like the engine noise in the Z (from the intake I think), or the cheap interior bits (esp the nav lid), or the cloth seats, or the dismal storage space. I also don't like the rear styling (especially the taillights) and the door handles. but that's just personal taste.

I feel like I got 99% of the Z's performance with the G35C, and twice the style, luxury and practicality. YMMV...

Old 11-01-2003, 11:34 AM

I test drove both the 350Z and the G before making my decision as well. No difference that I could feel. What turned me off on the Z was the power seat only moved forward/back, cheaper interiro, and no enclosed trunk!

Old 11-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The suspension on the Z is stiffer and the car is lower, but you might not notice any bounce during a test drive.

--Steve

Old 11-01-2003, 01:05 PM

I think to compare the Gcoupe and 350z performance wise ,you need to not testdrive it, but really take it out into all situations. This may be difficult... Unless you have cool friends with both the cars heh. Like I didn't.

Basically, the G is a little more heavier, longer wheelbase, but a hella lot nicer on the inside. Z isn't practical, but the G isn't totally practical either. The keyword is MORE practical. But we aren't really going for practicality here, so take ur pick. Track optionz 350z is kind of a rip off if you ask me. You get like .. Xenon lights, Aluminum pedals, Brembo brakes, a bunch of small minor things, tht already come with a G. For the same price. Minus the nice leather seats, decent looking, if not great quality interior of the G, and IMHO the overall classyness of a Gcoupe vs a 350z. Both cars turn heads, but the 350z has a long standing tradition, (which I didn't think they matched with the 350z vs some of the older ones, like the 300zx).

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 11-01-2003, 01:22 PM

Ive driven a Z befor its little more sportier then the G.... but i think the g's luxury highly makes up for it... The G is a better more comfortable car to own... I would only recomend getting the Z if you had another everyday car..

Old 11-01-2003, 02:04 PM

Thanks a bunch for the responses on this. I will continue to look for a 6mt to drive but I highly doubt I will find one.

Overall I am leaning towards the G over the Z

Old 11-01-2003, 02:09 PM

I didn't test drive a 6MT before I bought my G35 (6MT) - only an automatic. I have not at all been disappointed. And this isn't the first 6MT car I've owned.

03 6MT Coupe, Silver/Willow, Premium, Aero, Splash Guards, Infiniti Chrome Wheels
96 6MT WS6 Trans Am
67 Firebird

Old 11-01-2003, 09:13 PM

They only had the AT when I test drove and I fell in love and told the guy that mine needs to have the 6MT. I got the 6MT without test driving it, based on the test drive of the AT. Havent had the chance to test drive a Z yet. From what I've heard from a few Z owners that I've run into, they say that it does get bouncy on the highway and the ride is a little rough. I am 20 yrs old and would never give up the comfort of the G for a Z. I know I'm young and can handle the bumps and rattles, but that's what I had my little 74 vette for.

Old 11-01-2003, 10:01 PM

I bought the car of a picture, never saw it or drove it untill I paid for it.....it met all my expectations.

Old 11-01-2003, 10:16 PM

Can't really call out G's "comfortable" compared to a Z. Itz still pretty bumpy either way you put it. =)

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 11-03-2003, 05:07 PM

I was in the same situation you were in.. get the G .. you'll have no regrets and neverending compliments all around... plus the G has the name infiniti, better interior & 4 seats for about the same price...

04' G35C 6MT TwilightBlue/Willow/Prem/Nav/SG

Old 11-04-2003, 08:28 AM

I was dead set on getting a 350Z from the first day I saw the prototype photos and went straight to the local dealer the week they came in. Loved the way it looked inside and out, but was more than disappointed with the lack of storage space and the stereo that sounded really awful. The ride was firm but not harsh and I thought the car would be fun, but not for a daily driver. After a few months, the G35 was out and I went to look at it. At first I didn't think it looked quite as sharp as the Z, but it grew on me. Although I still like the Z's interior appearance better. In the end, the G's additional room, better ride and luxury features sold me. I've not regreted it because were I am located, I see a dozen 350's every week, and maybe one or two G35 coupes every month!!

Laser Red 6MT Coupe / Delivered by Grubbs Infiniti

Old 11-04-2003, 09:36 AM

I also test drove the Z first. The rear view difficult and the interior seemed cheaply appointed. I then test drove the 6 mt G35 on the same day. The decision was a no brainer. The G35 has it over the Z350 in both looks and luxury appointments. Not to mention that my insurance costs are lower.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Darn Confused now...