G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

6MT vs 5AT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by herrschaft
I have 2 problems with the automatic: It shifts too slow and it needs at least one more gear. I'm running too high of RPM's at only 80mph.
I agree but get the valve body mod and its a whole different ballgame.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright guys, i have 3 friends that have g35s one of them has 6mt and the others have autos.
Last night we all went out to dinner, after dinner i asked my friend if i could drive his 6mt because i have only driven a auto g35.
So anyways he said yeah go ahead, so i drove it and i must say it was hella fun. like others have said, its not the best manual but i still liked it.
The only thing i think i wont like is driving it daily.

So I have to decided between fun as heck or luxury.
Also my dad has a car dealership so i will most likely get my car from the auction because it's much cheaper that way,
there hasn't been a clean 6mt in auction yet, but theres alot of autos

Old 01-30-2010, 05:37 PM
There are a lot of AT's because they get used and passed on by the average man/women who has no interest in cars what so ever. Someone who has a manual usually gets it because they are into cars somewhat and they keep them with the intentions of using it.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:37 PM
I really hate to say this. but truly manual transmissions are going to be a thing of the past. The GTR isn't even available with 6MT. I predict that sooner or later you won't be able to get G35 with a 6MT.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Well since they moved to the G37, no you can't, or not new at least. But you can always find a used one in MT. I think they will always have manual. Maybe limited, but still there.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a driver through and through to my core and driving a manual will always be my preference...no matter what the driving conditions. As someone said early in this thread, you really do become in full control of the car's handling and acceleration with a manual tranny.

However, I also make decisions based on priorities. I opted for the 5AT when my wife was pregnant and we were in the market for a new car. We needed something that she could drive (doesn't fair so well with shifting gears) as well as something I would enjoy driving (G35 vs. an SUV). For convenience with a baby, she wanted the sedan. Being a 2-door *****, I wanted a coupe. I sold my wife on the coupe's styling, so the deal was getting a 5AT.

I truly enjoy the 5AT, surprisingly. Of all the cars in the G35's class and price range that we test drove, this transmission had the best response and control (tip-tronic mode). I've had mine for almost a year now and still enjoy going for drives in manual mode, and yes, a full-sized baby stroller will actually fit in the G's TINY trunk

Old 01-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I got the 5AT because I was unaware the 6MT was available for the sedan. Thought it was a coupe only thing.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
There are a lot of AT's because they get used and passed on by the average man/women who has no interest in cars what so ever. Someone who has a manual usually gets it because they are into cars somewhat and they keep them with the intentions of using it.
I have an automatic. I belong to a car club and I am VERY interested in cars. The car scene is large here in SOCAL and I do know how to drive stick.
I drive the hell out of my car. 2-3 times a month a group of various cars will meet up and head to Julian Mt(Youtube). 100+miles of twists and turns. Completely rebuilt the suspension to haul *** on these roads and the automatic tranny does the job well.

If the G35 was a sports car then I would have bought the manual. Yes, these cars will get up and move but they are not that fast. Unless of course your boosted and putting down some real power then an auto would be out of the question.

Since I don't officially drag my car an auto suits me just fine. Love the bias assumptions.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
If the G35 was a sports car then I would have bought the manual. Yes, these cars will get up and move but they are not that fast. Unless of course your boosted and putting down some real power then an auto would be out of the question.

so i guess cars such as the 350z, cayman S, nsx, e46 M3's, s2000, etc. are not sports cars cause they're not "boosted and putting down real power". hmmm.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Sadly enough my Redline woulda spanked this car by a half second on the track. I bet it would even out pace it on the auto X track. But I love the all-around finesse this car carries in all types of driving styles. I also believe that a truly good driver comes from a manual transmission background. That's a pass/fail type of learning curve. You either get it or don't. I still love the auto on this car though.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:30 PM
so i guess cars such as the 350z, cayman S, nsx, e46 M3's, s2000, etc. are not sports cars cause they're not "boosted and putting down real power". hmmm.
They are. The 350Z is obviously the closest compared to a G but was designed from the ground up specifically for performance. Same with the M3, yet they have luxury as well. The G is heavy, has a softer suspension, and I believe is classified as sport luxury. All of the cars you listed above perform well on the track.

Yes, G's have decent power and a nice suspension compared to most but personally I do not consider them to be an actual sports car.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Back to our regularly scheduled program folks. OP wanted opinions on 6spd VS. 5AT. No need to ge pissy about wether the car is or is not sporty, IT IS. If you have a 5AT and regret not getting a 6MT, sorry. It's an entirely different animal, you can't even begin to compare the two. It's not a Porsche or a Corvette but, it's quite a deal for the $$$$. However, as a DD anythig but the 5AT would absolutely suck. Others have even compared the manual to driving a delivery truck, don't know I've never driven one. Guess it's just different things to all folks.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
I have an automatic. I belong to a car club and I am VERY interested in cars. The car scene is large here in SOCAL and I do know how to drive stick.
I drive the hell out of my car. 2-3 times a month a group of various cars will meet up and head to Julian Mt(Youtube). 100+miles of twists and turns. Completely rebuilt the suspension to haul *** on these roads and the automatic tranny does the job well.

Since I don't officially drag my car an auto suits me just fine. Love the bias assumptions.
I didn't mean for it to sound like every AT driver is like that. Just a lot of them. And I guarantee that half the AT drivers on this site are either young teenagers, or people who know nothing about cars but heard the G35 was "cool".

Old 01-31-2010, 03:14 AM
PM sent

Old 01-31-2010, 03:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I live in Chicago, deal with rush hour almost everyday, and just couldn't pass up the black on black with the set of Blizzak's at no additional cost from the original owner.

5AT ftw.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6MT vs 5AT