G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Acceleration is too slow (8 sec 0-60 mph)! why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Not surprised. I drove a few loaners and even the G37 sedans. Both cars have HORRIBLE acceleration lag.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry for the very newb question, but what is a power brake launch and how do you do it?

Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 PM
well, i guess ill throw in my 2 cents, as worthless as it may be to most.

Everyone is stuck on launches, VDC, and loads, and the fact that its a 5AT. all of this stuff is a factor. but not the most important ones.

Number 1:
The fact that you live in russia tells me that your intake air charge isnt going to be optimal, prolly not even good. You want a cold, dense charge of air entering your intake. so you want about 25% humidity and about 55-60 degrees. for those of you that think weather cant make that big of a difference, drive your car hard in 80-90 degree weather and then again in 50 degree weather. you will see a 1.5-2.5 sec difference just because of intake air charge.

Number 2:
no 2 engines run the same. so inquiring on others times is irrelevent. It may put you in a ballpark, but nowhere close to anything actual unless you are lucky.

Number 3:
I would look at my fuel trims on a scan tool. You are dealing with an adaptive learning OBDII system. if you arent pushing your car to the limits 75% of the time, you will get what us technicians call "driveability lag". the ECU adapts to your normal or common driving style. the best thing to do is dyno tune the car. i have seen 20hp gains from a stock car just by electronically unlocking your cars full potential. bear in mind also that you are dealing with a "drive by wire" car. so throttle response is electronically controlled instead of cable controlled. this combined with this basic function of drive by wire systems: WOT at the pedal is equal to 50% open at the throttle body followed by a somewhat slow opening to 85%. there is no snap of the throttle with a drive by wire system.

In my professional opinion, your car is slower than advertised. i would look into the basics first I.E. check the way the engine breathes. make sure all paths are clear. run the high test gas, not the cheap crap. if you cant afford the good gas, you shouldnt have bought the car. you can try a reset, and drive it like you stole it. that will not unlock its full potential, but it will at least learn the entire powerband, not just a partial.

hope this helps

Old 02-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by the evil i
sorry for the very newb question, but what is a power brake launch and how do you do it?

this is when you power brake the car to get your torque converter working, applying torque to the wheels. just before the engine torque overcomes traction, you release the brake for a nice launch

Old 02-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Originally Posted by Lucas
well, i guess ill throw in my 2 cents, as worthless as it may be to most.

Everyone is stuck on launches, VDC, and loads, and the fact that its a 5AT. all of this stuff is a factor. but not the most important ones.

Number 1:
The fact that you live in russia tells me that your intake air charge isnt going to be optimal, prolly not even good. You want a cold, dense charge of air entering your intake. so you want about 25% humidity and about 55-60 degrees. for those of you that think weather cant make that big of a difference, drive your car hard in 80-90 degree weather and then again in 50 degree weather. you will see a 1.5-2.5 sec difference just because of intake air charge.

Number 2:
no 2 engines run the same. so inquiring on others times is irrelevent. It may put you in a ballpark, but nowhere close to anything actual unless you are lucky.

Number 3:
I would look at my fuel trims on a scan tool. You are dealing with an adaptive learning OBDII system. if you arent pushing your car to the limits 75% of the time, you will get what us technicians call "driveability lag". the ECU adapts to your normal or common driving style. the best thing to do is dyno tune the car. i have seen 20hp gains from a stock car just by electronically unlocking your cars full potential. bear in mind also that you are dealing with a "drive by wire" car. so throttle response is electronically controlled instead of cable controlled. this combined with this basic function of drive by wire systems: WOT at the pedal is equal to 50% open at the throttle body followed by a somewhat slow opening to 85%. there is no snap of the throttle with a drive by wire system.

In my professional opinion, your car is slower than advertised. i would look into the basics first I.E. check the way the engine breathes. make sure all paths are clear. run the high test gas, not the cheap crap. if you cant afford the good gas, you shouldnt have bought the car. you can try a reset, and drive it like you stole it. that will not unlock its full potential, but it will at least learn the entire powerband, not just a partial.

hope this helps
just wondering... where do you get your "professional opinion"?

the things you mention are pretty interesting, especially about how it learns driver behavior. basically you're saying, push your car to the limits every now and then otherwise it becomes slow?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^These cars have relearning ECU's which adjusts automatically to the way the car is driven, that is why people will always suggest to reset the ECU.
Originally Posted by the evil i
Keeping the brakes engaged while stepping on the gas, it allows you to raise the RPM's for a launch.

Old thread.........

Last edited by herrschaft; 02-06-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
U my friend need TUWBO!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Engines from the factory have similiar hp numbers but not always the same. Some can actually have more and others less. Thats why its the suggested hp number.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 PM
JBF
Received 686 Likes on 365 Posts
why did a thread from 2008 get bumped?

Old 02-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnnys_Beast_Foo
why did a thread from 2008 get bumped?
Because you would have told the guy who bumped the thread to search...

Old 02-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^The person who bumped the thread was not looking for an answer

Old 02-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by gAndrew
just wondering... where do you get your "professional opinion"?

the things you mention are pretty interesting, especially about how it learns driver behavior. basically you're saying, push your car to the limits every now and then otherwise it becomes slow?

my professional opinion comes from a 4 year college degree in applied sciences of automotive technology, master ASE certification, and about 10 years experience in the field.

to answer your question, yes, you need to push it to the limits so it doesnt "forget" about the ranges outside of your normal everyday driving. its called adaptive learning computer logic. it doesnt mean that when you go WOT that the car wont respond, it just means that it wont respond like you think it will because it hasnt learned the parameters for that throttle position. it uses the default settings programmed in from the factory, which are set based on a new engine, and not adjusted for engine wear.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 PM
JBF
Received 686 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
Because you would have told the guy who bumped the thread to search...
he was asking wtf a power brake was...lol

come on...be srs

Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Lucas
my professional opinion comes from a 4 year college degree in applied sciences of automotive technology, master ASE certification, and about 10 years experience in the field.

to answer your question, yes, you need to push it to the limits so it doesnt "forget" about the ranges outside of your normal everyday driving. its called adaptive learning computer logic. it doesnt mean that when you go WOT that the car wont respond, it just means that it wont respond like you think it will because it hasnt learned the parameters for that throttle position. it uses the default settings programmed in from the factory, which are set based on a new engine, and not adjusted for engine wear.
how often would you recommend doing so (pushing it to it's limits) - so that it doesn't "forget"?

Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 PM
its just not 2fast 2furious enough.

Go get a dyno to see what your working with. That will solve all your worries when you realize your only pushing 200 ponies.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Acceleration is too slow (8 sec 0-60 mph)! why?