G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats up guys, quick question i hear 2 different things but maybe its just worded differently but are the uprev flash and mrev2 the same thing or different?

Old 09-04-2009, 02:52 AM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
completely different.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i say

suspension
wheels
power
body kit

and somewhere in between, tint and shift ****. i believe shift **** is one of the most important parts of a car because it's the part that you're always using (touching). if you like oem, keep it. but if not, look for that one that is perfect for you. i wouldn't mind spending $150 on those titanium ones.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats the difference between them?

Old 09-04-2009, 05:11 PM
^ Uprev flash is an engine management system that reflashes your ECU. The MREV2 is the lower plenum in the engine. Completely different.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Hey guys I have a few questions about some mod upgrades I'm looking at getting. I've read about 28 pages of this thread already and done some extensive research, but still need some clarification.

I have a 05' OS A/T coupe fully loaded besides Nav, already put a Stillen Hi-Flow intake with a Z-tube and 5/16" spacer in it and loving it. I'm still looking to improve performance, but also ready to make my car stand out from stock a little bit. I'm on a budget of around $1000-1500 more or less. This is what I'm looking at.

Exterior
Clearcorners - I'm ready to get rid of those ugly yellow side lights, but the lights on clearcorners.com are around 250-350. I saw the website you guys mentioned http://www.v-leds.com/. I'm guessing I can just buy the led and put it in a clear side marker? I have the Xenon headlights so I'm loving the headlamp but the vertical light lamp next to the main headlamp looks bad next to that bright Xenon. I'm guessing there's no way to replace that without replacing the whole headlight? Are the clearcorner headlamps on clearcorners.com better than the Xenon? If so, I was hoping I could sell the Xenon to make some of the price. Can I just buy LED lights and start popping them in my stock lights around the car?

Grill - need some good recommendations.

Engine
Want to make my engine bay a little more stylish. Thinking a new engine cover...strut tower brace? Need some help with this one.
- Grounding kit - I've heard great things about grounding kits. Heard mediocre responses from Stillen's, but really good things about GroundingGear. I'll probably end up getting that one.
- New Spark Plugs - How important is this? What kind of gains/losses can i except?

Exhaust
- Still riding on stock exhaust, love the sound but I'd love to upgrade to a Dual Catback. I've been looking at Stillens, HKS, and Fast Intentions. I love Fast intentions b/c I've heard it's not too loud at idle but makes some beautiful music when you push it. I'm not looking for something obnoxious but I want to hear it. Stillen is having a sale right now for $1049 single wall, $1265 dual wall (I like dual wall), but I also saw the add for Fast Intentions sale for $1075 HKS is running too expensive for me at the moment at around $1500 on the web.
- HFC's - Are these street legal and how worth it are they?

Suspension/Wheels
- If I get some new wheels I'd like to drop my car about 1"-1.5" but I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this. Suspension is what I know least about. I've heard of coilovers?
- Sway bars? I'd love some improvement on handling, but I don't want to be flying in the air every time I hit a speed bump.

Misc\
- I've heard hp gains of around 20 or so with a tune. I live in Atlanta GA does anyone know a good place to go once I bolt on some more mods? What can i expect this to do for me? How $$ is it?

*A big question I have here about all of these mods is what is the best way to go about getting these, especially the pricey ones. Can I sell my stock parts or do you guys recommend keeping them? Should I buy used, new...I want quality but I'd like to save some money which would allow me to get more. Can I make up some of this money buy selling stock parts and if I can where's a good place?

Thanks a lot for taking a look.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:24 PM
^ Alright I'll go for it.

I'm not good with wiring and electrical work so I won't comment on the lights. But here is a thread if you want to do the clear corners yourself.

https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...rker-mode.html

For the grille you can get the emblem-less grille by Ionic, the gialla grille, or you could paint it.

Check out the thread below for ideas on the engine bay (seeing you have been here for over a year, you have probably seen this thread). Get the grounding wires, it will make the engine bay look better and since your AT you will get a better response in manual mode.

https://g35driver.com/forums/picture...post-here.html

The HFC's are worth it. It gives the car a deeper tone and I noticed a better response when accelerating. The Fast Intentions thread that you posted is for the 07+ sedans, just make sure you don't order the wrong one.

For suspension, you could get coilovers, but if you are on a budget you can tein 350z s-tech springs. If you go the coilover route, there are many options out there you just need to do your research as to what best fits you. Sway bars will significantly increase your handling (my next mod). Also, if you drop your car more than 1" it is recommended that you get a camber kit for the front and back to avoid eating the inside of your tires.

In GA you have Forged Performance, which specializes on our cars.

Everything is up to you. Your on the right track.

Last edited by DRG35MIA; 09-04-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Premier Member

I would definitely say Fast Intentions over Stillen exhaust any day. I know people who have Stillen and it doesn't even compare
If you're interested in it the best way would be to just call Tony at FI and talk with him directly, he's a real solid guy and will help you out.

