G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Any Chance for a Seat Recall - Opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Chance for a Seat Recall - Opinions

Hey guys, I recently just started having the disintegrating seat cushion and rocking chair effect on my drivers seat. The left bottom bolster is starting to leave little tan dandruff all over the floor. Chics dig it LOL

The rocking seat just started last week and has gotten progressively worse since. It really rocks upon acceleration and braking. This has to be a major security concern on Infiniti's part. If someone had an accident due to this it would be a major lawsuit.

Problem is that my Bumper to Bumper time just expired. It was at the beginning of September before I noticed the problem. I have not hit the mileage cap however. Do you guys think there is any chance of them fixing this for me? Anyone ever had this done when out of warranty time but not mileage? Any suggestions. Really don't want to take it in and have them charge me a diagnostic fee to look at my seat and tell it is not covered. I am concerned about the safety aspect. It is pretty bad and I am 6'5" and 220lb so that is a lot of stress on the seat.

Lastly, would any of you with the same seat problem consider writing group complaint letters to get them to issue a seat recall or have any suggestions on how to get Infiniti admit they have a major safety problem with the drivers seat. This has to happen to lots outside of warranty period...

Thanks all!!!

Flyby

Old 10-01-2007, 11:33 PM
while talking to my {very honest} dealer about extending my warranty (got mine May 03), I asked them specifically about things like this happening after my warranty was out. They told me that Infiniti gives them 'goodwill' money to do stuff like this. Since I bought the car there, they would probably fix this issue without cost to me, even OOW. But OOW repairs are gonna vary.. big time YMMV. I never heard them actually talk about goodwill TSB repairs.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
There seems to be a lot more people coming forward with this exact problem.
I experienced the same failure a year or so into ownership, It was taken care of under warranty.

They replaced both the bottom foam cushion and the leather......I have not had any problems since, and I think they improved the foam considerably.

I would take it in to your dealer and politely bitch about this as not the standard you would expect from a car such as Infiniti....who knows, it may be worth a try...

They fixed my seat rocking at the same time, but now I notice it seems to be starting again...

There is a fix it thread that loosened and re-tightened the bolts on the back of the seat mount...and many people found this to work adequately.

Good luck

Old 10-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FlyByG35
Hey guys, I recently just started having the disintegrating seat cushion and rocking chair effect on my drivers seat. The left bottom bolster is starting to leave little tan dandruff all over the floor. Chics dig it LOL

The rocking seat just started last week and has gotten progressively worse since. It really rocks upon acceleration and braking. This has to be a major security concern on Infiniti's part. If someone had an accident due to this it would be a major lawsuit.

Problem is that my Bumper to Bumper time just expired. It was at the beginning of September before I noticed the problem. I have not hit the mileage cap however. Do you guys think there is any chance of them fixing this for me? Anyone ever had this done when out of warranty time but not mileage? Any suggestions. Really don't want to take it in and have them charge me a diagnostic fee to look at my seat and tell it is not covered. I am concerned about the safety aspect. It is pretty bad and I am 6'5" and 220lb so that is a lot of stress on the seat.

Lastly, would any of you with the same seat problem consider writing group complaint letters to get them to issue a seat recall or have any suggestions on how to get Infiniti admit they have a major safety problem with the drivers seat. This has to happen to lots outside of warranty period...

Thanks all!!!

Flyby
no recall but they will fix it, they fixed mine twice

Old 10-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 for under warranty fix. They replaced the foam in both seats and the leather on the driver side after it was damaged by lack of support underneath. I think nissan seat foam sucks!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the input. I guess I will try to take it up there and see what happens.

g35rcr - did either of the times they fixed it fall outside of the warranty period? in2win - yours were under warranty correct?

I used to have an A4. A4's were known to have major control arm problems. They did not fail really but the bushings in them go bad and cause squeaking and sometimes sagging in the suspension. After enough of us complained about it they finally issued a recall. Not only did they issue a recall but they reimbursed those that had the work done out of warranty.

You know, Infiniti is not very smart in my book for not recalling something having to do with the drivers seat. Scenario, a person with a rocking seat gets into an accident. Proof seat is loose is obvious and even insurance adjustor notices it. Insurance companies and owners start going after Infiniti because the rocking seat caused the accident. Foot could not brake correctly, seats rocks when turning etc... Really very dangerous when you think about it. With all that play in the seat it increases the chance that something will snap during hard braking etc... as well. Anybody recall a little incident with Ford and Firestone tires??? Almost ruined the company...

Come on Infiniti, recall our seats and stop jeopardizing or safety and fess up publicly you had a problem!!! They are subpar seats to begin with and if I was Infiniti I would not want my name on them!!!

Last edited by FlyByG35; 10-02-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:36 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
damn you guys are lucky i went to 2 dealers here. and this is what they said yeah i have a g35 too thats not even a year old and its started to look like yours. they use bad leather. ..... i was like ummmm so if you know bout it can you replace mine, thier answer no. but i can redo it for 2k per seat for you.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:57 PM
If it is under warranty they wiil replace the leather if you complain enough. They replaced covers on my passenger side about a year ago. Told me the same thing about $2k until I said I would let my attorney take care of it and never buy another infiniti again. Of course, I was under full bumper to bumper at the time. Push hard man and they will fix it. Tell them there is no way in heck you are going to buy that G37 you are looking at unless they fix this car first. Especially if the leather seats are just as bad. :-)