G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Theft nightmare.... gets worse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theft nightmare.... gets worse

I dunno if u guys read it or not but a kid took my keys and took my car joyriding one night and curbed my rim. i called his dad tonight since i got my estimate and he freaked out and hung up on me a minute into the phone call...... i told my dad and he said he's calling a lawyer and pressing charges tommorow....... im gonna talk to the kid at school and call his dad again..... but i dunno what the deal is.

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 09-13-2004, 11:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Theft nightmare.... gets worse

sorry to hear about your car and your 'incident.' Joyriding is a criminal offense, so you should be able to settle with some good amount of cash unless the kid wants to go to court and even look at possible jail time + many hours of community service.

"Unauthorized Use of a Vehicle becomes more serious when you commit it as an adult. New laws are making the sentencing more serious for these and other property offenses. As an adult, if you have one prior Unauthorized Use of a Vehicle conviction, you can automatically get 13 months or more in prison."

2004 G35C 6MT Bright Silver

Old 09-14-2004, 12:05 AM

well my estimate for the wheel alone is 1070 dollars.... my dad has lawyers that work full time for him... so its not like it would even be a big deal for me and my family. I wonder whats going through that guy's head.... thinking that its a good idea to mess with us when he's in no position to negotiate...... If worst comes to worst im going to call the police tommorow and file a report.... after it goes to criminal court i would end up going to civil court (prolly small claims...) it doesnt really suck that bad for me... just a lot of headache and trouble for something that i shouldnt have to deal with....

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 09-14-2004, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sue the heck out of him, man.

Anyone touches my G like that .... deserves to get their life and future screwed.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:47 AM

im gonna talk to the kid tommorow and just say straight up that im trying to be cool and keep my dad from sueing (my dads first desire) and that he's not really helping any

Houston Texas

Old 09-14-2004, 02:02 AM

I never let anyone touch my keys. I'm too scared they'll f*ck something up. I'm sure you didn't mean to either, I'm sure he'll learn his lesson when you're (your dad?) is done with him.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 09-14-2004, 02:12 AM

don't turn to sueing right away... sad how thats become the american way... Try to negotiate with the guy some more, im sure he'll come around. What he did was [censored] up, but still, avoid yourself a bigger headache and try to negotiate.

2003 6MT Laser Red Coupe, Premium, Chrome 18's, JWT Pop Charger, Z Tube- back in action

Old 09-14-2004, 02:17 AM

1070 for a wheel? Maybe it's just me but that sounds rather high. What kind of wheel are we talking about here? I can't imagine Volk wheels even getting that high as a reaslitic street price.

And personally, I don't think it's right to hold pressing charges over they guy's head to get money. The civil case should speak for itself. It's almost a form of blackmail. Either press criminal charges or don't. But don't use the fact that you can as a point of argument. It's chicken [censored] if you ask me. If what you are asking for is fair and reasonable then you should have no problem proving it in a civil trial.

I understand the whole situation is upsetting and in now way am I defending this person's actions. But consider what you are essentially doing. It's almost like holding the kid hostage for ransom. Perhaps the value is justified, but the means certainly is not.

Old 09-14-2004, 02:43 AM
Z2G

ckwik,
you forget that raznips has already been very patient and sympathetic in the whole situation and considers pressing charges as a last resort. if the "perp" or his parents aren't willing to pay for the damages, then pressing charges would be the only viable solution. also, it doesn't matter what appears high. if he has actual quotes for his damages, then he is entitled to recoup those losses. and it's not blackmail. it's the correct, legal response in order to pursue legal action against the perpetrator.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:12 AM

I disagree. Criminal charges are for punishment. Civil cases are for recovering damages and should not be a form of punishement but rather a form of indemnity. Basically, just getting what you are owed. It is easy for most people to confuse and tie the two together. I hear from many people in my work who feel they should claim more damages than they actually have in an accident to "punish" an at fault party.

So again, if there is intent to punish this person for criminal charges then do so on that principle alone. The damages are a separate issue. If they refuse to pay the damages, then it should remain a civil matter and be decided in a civil court case.

Even if he has quotes, does that preclude a defendant from questioning the quote or having an opportunity to find a better price? Does that mean insurance companies should pay for an overpriced repair because someone has a high estimate for damages, which would result in higher premiums for everyone? I have no problem with someone getting back a fair and reasonable settlement for their damages. But I do not agree with using unethical methods to get them. If that were the case people might as well go to other people's houses and demand they get paid back by holding a gun to their heads. Where do we draw the line?

As far as blackmail, think about it. Holding criminal charges over someone's head to get money? If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck... And the correct legal response would be to file civil charges to recover damages.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:49 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

im gonna talk to the kid tommorow

<hr></blockquote>
That is a very good idea, but from past experience I'd say that's a bad idea as well. I had a problem with a kid sitting on my motorcycle without my permission, dropped it and did about $1600 worth of damage. The kid was straight foward saying he'd pay damages and such. When time came to collect he called state police and told them I was harrassing and threatening him when I did nothing, so just word of advice....Have a witness if you confront him!

2004.5 Diamond Graphite G35c 6MT - Picking up this thursday
2005 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol Replica - Spring Delivery

Old 09-14-2004, 06:16 AM

And personally, I don't think it's right to hold pressing charges over they guy's head to get money. The civil case should speak for itself. It's almost a form of blackmail. Either press criminal charges or don't. But don't use the fact that you can as a point of argument. It's chicken [censored] if you ask me. If what you are asking for is fair and reasonable then you should have no problem proving it in a civil trial.

<hr></blockquote> Wow! I never thought of it that way. I guess you're right! The only thing I would do now (after agreeing with your post) is press criminal charges. It should not up to RazNips to decide whether these charges should or should not be pressed (obviously because of the potential conflict of interest), the charges should simply be filed and be sorted out in the legal system.

RazNips, File charges and get your dad's lawyer to file a lawsuit for your money that you are rightfully owed. This kid’s criminal activity and negligence are the reason you are financially set back. Make this kid own up to his responsibilities, that's my "new" advice.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:28 AM

Given what you've described, and assuming you're quite young, I would advise you to let your father handle it. Chances are he will be able to settle it with the other kid's father without legal action. Best of luck to you.

Old 09-14-2004, 03:51 PM

...if the "perp" or his parents...

<hr></blockquote>

HEHE the "perp".

-JustICE

Old 09-14-2004, 04:06 PM

first thing i would have done would be to kick the kids ***. how did he get the keys in the first place?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Theft nightmare.... gets worse