G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by helalo
hi whats the difference between a resonated g35 and a straight piped one ? besides that a straight is louder. also, id like to spend around 400$-500$ to make the car sound better. i thought of maybe test pipes and a y-pipe (resonated?) with a catback burnt tip. what do you guys recommend ? i saw a lot of products on ebay but i dont know if they are quality parts or if they are worse than the stock parts. is a resonator delete same as a straight pipe ? will removing the resonator be good or bad ? whats the best way to spend my money
save to about $600-$700 and pick up someone's used exhaust on here. Forget HFC or y pipes
Just get a full exhaust and don't buy eBay chit

Old 12-13-2014, 02:51 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by g_suss
Longtube heaheaders, high flow cats and straight pipe that b!tch the rest of the way
I'm trying to figure out how long tube headers and HFCs would work together since most long tube headers I can think of eliminate the cats altogether.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:18 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by dofu
I'm trying to figure out how long tube headers and HFCs would work together since most long tube headers I can think of eliminate the cats altogether.
yeah that befuddles me as well.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,029 Likes on 946 Posts
A set of work emotion 19x9 +20 just went up for sale if anyone is interested.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just bought a set of front and rear R1Concepts ELine slotted rotors and front and rear Akembo Pro-Act brake pads!
I'm saving up for a full exhaust kit now but I was wondering if there was anything I could easily do that would improve how my car sounds until then. This would only be temporary. I heard about exhaust delete, or adding washers but it sounds kind of iffy to me. I also heard that removing the resonator would make the car drone like a b%%%% so I kind of need some input. I would want to have it a bit louder and raspier than stock but then again cops are going to be a pain in the a$$ as well if it is way too loud.
Also, in terms of looks should I be getting coilovers first or a set of rims (def not getting cheap stuff)

Last edited by G35Tdot; 12-15-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:42 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Tdot
Just bought a set of front and rear R1Concepts ELine slotted rotors and front and rear Akembo Pro-Act brake pads!
I'm saving up for a full exhaust kit now but I was wondering if there was anything I could easily do that would improve how my car sounds until then. This would only be temporary. I heard about exhaust delete, or adding washers but it sounds kind of iffy to me. I also heard that removing the resonator would make the car drone like a b%%%% so I kind of need some input. I would want to have it a bit louder and raspier than stock but then again cops are going to be a pain in the a$$ as well if it is way too loud.
Also, in terms of looks should I be getting coilovers first or a set of rims (def not getting cheap stuff)
First, how low do you plan on going? Coilovers aren't always the best choice for the money. If you want a modest drop (1-1.5") springs and some decent shocks are fine and way cheaper. Plus COs are for women.

For the exhaust, just get a good aftermarket performance replacement muffler like a magnaflow or something and delete the resonator. Intake mods also affect sound, so a z-tube, free flowing filter and plenum spacer help smooth out and amplify the sound.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
First, how low do you plan on going? Coilovers aren't always the best choice for the money. If you want a modest drop (1-1.5") springs and some decent shocks are fine and way cheaper. Plus COs are for women.

For the exhaust, just get a good aftermarket performance replacement muffler like a magnaflow or something and delete the resonator. Intake mods also affect sound, so a z-tube, free flowing filter and plenum spacer help smooth out and amplify the sound.
Just wanted to add my 2cents, you can also pick yourself up a g37 y-pipe to help out with the exhaust note

Old 12-15-2014, 03:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock

I wasn't planning to go extremely low, I just wanted less of a wheel gap so I guess a 1-1.5 inch drop like you said. I'm going to start looking into springs thanks!
As for my exhaust, I think I'm just going to wait until I have enough saved up to do it all at once. Either that or I am just going to do an exhaust delete and have someone weld a spare set of stock tips on so that way I would be able to switch back with ease if it is too loud. The exhaust delete would only be until I have enough saved up for a proper exhaust

Old 12-15-2014, 10:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kernel
We've had quite a few of these lately by people who have gotten bitten by the mod bug or are new owners.

So, if you've got general questions about what mods you should get next, post them up here. For questions about specific mods, please see the tech area.
I've had my 06 coupe for a couple years now and am looking to start some basic bolt on's for performance. I figured the obvious route is: cold air, exhaust, and headers. I'm just trying to find out what are the best ones to get for the G35?

Old 12-16-2014, 03:18 AM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
Old 12-16-2014, 06:58 AM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Just got my 05 G35 6MT a couple of months ago. Fully stock except for aftermarket headlights.

I'm looking to change from the OEM Ray rims to a set similar to the red car on the top of the page. Here's another pic (is this from a member here?)

Name:  SSL11554800.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  92.1 KB

I found the 19" wheel set for like $473 shipped on ebay which is a fantastic deal. I'll probably swap out the current tires to save money since they have less than 1k miles on them.

Planning to get the front lip spoiler next..

Old 12-16-2014, 07:24 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Justice06RR
Just got my 05 G35 6MT a couple of months ago. Fully stock except for aftermarket headlights. I'm looking to change from the OEM Ray rims to a set similar to the red car on the top of the page. Here's another pic (is this from a member here?) I found the 19" wheel set for like $473 shipped on ebay which is a fantastic deal. I'll probably swap out the current tires to save money since they have less than 1k miles on them. Planning to get the front lip spoiler next..
what are you asking?
You found what 19" wheel set on eBay?

Old 12-16-2014, 08:13 AM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
what are you asking?
You found what 19" wheel set on eBay?
Wasn't a question, but a statement.

But since you brought it up, would you guys recommend going with a 20" set instead? Would that look better?

I don't plan to lower the car yet, at least not for a little while.

These are the rims from ebay. I think they'll look nice, but I'm not certain if I should go up to 20's instead. If I do, I will also have to buy new tires (more $$)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADR-DECADENC...-/271682355290

Old 12-16-2014, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,029 Likes on 946 Posts
Wasn't a question, but a statement. But since you brought it up, would you guys recommend going with a 20" set instead? Would that look better? I don't plan to lower the car yet, at least not for a little while. These are the rims from ebay. I think they'll look nice, but I'm not certain if I should go up to 20's instead. If I do, I will also have to buy new tires (more $$) http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADR-DECADENC...-/271682355290
No.

These offset make this wheel sit in the fender like sedan wheels on a coupe. See this thread for what these will look like (compare to oem): http://run-it-hard.com/2012/07/new-s...ht-from-japan/

Get wheels with offsets in the +12mm (semi aggressive) to 30mm (OEM) range. Use tire rack to fit to your car.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Banned
Wasn't a question, but a statement. But since you brought it up, would you guys recommend going with a 20" set instead? Would that look better? I don't plan to lower the car yet, at least not for a little while. These are the rims from ebay. I think they'll look nice, but I'm not certain if I should go up to 20's instead. If I do, I will also have to buy new tires (more $$) http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADR-DECADENC...-/271682355290
dont buy those
Your OEM rays are made WAY better
Look around and you can find a bunch of great quality wheels with tires for about $1500

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread