G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

6MT vs 5AT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by myGi$Gangsta
^ i did it for both lol, i was sick of so many AT haters looking in the window to see if is auto or stick, i have limo tint so even if they can barely manage to see inside all they'll see is a boot, but if some1 asks me if is auto or stick i'm not gonna lie and pretend is stick
haha. do you fake the "roll" when ur on a hill by shifting to neutral? I've seen a few that have. You can tell because it isn't as smooth as a real manual car that rolls back then goes forward.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 5AT. I wanted the 6MT. But the deal was better for the 5AT.

Yes I can drive stick ... damn well, too. No I'm not lazy.

I don't give a flying **** what anyone thinks of my transmission. It's MY car dammit. I knew perfectly well going into the contract that I'd be missing out on the joys of shifting, but whatever. It was a good deal. Caribbean blue w/ black interior with everything I could possibly want except for the navi (which I could care less about).

I hate these threads. Too many generalizations are made.

/rant

Last edited by LightningRod; 01-23-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
haha. do you fake the "roll" when ur on a hill by shifting to neutral? I've seen a few that have. You can tell because it isn't as smooth as a real manual car that rolls back then goes forward.
haha i never thought of that but i wouldn't go to that extreme lol some AT drivers here go the extra mile with the MT shift bowl custom dremeled into the center console and an aluminum cover for the foot ebrake to make it look like clutch. I just like the look of a nice shift boot

Old 01-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
now lets see how many more people we can get in here defending a/t and getting butthurt by the end of the day

insecure posts counter ______

Old 01-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
is funny how so many MT g driver's think their car is the shi1t when the MT tranny in the G isnt great at all and the clutch sucks, and alot of this MT owners would probably get smoked at the track by several AT G owners

Old 01-24-2010, 02:16 AM
+1 True that, with the right torque converter & shift kit, AT is the only way to go at the strip, much more consistent launches, never misses a shift & shifts quick. But it does rob more power than the stick, so you gotta make up for that with more go-fast parts

Admittedly, MTs are funner to drive in most cars, however, the G trans just does not drive nice at all, the clutch does suck and the throws are a mile long. Too bad, I totally would have bought one if it shifted even just a little bit better than a$$.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Banned
dragtimes.com says otherwise.

Fastest 6mt:
1/4: 11.712

Fastest 5at:
1/4: 12.634

time-slip avail also..

http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php...arch+DragTimes

---
What about drifting? Has anyone ever attempted to drift in an auto? lol

Old 01-24-2010, 03:36 AM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
^wtf? Did you seriously just post 2 different time slips to 2 different cars with different mods to try to prove that mt cars shift faster than autos?

That 6mt G has has twin turbos with 160 hp and 80 more torque than the 5AT you posted, obviously it's gonna have a better ET . All that proves is that a higher powered car is faster than another.

If you're gonna try to make a point, at least post two cars with similar mods and power.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by eurodre
now lets see how many more people we can get in here defending a/t and getting butthurt by the end of the day

insecure posts counter ______

You really do sound like you haven't grown up yet. Some people have reasons for not getting a 6MT, do you get off on making fun of people with AT?

Old 01-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
^^you missed the point completely, now go back and rear carefully what i said, i wasn't making fun of people who got a/t

i was talking about the people who FEEL the need to defend what transmission they got because somehow they read something in here that got them all butthurt

Old 01-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the auto. Yes, I can drive stick but I didn't care for the one I test drove. So I got the automatic

and I have drifted it. Its ... sort of more like *** dragging but I've only had the car for a couple of months. Give it some time, I'll have it perfected

Old 01-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Figure out how much and where you will be driving your car and, there's your answer. I hadn't had a stick car in over a decade. I would never, ever recommend a stick as a daily driver. Driving a stick in traffic every so often is no big burden. Who cares what other thibk about your car if it's a stick or an auto? Are they going to pay for the car, I don't think so.
FYI, I still own an auto as my DD and I left my G for weekends. I can't imagine owning this car in an auto, rather get a sedan.
Test drive them both and go from there. GL with your purchase.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by fastkat
I got the auto. Yes, I can drive stick but I didn't care for the one I test drove. So I got the automatic

and I have drifted it. Its ... sort of more like *** dragging but I've only had the car for a couple of months. Give it some time, I'll have it perfected
this i gotta see

Old 01-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Banned
Like I stated previously, fast or not, a manual car is more fun. Ever been on a canyon run with a few friends? 5+ cars cruising and just hugging the curves?

Not much fun in an automatic.

And the traffic excuse is getting old. You know UPS drivers, and other big rigs drive manuals? And they drive a lot more than we do. Even the USPS trucks are manual. And they go thru lots of stop and go traffic.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:56 PM
IMO i would still consider the G35 a semi luxury vehicle. Compared to most vehicles its considered it. Obviously compared to a 7 series BMW or 5/6 class benz it isnt.

Anyways, ive always had MT untill i got the G. I wanted an auto, its easier to drive slow and honestly, sometimes i get sick of driving manual, as much fun as it is, sometimes i have my lazy days where i perfer driving auto. In my MT car, i rarely drive the speed limit, in the G im perfectly fine doing the speed limit.

Test drive both, see what you like. IMO the auto G's arent bad, ive driven much much worse. My manager has a Z with the VB upgrade and i must admit it is damn fun,

for all you guys ragging on the 5AT just be happy its not a CVT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6MT vs 5AT