G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dropped off my car yesterday morning around 8:30am to get this taken care of and they had it done around 3:30. i picked it up this morning tho bc i love the g37x sedan they give as a loaner car haha.

no money out of my pocket thankfully for the extended warranty!!!!

love forums for this reason otherwise i wouldnt have known about this

Old 08-04-2010, 05:28 PM
luckily I checked mine this weekend and I found no oil in cylinder #6 which is the one on the driver side closest to the driver... right?

what now to prevent this issue on my car I have no warranty.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone seen this on any other cylinder? I just checked my #6 cylinder and I don't have any oil. I want to make sure it's only an issue with #6 and not any other cylinders.

Thanks

Old 08-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by surma884
Has anyone seen this on any other cylinder? I just checked my #6 cylinder and I don't have any oil. I want to make sure it's only an issue with #6 and not any other cylinders.

Thanks
Yes, you should check all of them just to be sure... you might as well go ahead and replace the spark plugs while you have the coil packs out.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:50 PM
^ which spark plugs do you recommend for an 04 Coupe 6mt?

Old 08-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that this issue has been out for awhile, do the replacement valve covers fix the issue? My car is an 06' with only 24,000km on it but I'm going to check for this on the weekend. My only concern is the issue is chronic and past my warranty period in 3 years I have to foot the bill for $1000 in parts and labour.

Between this and the oil consumption problem, I'm not sure if getting the G was such a smart idea for a long term vehicle purchase.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by becundo
^ which spark plugs do you recommend for an 04 Coupe 6mt?
Check the spark plug DIY on this forum. They are NGK plugs. The DIY will tell you the exact model number.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Add me to the list of victims of the f***ing gasketless valve cover Nissan scam... Just found oil in both sides. Thankfully picking up some valve covers today for $150 (barely used 22k miles) and I figure I might as well do a plenum spacer while im at it. Speaking of which... if anyone has one FS PM me. Thanks

Old 08-15-2010, 07:55 PM
I checked all my coil packs/spark plugs today and no oil. I'm at 71k miles, so should I assume that I will most likely not have this valve cover issue in the near future (about 5 years)? I am asking because I am going to do some service on it. I will be doing the following:

1. New tires (all 4).
2. New spark plugs.
3. New air filter.
4. New in cabin air filter.
5. Change differential fluid.
6. Change drive belts (A/C and alternator).
7. Remove 2 dents.
8. Fix axle click.

This will run me at least $1500 so I don't want to do all this work and have to give up the car.

Thanks

Old 08-15-2010, 08:02 PM
far as I know it just deteriorates over time. There is no guarantee. Just check again even before you need plugs to see. I have also heard from many people that it's not even a huge issue but it bothered me so I'm doing something about it.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by brmintz
far as I know it just deteriorates over time. There is no guarantee. Just check again even before you need plugs to see. I have also heard from many people that it's not even a huge issue but it bothered me so I'm doing something about it.
Cool, good luck on it. I may do the same if it happens in the future. How difficult is it to replace the valve covers? I know you have to take the upper and lower plenums off. Once that is off you have access to the valve covers right?

Thanks

Old 08-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Yeah that's basically what is involved. Havn't done it before so we'll see. Gonna do it with a buddy next week after my plenum spacer comes in. I'll post again with my impressions on how difficult it was.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Ok so here it is an update, I went to the stealership today and they told me that my car has a recall for some airbag cables, plugs or something like that I don't really know cause I haven't see anything about this around here... so I'm taking my car in next Tuesday for this to be checked, but they also tell me that my car still in power train warranty until this December so I have 4 month left. I checked my spark plug on cylinder #6 and I found no oil.

What should I do in order to take advantage over the power-train warranty and this common issue?

Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 AM
did the whole job with a buddy last weekend. Total time was 8 hours but we were umm hung over from the night before, had to break for rain once and installed a plenum spacer splugs and some new PCV hoses as well. The gaskets were a b*** but other than that it wasn't too terrible. All in all I am very happy, car runs great now and I saved ~$600.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by brmintz
did the whole job with a buddy last weekend. Total time was 8 hours but we were umm hung over from the night before, had to break for rain once and installed a plenum spacer splugs and some new PCV hoses as well. The gaskets were a b*** but other than that it wasn't too terrible. All in all I am very happy, car runs great now and I saved ~$600.
8 hours saved $600, that is good money. I need to change my spark plugs and drive belts. I gotta fix my axle click and this damn knocking sound coming from the rear. Hopefully the knocking sound is related to the click. I'm gonna take out the sway bar just in case. But I'll post back when I change my plugs and drive belts to let people know how the car runs.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!