G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spacecitygroove
i found oil in my plugs.. its pretty bad in one of the holes.. The oil is soaking the tip of the plug.. dont know how it can even spark..
its not misfiring or throwing any codes tho.

What is the long term side effects of letting it drip into the hole..
I dont have the money to replace the valve cover gasket right now..
I think you may have a misfire. So your car will be running on 5 cylinders. There may be other things but I'm not sure.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
I am gonna pull my plugs and check this out.... I have my extended warranty so I am gonna check.... Sometimes I think my car misfires...

Old 12-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 6mt coupe with 65k. The dealership in Tampa is playing dumb as to if it's covered under the powertrain warranty. I'm wondering if I need to go to Orlando to get service from now on.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
This wouldn't be an issue had the valve cover been made of metal and the spark plug gasket was removal and not 'built-in".

This all in one crap Nissan has going on in cheap shlt AND expensive to replace. Makes no sense. Lets replace 2 valve covers at $1000 instead of 6 silicone gasket at $20 and 2 valve cover gasket at $15.

Edit: Since the G35 uses the same MOTOR as a Nissan Maxima. You can buy the Nissan cover instead. LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GENUI...Q5fAccessories

$35 compared to $300.

Edit: Just checked. Looks like the cover is a bit different. Meaning the OEM G35 plastic engine cover may not bolt onto the Nissan Maxima Valve Cover.

Last edited by jibberjabbers; 12-28-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:08 PM
I posted this on page 10

I posted this on page 10, however I had to edit it because Nissan/Inifnity does not sell the valve gaskets seperately.

Oh No not the dreaded Valve cover oil leak in the plug well again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the same stuff I ran into when I had a Ford Tarus SHO.
The engine was made by Yamaha and it was supposed to be a boat engine.
Man I loved that engine but what a PITA it was to work on it.

After 60K what happens is the rubber gets hard and oil will eventualy leak into the Spark plug well. For extra insurance you can put a light bead of RTV but you have to remember when you squish those pieces together the RTV will ooze out and evenutaly flake off into your valve area. You have a good chance that it may clog up an oil passage.

You seriously do not want oil in the plug wells. There were some pretty nasty pics of what happened when you negelected the 60K maintenace interval on the SHO. Spark plug wires melted, Coil packs destroyed. I lost 1 coil on my Coilpack I drove on 5 cylinders for over a year. I don't dog my cars so I never saw the performance loss.

Rubber has only so much of a lifespan. You have to realize that with all that heat and then cool down and that happening everyday for however long it takes to get to 60k the rubber will loose it's sealing properties.

I believe I read somehwere on like the 8th page that the valve covers are made of Plastic? The SHO's were made of aluminum it doesn't make a difference what the material is it still leaked.

When 2 surfaces meet together you nee some sort of a gasket, Rubber deteriorates over time and heat, cold and expansion don't help it.

Remember the pointy headed bean counters figured out that plastic is cheaper than metal and replacing an entire valve cover instead of creating a valve cover with user replaceable seals was something nobody was gonna spill the beans over. It's a new car for 5 years and then you sell the issue to someone else.

Cars are like cell phones.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by NetNinja
I posted this on page 10, however I had to edit it because Nissan/Inifnity does not sell the valve gaskets seperately.

Oh No not the dreaded Valve cover oil leak in the plug well again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the same stuff I ran into when I had a Ford Tarus SHO.
The engine was made by Yamaha and it was supposed to be a boat engine.
Man I loved that engine but what a PITA it was to work on it.

After 60K what happens is the rubber gets hard and oil will eventualy leak into the Spark plug well. For extra insurance you can put a light bead of RTV but you have to remember when you squish those pieces together the RTV will ooze out and evenutaly flake off into your valve area. You have a good chance that it may clog up an oil passage.

You seriously do not want oil in the plug wells. There were some pretty nasty pics of what happened when you negelected the 60K maintenace interval on the SHO. Spark plug wires melted, Coil packs destroyed. I lost 1 coil on my Coilpack I drove on 5 cylinders for over a year. I don't dog my cars so I never saw the performance loss.

Rubber has only so much of a lifespan. You have to realize that with all that heat and then cool down and that happening everyday for however long it takes to get to 60k the rubber will loose it's sealing properties.

I believe I read somehwere on like the 8th page that the valve covers are made of Plastic? The SHO's were made of aluminum it doesn't make a difference what the material is it still leaked.

When 2 surfaces meet together you nee some sort of a gasket, Rubber deteriorates over time and heat, cold and expansion don't help it.

Remember the pointy headed bean counters figured out that plastic is cheaper than metal and replacing an entire valve cover instead of creating a valve cover with user replaceable seals was something nobody was gonna spill the beans over. It's a new car for 5 years and then you sell the issue to someone else.

Cars are like cell phones.
Um, a Cell pone is 400. A car is 40k. Should last longer than 3 years imo.

And yes, an a metal valvecover with replaceable silicone/rubber seals would have been better. Most car and older Nissan cars did it that way.

But I guess Nissan decided to cut cost and make an all in one plastic cover. That is cheap to make but expensive to replace. Good call.

And my POST ABOVE shows the price difference.. LOL. Same motor, Different price.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been smelling burning oil coming from the engine lately. My car's an '05 with 26k on it. Completely stock engine. Is there usually the smell of burning oil?

Old 01-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Subscribed....I'll be checking/replacing my spark plugs soon. I'm close to 100K and obviously out of warranty on my '03 sedan. I hope I won't be finding any flooded holes!

Old 01-18-2011, 03:38 AM
Would this problem apply to an 2007 G35 sedan?? Warranty about to expire and wondering if I need to check

Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 PM
damn now im paranoid about my G, almost wish i hadnt read this, jk. but ima have to check this out.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:03 PM
thanks for the heads up!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by JacekPSUr6
Subscribed....I'll be checking/replacing my spark plugs soon. I'm close to 100K and obviously out of warranty on my '03 sedan. I hope I won't be finding any flooded holes!
So, I got to changing my spark plugs @ a couple hundred over 100K miles on the clock. Bought the car used with over 77K miles and didn't think of checking on this. So, two cylinders (5 & 6) were pretty much flooded with oil. Looking for Valve/Rocker covers now. Riverside Infiniti should start a group buy for these things. Bythabay, you wanna help a brotha out when I'll get all the parts?
I'm up in Pleasant Hill.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by JacekPSUr6
So, I got to changing my spark plugs @ a couple hundred over 100K miles on the clock. Bought the car used with over 77K miles and didn't think of checking on this. So, two cylinders (5 & 6) were pretty much flooded with oil. Looking for Valve/Rocker covers now. Riverside Infiniti should start a group buy for these things. Bythabay, you wanna help a brotha out when I'll get all the parts?
I'm up in Pleasant Hill.
hit 'em up... if the price is right, I'm in for a pair.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I found this and purchased a set along with new valve cover gaskets. Going to swap mine out next week. Beats paying 500 bucks for unnecessary new valve covers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Old 03-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mrG3FIZZO
I found this and purchased a set along with new valve cover gaskets. Going to swap mine out next week. Beats paying 500 bucks for unnecessary new valve covers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Keep us updated. Last I heard, you have to DRILL OUT the old ones before you can stick those in...

The VQ valve-covers have the Oil seals built in. Meaning, it's molded onto the valve-cover. Which is why the valve-cover has to be replaced.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!