G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

6MT vs 5AT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 04:09 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by 2K6G35c
However, as a DD anythig but the 5AT would absolutely suck.
I have daily driven my 6mt g from the day i got it and it hasn't sucked in the least bit. I'm sure there are many others like me that feel the same exact way. Traffic is not something to really complain about why you would get a 5at over a 6mt, it's not traffic that's annoying, only certain drivers who drive in such a way that letting you roll in or out of gear is nearly impossible that are sometimes annoying.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Drowe303
There are a lot of AT's because they get used and passed on by the average man/women who has no interest in cars what so ever.
there's a lot of AT's cause only about 1 in 10 G's are MT

Old 01-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't mean for it to sound like every AT driver is like that. Just a lot of them. And I guarantee that half the AT drivers on this site are either young teenagers, or people who know nothing about cars but heard the G35 was "cool".
For those of us who bought these cars new....70% bought 5 ATs. According to Infiniti the % of G37s purchased with 6 MT is even lower. Infiniti knows this fact well. In fact the G37 coupe, with the introduction of the convertible, is significantly marketed towards professional women in their mid 30s and older. How many of those women even know how to drive a manual?? 1-2%.

I have to commute rush hours in Chicago where 1.5 million drivers hit area expressways and tollways to get into the city each day. As a trial lawyer driving fatigue is the last thing I need before I get ready to start a 3 hour hearing standing on my feet the entire duration.

I got into the G35 coming from an E36 M3 (5 MT) which I bought new, which replaced a Taurus SHO (1990 5 MT) which I had bought new before that and a Mustang GT 5.0 (1986 - 5 MT). That totals 16 years of driving manual with a clutch and nearly 200,000 miles.

On top of that I own a home in Greece which I visit 3 weeks every summer and I always rent MT cars.

Even my folks, who are in their 70s know how to drive MT... my Mom taught me when I was a teen. For convenience and simplicity they simply choose to drive AT cars.

In Europe where cars have low torque engines and there are high engine displacement taxes... we have no choice but to drive 5 or 6 MTs. Yet even in Europe MTs are slowly becoming replaced by CVTs.

Large displacement - high torque engines are available so cheaply in the US. Traffic congestion in cities with populations greater than many states - 8 million here in metro Chicago - isn't a product of bad drivers. It's a product of road planning that was for a day when the metro areas had 1/5 of the current population. And poor high-speed urban mass transit in the US which we are all now clamoring for. Outside of NYC and Chicago less than 15% of commuters use public transit in US cities. In most European cities that figure jumps to 60%.

If I lived in Wyoming, Montana or Texas I could probably live with a 6 MT.

But I don't think anyone can mock those of us who approaching or mid life driving years who want to drive their sporty coupe with a bit less stress. First try mocking the guy who buys a 600 hp Bentley GTC Supersport for getting a $300,000 car with an AT.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:28 AM

Old 01-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
only certain drivers who drive in such a way that letting you roll in or out of gear is nearly impossible that are sometimes annoying.
Then you would love the traffic in San Diego. The two major routes: 2 four lane highways blocked twice a day. Add rain on top of that,

I didn't mean for it to sound like every AT driver is like that. Just a lot of them. And I guarantee that half the AT drivers on this site are either young teenagers, or people who know nothing about cars but heard the G35 was "cool".
Its all good.

Despite my intentions, I'm sure my post will **** a lot of people off.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Good grief this topic gets old. It's been beaten to death over the years here. Why should anyone need to justify why they chose the transmission that they did???? People get what suits their needs and their lifestyle! There is NO wrong choice folks.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Guys thanks for all the opinions, and like others have said, just get what you will enjoy. I think i will enjoy the 6mt so i'm going to shoot for that. If i have to wait for a while to get a good deal on it i will.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Good grief this topic gets old. It's been beaten to death over the years here. Why should anyone need to justify why they chose the transmission that they did???? People get what suits their needs and their lifestyle! There is NO wrong choice folks.
Agreed, I drove automatic when I was commuting to school and work everyday on the DC beltway, now that I live 2 blocks away from school and don't have to drive except when I want to, I got a manual transmission. And I wouldn't hesitate to go back to automatic if my situation changed.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
I forgot what this thread was all about, now that I'm back on track:

The automatic is not a bad transmission at all and I intend to keep it.
I think it needs another gear because it revs to high at highway speed.
Nonetheless, its still fairly sporty.

The rev-up motor that comes with the manuals has slightly more power and responds better to mods. And yes, sticks are more fun to drive.

If you plan on doing a lot of performance mods than get the manual because its cheaper and easier.

auto=comfortable and ease of driving
manual=more performance and more fun

Old 01-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Then you would love the traffic in San Diego. The two major routes: 2 four lane highways blocked twice a day. Add rain on top of that,
I've driven in conditions like that all the time and it's not the traffic that is the problem like I said. The majority of the time you can control your pace so you don't have to be speeding up and stomping on the brakes while also not having people cut in front of you, you learn what to do with experience and it isn't problematic.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
What is your right hand and left foot doing that you can't use it when driving?

If your right feet is able to punch the gas and hit the brakes, why can't your left foot be used to hit the clutch?

I relax all the time when the car is in neutral. In the 5at, you have to constantly press on the brakes.

So for me, I have no issues in stop and go traffic. (socal).. If driving a manual is fun, then I don't see what the problem is driving this "fun" car in traffic. lol

------
5at are sold because most Americans can't drive stick.

A good majority of cars all over the world are manual. The only country that has majority of drivers buying autos are America and Canada.

It's called "standard" for a reason.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
I relax all the time when the car is in neutral. In the 5at, you have to constantly press on the brakes.
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. You know, in the 5AT, there's a thing call trip tronic. Meaning when traffic is slowing down, instead of hitting the brakes, I DOWNSHIFT. Mmkay?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:20 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
What is your right hand and left foot doing that you can't use it when driving?

If your right feet is able to punch the gas and hit the brakes, why can't your left foot be used to hit the clutch?

So for me, I have no issues in stop and go traffic. (socal).. If driving a manual is fun, then I don't see what the problem is driving this "fun" car in traffic. lol

------
5at are sold because most Americans can't drive stick.

A good majority of cars all over the world are manual. The only country that has majority of drivers buying autos are America and Canada.

It's called "standard" for a reason.
Does it really matter THAT much to you why some choose an automatic over a manual?? I mean really....why do some of you care so freakin much why some choose an AT over an MT or vice versa. Jeebus!

People have their OWN preferences, why is that so hard to understand?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 on the last comment, since i ve been using the manual mode i use the brakes less and less.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Does it really matter THAT much to you why some choose an automatic over a manual?? I mean really....why do some of you care so freakin much why some choose an AT over an MT or vice versa. Jeebus!

People have their OWN preferences, why is that so hard to understand?
+1. I find it funny how some people are taking this so personal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6MT vs 5AT