Taking my G to college

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iiiiiekoiiiii
g35 is still considered a nice car?
lol. sure.

i'm guessing that you will be living on campus.... if so, if you don't mind a few
door dings and if you car is not a garage queen, then you should be fine.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
yea I guess I got used to it after the 2nd door ding... Ppl dont give a fok bout ur car n theirs too...

i ment it as g35s are so common but on campus should be 3series n nice cars are m3s lol. g35s just park anywhere =X

Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by HenryLee
That's exactly what I did. For going home on weekends, picking up food & groceries, and going to class after 5pm. But dont cover it, seriously attract attention. Are you going to dorm or get an apartment? Seriously depends on where you park. My apt was pretty secure so I had no problem. But there are many kids w/ beemers and mercs. When I was going there were supposed to be some vipers and nsx's.

Oh theres also a gainesville G and Z club so you should go out to some of the meets.
I just filled out my housing application, and chose Beaty (apartments), Broward and Jennings. Either way, they're all on-campus housing...

Old 03-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts
I went to UF for all my 5.5 years of undergrad lol. I never really had a problem when living on campus. My car got the bumper fuc ked up once off campus but it wasn't keyed or anything, just someone backing up from a party.

If you're gonna live in Beaty, just park in Norman garage or third floor of Broward garage and you'll be fine. Dont' worry, there's gonna be wayyy nicer cars parked around you. There're lots of mercedes and beamers from the south florida kids, some porsches too. And lots of G35s.

Ps. DONT park anywhere where they tow, they'll tow you in literally 10 mins.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:27 PM
G35 6MT
If there's ANY way you can avoid bringing it -- then avoid bringing it. Buy a beater or take some form of public transportation.

I've been to three colleges, and while I never had much of anything happen to either my G35 or my last car while on the campuses -- I'm pretty convinced it was pure dumb luck. And the fact that at the first college, I either parked in the farthest corner of the farthest commuter lot, or took the bus. And at the second college, I took the train and only drove to campus twice.

My current campus is relatively small, the area is moderately rural and the ratio of *******s to normal people is on the nice side. Even still, I drive my boyfriend's Del Sol every chance I get, rather than take my G to classes.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by ConradoR
I went to UF for all my 5.5 years of undergrad lol. I never really had a problem when living on campus. My car got the bumper fuc ked up once off campus but it wasn't keyed or anything, just someone backing up from a party.

If you're gonna live in Beaty, just park in Norman garage or third floor of Broward garage and you'll be fine. Dont' worry, there's gonna be wayyy nicer cars parked around you. There're lots of mercedes and beamers from the south florida kids, some porsches too. And lots of G35s.

Ps. DONT park anywhere where they tow, they'll tow you in literally 10 mins.
Thanks, that really helps.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
I've been driving my G to school since Fall of 08. No damage to it yet. I even drove our M5 for about 6 weeks (that was nerve racking).

My G35 did get hit in the Fry's Electronics parking lot though, so I doubt it's colleges, it's everywhere that people can't drive. At least the guy waited...

Old 03-02-2010, 02:01 PM
If your school has underground parking, I suggest taking it.

My car, along with the Ferrari I park beside, is under surveilence 24/7. But then again, my campus is small and my car is considered a "beater"

Old 03-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by wise-1
If your school has underground parking, I suggest taking it.

My car, along with the Ferrari I park beside, is under surveilence 24/7. But then again, my campus is small and my car is considered a "beater"

Old 03-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
G
I'm not very familiar with UF at all (since I'm from the West Coast), but perhaps the advice I was given will benefit you in some way.

I attend UC Berkeley, and I have my G up here. I no longer live in the dorms but have an apartment instead with a [lowered friendly ] parking garage. I usually bike or walk to class, especially since parking is so difficult here.

I've had pretty good luck so far, except one night when I parked outside of my fraternity, someone hit and ran my car and left a HUGE dent in my driver's side door. Insurance took care of it, but as it is a college town, with students who don't have much money, no note was left.

Basically, if you can get to school without using your car and if you want to "preserve" the condition of your G as it is right now, find a parking garage of an apartment close by to where you live and keep your G there (you will have to pay a monthly fee for the spot, obviously). School parking lots are dangerous because people are constantly going in and out of the place, which is why I never bought a school parking lot permit (they're pretty expensive, too, up here).

Always keep valuable stuff inside of your car hidden, or just don't keep it inside. I know a few guys with G's whose audio system and photography equipment were stolen.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i hope you find what you are looking for. you know what i mean.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:26 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I'm taking my G to college next year, but i have a sedan, that will be on stock suspension with 17s so it wont stick out as much as a modded coupe.

But at my school (North Dakota State) there are only 4 other Infinitis here (an I35, and 3 G20s). So i'll ahve the only G35. I know there is a Lexus IS250 AWD up here and an IS250 RWD as well, along with a BMW 335i, and of those kids, none of them had issues and park at the back of the big lot (which has tons of space and never fills up unless you park at the front)

Kids around here are pretty respectful, and most go home on the weekends anyways, so i am not overly concerned with it. I'll have a room facing the lot next year so i can keep an eye on it all day.