Also there's no real point selling your stock parts, you won't get hardly anything for them and if you ever decide to sell the car in the future you can part out the aftermarket stuff for more $.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Mods?

I just got an 07 coupe with the sport package.
I was wondering what you guys think about these mods...

Window tint 40% front, 30% rear (darkest legal in my state)

smoked out tail lights

short ram air intake (recommendations please, i think i like stillen the best so far but if any one knows one that has a better sound let me know)

resonator delete (yes? no?)

when is the best time to get this stuff installed? would you recommend doing any of this stuff in the winter.

Last edited by Reaper XI; 09-04-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey everybody, this is my first post here on G35driver! I just got my first nice, kinda fast car.... Went with a white G35 coupe and I love it! My plan is to create a clean looking G with some extra horses to get me goin. I have already tinted the windows at 5% and put a nice system in the trunk; one Rockford Fosgate P2D412 with a P300-1 (who needs trunk space anyway?) with a custom 2 piece box, it looks sick IMO. But anyway the real reason for this post involves the next stage of my car modifications. I plan on painting the mirrors and top of the car black to go with the windows for the exterior, but that’s after some performance parts. I will be receiving a check for between $2500-$4000 within the next 2 weeks and am trying to plan which parts to buy. I will be keeping the car NA, and do not feel like messing around with internals. So I assume the best way for me to make good gains in hp and torque would be found in upgrading the intake/exhaust. Im looking for the most bang for the buck and want to spend between $2-3k. My current planning would be as follows, but advice on changing my set-up to end up with larger power gains/performance/sound is what Im asking for.
Current thoughts on the combo to get what I want….

G35 Motordyne MREV 2 Manifold TM - $ 439.00
G35 Motordyne 5/16" Basic Plenum spacer - $ 230.00 (would adding the plenum spacer be worth the $ for the hp gains?)
Berk Nissan 350Z/ Infiniti G35 03-06 Aluminum Suction Pipe aka Z-Tube - $135
K&N Direct Replacement Air Filter Element G35 - $59.00
AAM Spec 3 in. MaxFlow True Dual Exhaust Infiniti G35 Coupe - $1375.00
JVT Racing Test Pipes Nissan 350Z / Infiniti G35 Coupe - $153.00
Agency Power 3pc Underdriven Pulley Kit Nissan 350Z G35 Z33 - $285.00

Total - $2676

What do yall think of my plans? Also, if you feel one of the products is not made to the same standards as the same part from another company feel free to comment. (ie the AAM Exhaust, if you know that there is another exhaust around the same price or cheaper with same/better performance let me know )

Old 09-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Premier Member

Is your car a 6mt with the REV-UP motor? If so you definitely need the MREV2, otherwise just the spacer.

Get an OEM nissan Z-tube (of a 350z) instead of the Berk intake. They're cheap.
Are you sure you want test pipes? They're gonna be raspy and smelly NA, and you'll get almost the same performance boost from High Flow Cats.

I personally like Fast Intentions exhaust, lots of people like HKS as well, but there is absolutely no reason to go 3". That's just overkill; stick with 2.5".

Forget the underdrive pulleys. There's no solid proof that they actually help and there are reports that they cause some problems down the road.

After that get it tuned by Uprev with Osiris.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Nah, its a 2005 with the 5AT. So i guess you would say not to add the MREV and just go with the 1/2" spacer. I want the test pipes mainly cause high flow cats are so expensive and dont care about the smell (if i went with resonated test pipes how much less raspy would they actually sound when coupled with a new exhaust. Haha so a 3" wouldnt actually make that much difference over a 2.5"? I just chose the Berk cause it was polished and would look good.

And yeah I figured Id have to get a tune after changing that much.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Premier Member

1/2" spacer will only give you more gains with a proper tune, but how much is debatable and you'll lose some HP until you get tuned compared to the 5/16".
If you get test pipes definitely go with resonated. For the slight price increase you get all the performance and a lot less of the unpleasant side effects. Unless you're going to boost of course.
3" exhaust will not only not give you any extra gains over a true dual 2.5" (which is a huge improvement over the stock) but will just make it sound loud and ricey. I'm getting twin turbos put in as we speak and I'm still using the 2.5" exhaust. 3" is only a good idea for big HP numbers, like 450+.

If you like the shiney z-tube, go for it Personally I don't care what it looks like as long as its functional
There are tons of options, from shiney to carbon fiber to who knows what. Get what you like

And a grounding kit is a really good idea for an A/T. I've heard it helps the shifting a lot

Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts
I can testify for the grounding kit.. Really gets rid of the lag and jerk of manumatic mode.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:42 PM
no stuff during the winter wait a lil after if would be better. i think that a CAI intake like injen or stillen are better. well that me. what color is your G?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread