G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

SCCA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCCA

For all of you out there who don't know, SCCA stands for Sports Car Club of America. Basically, I just wanted to know if anyone has raced their G in a Solo II event and if so, how did it compare to the competition? There are some races coming up in the next couple of months and was debating taking mine when it arrives.

Sorry everyone, accidentally posted this already in the Northeast forum but wanted to everyone's feedback.

Bozz
6MT Laser Red w/ prem.

Old 03-26-2003, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: SCCA

I'm taking my sedan to Solo2 in San Diego this Sunday. Of course, it'll be my first time, so I imagine it'll be more a question of how well I do rather than how well the car does.

I've heard that because we can't fully-disable the VDC, it hurts the car's ability to do autocross racing.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 03-26-2003, 06:16 PM

just pull the fuse for the VDC out. You can do without ABS and VDC right?

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem

Old 03-26-2003, 07:34 PM

I'd rather not be pulling fuses.

Old 03-26-2003, 08:43 PM

I'm jealous to hear that. Mine G won't be until May. Let me know how it goes.

Bozz
6MT Laser Red w/ prem.

Old 03-31-2003, 12:24 PM

Well, my first day of Solo2 came and went. I have to say it was a blast! I've played at those Malibu Grand Prix tracks before, but that doesn't even come close to this.

I didn't pull the fuse, I just pushed the VDC Off button. Being a Novice, I had an instructor ride along for my first two runs to help me out. My times were 77.648, 70.816, 69.068 for the ones that counted. Then fun runs were 69.868, 67.882, 67.303. The first run was slow, as I've never really pushed my car before and wasn't sure of it or the course. I didn't hit any cones (yippee!). Of course, I've got plenty of learning to do.. I need some practice on picking the right line to follow, and then some more practice on making the car stay on the line I pick.

A friend of mine came along in his Pontiac Fiero GT. His first day too. He spun out on turn three his first time through (there's a nasty dip in the lot right before the turn), but did great on his other 5 runs. We both did about the same on times (he got 80 seconds on the first run, even with the spin-out), jumping ahead of each other on the next run. I came out ahead by about 0.1 in the end. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] We rode with each other on the last couple of fun runs. Very different cars. The Fiero corners on rails and can take turns faster than the G35, but once the back end does start to come lose, the car tends to lose it. The G35 pulls harder out of the corners and the back end feels like it can drift around a little without losing control. It feels to me like it might be able to drift if I can get myself good enough to control it.

RaySur350GT was there in his G35 coupe, as well. We were the only two Infiniti's to make a showing. If anyone else shows up at Solo2, you should know that the Sedan is class DS, the coupe is class BS. The local club that was running the races today didn't have the updated booklet, and our cars weren't listed.

If anyone's interested, I did this with the OEM Bridgestone Turanzas. They held on pretty good, but I've never driven on summer tires. When these finally wear out, I'll probably put some summer performance rubber on and see what happens.

Whatever portion of the VDC they say can't be disabled didn't, as far as I can tell, did not interfere with my fun today. The car pulled hard out of tight corners and was more than happy to let the back end wag around. I have the auto tranny, and it didn't pose any problems, either. You basically run the whole course in second gear. I just stick it in 2M at the starting line, and once it gets into second, it stays there for the whole course -- there's not a straight long enough to redline in 2nd.

A very fun day. I recommend it to anyone who wants to see what their car can do. I'll be hitting every event I can this year.

Old 03-31-2003, 02:39 PM

there wasnt even enough room to launch from the starting line in first? Or were the turnsj ust comming to soon it was just easier to stay in second?

Marcel

G35C 6 MT
Volk GTC 19'x8.5' front; 19'x9.5' rear
Dunlop Sport 9000 245/35/19 front; 275/35/19 rear

Old 03-31-2003, 03:01 PM

The sedan's auto will start in first and shift up to second.. the number you pick is the top-gear. So, putting it in 2M, it starts in first and shifts up to second on it's own. I probably could have started in 1M and kicked it up, but the first turn was pretty tight and came up pretty quick.. so there's plenty to pay attention to without worrying about that extra shift. My buddy with the Fiero had a 5-speed manual, and he went to second just as he went into the first turn, and left it in 2nd for the whole course, as well. For most of the cars out there, this course was a 2nd-gear course.