G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Jim Coleman and Infiniti have declined warranty repairs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Good luck! I am really hoping this works out for you.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks bro, me too! Raj, how's your progress coming? Maybe we should all get together once this thing passes over and grab a few beers!

Old 07-20-2009, 03:23 PM
G15
Damn I'm sorry this has all happened to you, its such a horror story! Hopefully in the end it will all work out, like instead of sending you a g35 motor they will accidently send you a gt-r engine and a local body shop will install it for free with the desire of having the dubious distinction of being related to the first g with a gt-r motor. you'll be on the cover of car and driver, champagne will fall from the skies, ahhh.

Or JC will just reimburse you for all of your costs, that would be cool too.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by G356MTBB
Thanks bro, me too! Raj, how's your progress coming? Maybe we should all get together once this thing passes over and grab a few beers!
Good luck man. This process is such a pain. Right now i am anxiously waiting for BBB to give me a call.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
How many days did it take for BBB to contact you after you filed the complaint with them?

Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Crazy storey!!
This is exactly what Inifiniti CAnada told me about my car. That the Aftermarket headers caused the issue with my motor and denied my warranty claim.
Time to pull out your wallet and go F/I

I can't believe what I'm hearing from Infiniti.

Here is the long story:

2005 G35 6MT VQ35DE

Bought new from Jim Coleman Infiniti
Car has been serviced by Jim Coleman since new. Car now has 31k miles on it.

I brought the car in for an oil consumption issue when I noticed the car was down about a quart of oil back in October of 2008. The dealership took measurements and told me I would have to bring the car back after 1000 miles so they could take another measurement. The car is not driven but on nice days so obviously me being on the east coast the car wasn't driven that much. In May of 2009 I brought the car back again showing signs of oil consumption and this was prior to 1000 miles. The car was inspected again by the dealership and they went through their "72 point" inspection or whatever and I picked the car up. A few days later I'm driving the car on a nice weekend and the car goes from sounding like a G35 to sounding like a Suburu. I have to have the car towed back to my house. I run the codes and #3 cylinder is misfiring. I have the car towed to the dealership, of course checking the oil to see that the car consumed oil again with less than 100 miles on it!

My immediate assumption is the #3 cylinder is full of oil. Dealership pulls the #3 plug and calls to tell me it's bent/destroyed with no signs of oil. They tell me that they need to call the Infiniti rep to come out and take a look and tell them what to do next. The dealership takes their sweet time claiming issues with techs, etc. but I'm patient (VERY patient). Three weeks later (yes 3) the dealership calls and tells me Infiniti will not authorize a tear down because I have too many mods to the engine (you can see in my signature line what I have, try not to laugh). I then have to contact Infiniti Consumer Affairs (ha ha) and tell them that they are full of it and site the Magnusen-Moss act to them... They then agree that if I agree to pay for the teardown if they find it's not warrantable. So, what am I going to do right? I agree but only under the condition that the teardown will take no more than 3 hours and I will be billed the Infiniti rate and not their full rate. Jim Coleman Infiniti agrees and two more weeks pass. Finally they get the engine torn down and find that the piston is damaged. The Service Rep tells me that he has to take pictures and will send them to the Infiniti Rep but it looks like it's been overreved to him. A day passes and I get the excuse of my camera won't work etc. SO I go out there myself and take the pictures. My engine is torn down and pieces of my car are everywhere. I look at the engine and the spark plug looks untouched, still torqued and is NOT damaged.. hmmm looking at Cylinder 1 and it looks like a brand new plug.... I take a picture to document that.... A piece of the piston is missing down to the ring. I spend time emailing him the pictures so he can do his job and send it to his "rep". I wait another week. Now they've had my car for close to 7, yes SEVEN weeks for this. I get a call from the dealer who says that the rep has made a ruling stating that the damage was caused by the aftermarket exhaust and that Infiniti spends millions of dollars on R&D to determine the best parts for the car (this is where I almost puke) and that they THINK the exhaust caused back pressure on the exhaust valve and caused the engine to overrev. THEREFORE they are denying all warranty repairs. I call Consumer Affairs for Infiniti who tells my I'm SOL and to contact the BBB if I have further complaints.

