G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Nismo Cold Air Intake Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nismo Cold Air Intake Questions

Hey guys,

I know that there have been posts on this, but I did a search and couldn't find the exact information that I was looking for. Here are my questions:

1) Where can I buy a Nismo Cold Air Intake?

- I have tried www.japanparts.com, www.nismo.com, and www.strictlyz.com and could not find it listed.

2) How much does it cost?

3) Are all accessories needed for installation included in the kit?

4) What is the HP gain from this modification?
- at the crank?
- at the rear wheels?

5) Has anyone checked out what this does to our warrenty on our engine?

6) I purchased a warrenty to 100k miles and want to make sure that if I do this modification, any problem or defect with my engine will be covered.

7) What are the regulations of this in California (I currently live in Northern Cali)? Emissions test.... will it pass with this Nismo CAI?

8) What are the regulations in NY (will move there soon) with this Nismo CAI?

Please advise. If I install this, I don't want to have to re-install the stock intake just to pass smog inspection or NY state inspection. I know that this has been addressed many times, but I could not find this specific information in the forum. Thanks guys.

Jaime

Here's to alcohol : The cause of ... and answer to all of life's problems.

- Homer Simpson

Old 12-06-2003, 12:39 AM
Banned
Re: Nismo Cold Air Intake Questions

350zforums.org all parts for install are included...your gains are the same as the stillen cai or aem...injen is slightly higher 7-10...it is carb exempt and it will pass emissions with the cai installed...all it does is just draw in more denser colder air...

Northface

Old 12-06-2003, 01:19 AM

I do not see the Nismo CAI system available on www.350zforums.org. I do see the AEM, Pro1, and Injen systems, but I am specifically looking for the Nismo system.

If anyone has information about the Nismo system, please advise. Thanks

Jaime

- Homer Simpson

Old 12-06-2003, 01:24 AM

Is that documented? The injen actually makes more power than the Nismo? I would think they'd be the same. Maybe the higher dyno had another mod to help compliment it.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:31 AM

I got your PM 6mt, I'll have to reply to it tomorrow though, some of the info is on my work machine.

I'd bet dollars to donuts the Nismo and Injen have performance gains that are similar in the extreme, since their designs are almost identical.

There are several other threads with where to get it and such; I'll post links to them tomorrow <yawn> gotta hit the sack here.

Black/Willow 03.5 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, SAT
350Z Nismo CAI

Old 12-06-2003, 01:39 AM

Thanks a lot Shader7. I did go through the search for all this stuff, but I just wasn't having any luck coming up with all this info. I look forward to your response. I want to buy myself this Christmas present.

Why is it that my girlfriend will not buy this [censored] for me for Christmas? She just doesn't see how much this car means to me.... So weird....

- Homer Simpson

Old 12-06-2003, 01:10 PM

OK, I paid $305 and got it from here:
Nissan Wholesale Parts

. . . but I think it's cheaper here, ~$270:
Performance Nissan Parts

All you need are the tools to install it (see the DIY). In fact, since it's for the 350Z, there are some parts you don't need (or want) left over.

Unknown about the power gain, but it will very likely be the same as the Injen.

Warranty repairs can only be denied if the failure can be proven to be a result of one or more non-OEM parts. It still may make life difficult if you foresee warranty work on the engine, so there is some risk there.

For CA emissions, I suspect this change will not create any failures. It doesn't change the intake that much, and the fuel:air mixture is still controlled by the computer/MAF so I see no reason to expect any emissions problems. I'll report back when I do my smog check.

Unknown about New York, but since CA has the toughest emissions requirements in the nation, whatever NY wants will be a subset of CA.

My advice: Get the Nismo, keep the OEM stuff and if you ever have a problem, swap it back in.

Black/Willow 03.5 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, SAT
350Z Nismo CAI

Old 12-06-2003, 02:02 PM

Hey Shader7,

Thanks so much for the information. I would really hate to take this thing out once I install it due to some smog check or NY inspection.

Actually, I got the car in April and will not need a smog check for another 2 years, by which I will be moving back to NY... So the only thing I need to worry about is the NY state inspection process.

Any NYers that have put in aftermarket CAI that have gone through the inspection? What is the deal?

Thanks.... Jaime

- Homer Simpson

Old 12-06-2003, 06:38 PM

Alright,

I went down to the dealership today (Frontier Infiniti - San Jose, CA) and explained to them what I wanted to do with my CAI. Basically, they said that if I do any aftermarket installation of an Intake, whether it be Nismo, AEM, Injen, etc, that it will void my warrenty for that part of the car. Since changing the Intake would f_ck with the MAF, and all parts related to air flow into the combustion chamber, I have decided not to do it myself. I paid $1,600 for the Infiniti Elite warrenty (100,000 miles / 7 year), so I am not going to take a chance.

They are going to call me on Monday with an Infiniti approved list of different intakes that they will allow for installation without voiding my warrenty. Of course, these parts have to come from the Nissan factory, which means that some or all of the Nismo intakes will be covered.

Once I get that information, I will post to the group. I would love to do this installation myself, but it is not worth the void in the warrenty for a car that I plan on keeping for a long time. I will also let everyone know if my choice in intake is 50 state legal. Thanks

Jaime

- Homer Simpson

Old 12-06-2003, 07:02 PM

Dealerships always try and scare people with the voided warranty crap. By "LAW" they can not deny warranty work to anyone without proof of the cause. If they can prove without doubt the intake caused damage then they can deny warranty service. But your chances of the intake or exhaust causing the problem are practically none. Salesman know nothing about their cars or the warranty. Service reps are just as bad. I understand your fear with an extended warranty but they're blowin smoke up your ****. If you wanted you could remove the part when you take it in for service. Stick to one service spot with mods on and go elsewhere after taking them off.

Old 12-07-2003, 01:34 AM

Hey Sexxay,

I understand what you are saying and I do know that I could save a few $$ by doing it myself, but honestly, once this baby goes in, I really do not want to have to take it out... whether for a NY state inspection or for some engine issue. That is just a pain in the ***.

I will wait to see what their approved list of intakes are and then make a decision on that. Thanks for all the input though. I appreciate it.

- Homer Simpson

Old 12-07-2003, 02:43 AM

Let us know the list as well as I'm sure there are other members that would like to stay within warranty guidelines. You would THINK Nismo would be one of them *shrug*

Old 12-07-2003, 03:48 AM

am I wrong in thinking that everything Nismo is considered Nissan factory?? The OM (or warranty booklet) explains the coverage on aftermarket mods, and Nismo parts are completely covered for the length of the warranty...

Old 12-07-2003, 09:02 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All Nismo S-tune aftermarket parts do not void the warranty. The CAI is an R-tune part so it does void the warranty with the above mentioned law in consideration.

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT Coupe, nav, aero, V1, PS2, & TVs all up in the headrests.
Jax, FL

Old 12-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Montgomery's Finest

Now i need to see tht list..Now i really want to know is voiding the warrenty. if so would all cia void the warrenty.??

MY CAR MY ROAD R.I.P. TO ALL OTHERS
350gt [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nismo Cold Air Intake Questions