I'm sitting here typing this in disbelief. First, how can an exhaust cause an overrev? As I understand it, an overrev is caused by the engine being forced to spin at RPMs from the crankshaft due to outside forces such as shifting at high RPMs to a lower gear or as some have called it the "Money Shift".

I don't see how the exhaust could cause this.... So I have contacted HKS to let them know that they are to blame by Infiniti, in other words they are throwing HKS under the bus... I'm sure HKS will be very pleased to hear this.

I am in the process of filing a complaint with the BBB Auto division and plan on fighting this to death. Meanwhile I have a car in pieces on the dealership floor that I've been told by Infiniti I need to remove the car in 3 days if I don't want them to do the repairs. This is laughable... I wouldn't let Jim Coleman Infiniti do an engine rebuild.... They couldn't even bleed my brakes! Mind you I have StopTechs but they called me and told me they didn't know how to bleed my brakes... And you want to be my latex salesman... (those that watch Seinfeld know what I'm talking about here).

I've started this thread so that others can comment on the situation and also so that everyone sees what Warranty really means. I will keep updating this with my progress and try to refrain from flaming Infiniti and Jim Coleman Infiniti... I'm sure those of you on this board will do enough of that for me. Meanwhile I want my baby back, I miss it greatly!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this, mostly I'm doing it for therapy....

Old 07-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by RaginRaj11
How many days did it take for BBB to contact you after you filed the complaint with them?
Wow, no it took them like a day to get back to me with confirmation. Did you file the complaint online? I filed my complaint on a Thursday night and by 2:45 the next day they had notified Infiniti. By that Monday I got a call from the BBB rep and then after the misunderstanding I got another call a day after that saying that in 1 -3 business days they would assign a BBB third party tech to write up their diagnosis on the car.

In the meantime I spent about 3 or 4 hours building a powerpoint presentation with all of my documentation and about 6 or 7 attachments and I emailed it to my rep. That was last Thursday night, haven't heard anything...

Old 07-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by G15
Damn I'm sorry this has all happened to you, its such a horror story! Hopefully in the end it will all work out, like instead of sending you a g35 motor they will accidently send you a gt-r engine and a local body shop will install it for free with the desire of having the dubious distinction of being related to the first g with a gt-r motor. you'll be on the cover of car and driver, champagne will fall from the skies, ahhh.

Or JC will just reimburse you for all of your costs, that would be cool too.
Now that is what I'm talking about when I say compensation Altho I'd settle for the latter....

Old 07-20-2009, 05:49 PM
G15
Now that is what I'm talking about when I say compensation Altho I'd settle for the latter....
Haha! Well G owners deserve the best, especially when you arent trying to take advantage or someone and are just getting screwed by some very dishonest people

Old 07-20-2009, 10:41 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Damn, that sucks. Too bad I don't live closer to that dealership to have the pleasure of NOT going there for service or any car purchase.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
... And you want to be my latex salesman... (those that watch Seinfeld know what I'm talking about here). ...
Vandelay industries

Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 PM
I had nothing but bad experiences with Jim Coleman Infiniti. After the second poor experience I never went back, and never will again.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope everything works out....u got the shaft..

Old 07-25-2009, 08:19 AM
UPDATE: BBB Auto Line "Independent" inspector came by the house on Wednesday to inspect the car. Guy had NO idea about G35's and NO idea about the oil consumption issue. The only "tool" (besides himself) that he brought was a camera. He looked at the engine, took pictures, noticed that the #1 plug was brand new and not seated and asked me to take it out so he could get a picture while he chatted on the phone. Then he started taking pictures of all of my mods. AGAIN! WTF!!! He asked what a plenum spacer did.... Then he wanted to see the car, I'm like did the body cause the damage to my engine??? So I showed him my car and he began taking pictures of my 4 point harness, my brakes, etc. Again, can someone tell me how brakes or a harness cause the damage to my engine?!? He then asks me the question that ends all questions and tells me that I'm basically f'd with BBB.... "Is the battery hooked up?" I felt like saying, "Yes, the battery is hooked up, the engine is out of the car, along with the transmission, oh yeah and the S-ton of wires hanging over the engine, yeah that's the wiring harness. BUT THE BATTERY IS HOOKED UP! So go ahead and turn the key man...." On top of this comment he told me that a quart to a quart and a half of oil consumption is "NORMAL". Are you f'ing kidding me?! I've had many cars in my lifetime and I can't tell you of one that lost a quart of oil in between oil changes unless there was something seriously wrong! Yes, engines consume oil OVER TIME but not a quart of oil or in other words approximatly 1/5 of the oil capacity in between ONE OIL CHANGE!

Then the guy started telling me how he inspects cars at Jiffy Lube, etc.. The one thing that he did say that was intelligent is that there are no "true technicians" anymore and that most of them are oil changers... This was in response to my comment surrounding the fact that Infinti has released a TSB documenting the fact that oil consumption is a problem and that Jim Coleman doesn't have qualified technicians to diagnose the problem and they rely on Infiniti as their technical expertise while IOT HAS qualified technicians and have replaced these engines without question.

SO... yesterday I get an email with his inspection report. It states that the engine was not abused, and then the response to the question of OIL CONSUMPTION is no signs. Can you tell me how this MF'r could tell Oil Consumption just by looking at the piston??? He states that there are no carbon deposits... The car has 31k miles on it and gets an oil change every 2500 miles! OF COURSE THERE IS NO CARBON! He then states that the cause of the damage is "lean condition due to unknown cause". I recall reading throughout this site about the fact these cars run lean...

Of course how much fodder is this for Infiniti.... I feel like I've been screwed again and then reminded myself to "follow the money" (Deepthroat).... Who pays for BBB... hmmm... Infiniti.... who pays for the "independent inspector" hmmm... BBB... SEE THE LINK?!

Mike Mahaffey called me about three or four days ago asking where I stood and he agreed with me to let them do there thing and not disturb the engine (Oh, by the way the guy kept asking ME if I changed that spark plug...) and then when you get their response take it from there. I guess my next move is to talk with the Department of Consumer Affairs with Montgomery County... (Follow the money taxpayer). Who I have been told by my best friend who happens to be a MC Police Officer and by Mike Mahaffey that they are bulldogs. I need one of those, actually a ravenous pit bull hungry for the smell of oil on flesh would be great.

On a more positive side, Engine arrives next week from a guy that has been great and knows his stuff with Z's and G's. www.zfever.com... Doug has been great helping me make sure he gets me a good engine that is a drop in. I'm looking forward to finally getting some go back in my G... Try not being able to drive a sports car or coupe for 2 months when the weather is in the 70's and the sun is shining and thats why you bought the car in the first place!

I'll post pictures with the progress and video of the engine start Also, in my next post I'll put up my files so you all can see what absolutey BS this is and the amount of hours/days/weeks/ of my time I've put into fighting this and how far that's gotten me....

I can tell you, I WAS a huge Nissan fan (I have a 79 280ZX that I'm rebuilding) and I WAS a huge fan of the history. I can say this is tainted greatly by the disrespectful treatment I've recieved and how Nissan does NOT stand behind their vehicles and looks for any excuse in the book to deny a warranty. I have two Lexus' on one Lexus replaced the short block of my engine due to a oblong wrist pin in one week without question or problem. Again, dealership is key...

THOSE OF YOU WITH THIS PROBLEM KNOW YOUR DEALERSHIP. NOT ONLY KNOW THEM BUT KNOW HOW THEY DEAL WITH YOUR PARTICULAR ISSUE. KNOW THE TECHNICIANS, YOUR SERVICE MANAGER IS WORTHLESS IF THEY DON'T HAVE QUALIFIED TECHNICIANS. ALL CAR MANUFACTURES LOOK FOR ANY EXCUSE TO DENY WARRANTY ITS YOUR DEALERSHIP THAT MUSCLES YOU THROUGH THE PROCESS.

Unfortunately I learned this the hard way....

Old 07-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
It is horrible to hear man. But it really looks like you are going to be screwed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Jim Coleman and Infiniti have declined warranty repairs