G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

High beams stopped working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys/gals. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I have an '03 G35 coupe and the high beams both went out at the same time the other night. I checked the fuses and the relays, they are both in working order. Also, the fogs and lows both work and the high beam indicator is showing on the dash when I flip it to high beams.

I'm assuming both bulbs did not burn out at the exact same time so any ideas on what it could be/how to diagnose it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I noticed the dash lights don't come on unless the key is in the ON position. They should come on when I turn the lights on no matter what right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I know on my 06 since it's projector housing, the bulbs aren't different- the high beam is activated by I believe some actuator or something in the housing that 'lifts' the beam up. So the Low/High beam is all one unit.

With you 03 I believe it's the same thing since the bottom bulb is still your fogs just like in my 06. Have you tried replacing the bulbs just in case? I know some of the early 03 sedans came standard with halogen bulbs, not sure if your coupe has halogen or xenon.

Hopefully I can help you out a bit more with a tad bit more info.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
You doubt it's the bulbs, but did you check them yet? If you simply pull the bulb, you should be able to see when a filament is broken.

Last edited by dofu; 04-12-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^+1

Old 04-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The fogs/hi-beams on the G are the same bulb as the single low/hi beams on '00-01 Maximas. They're not too expensive. Just change them.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:34 AM
Alright will change the high beams tomorrow or Thursday just in case that could be the problem. But if that doesn't work and I know it's not the fuses or the relays, then from what I have been reading it sounds like it could be the ballast control unit? Is there just one ballast or are there 2, one behind each head light? Forgive me for ignorance on this subject, I have been searching but I cannot find anything on how to change them (the ballasts).

Old 04-13-2011, 02:43 AM
While H4 are hi/low, Infiniti uses Xenon (HID) for the low beam driving light and the H4 bulbs for high beam/fog light. The ballasts are for the Xenons which are located above the high beams and will have no relation to your high beams.

And if you are getting your high beam and low beams mixed up, well, Xenons will have one ballast per bulb, and these very rarely go out at the same time unless you have a cheap HID kit installed in place of the H4s.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's an H4 bulb so your high beams can go out and still have lowbeam/foglights. First thing you should do obviously is to replace the bulbs.

And when i have my keys turn to ACC, no dash lights, just accessory lights.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I switched all 4 bulbs to HIDs. I've had my system in for almost 3 years. All of a sudden yesterday my passenger bulbs went out. Turns out the fuses were blown. Keep in mind the driver still worked. But after I replaced the bulbs, I checked voltage at the lines and everything was running at 12v. But after I connected the HID ballast the fuse keeps blowing! Could the issue be at the relay instead or maybe a short in the wire some how?? Thoughts??? pls and thank you!

Old 04-15-2011, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by ERILUDE
I switched all 4 bulbs to HIDs. I've had my system in for almost 3 years. All of a sudden yesterday my passenger bulbs went out. Turns out the fuses were blown. Keep in mind the driver still worked. But after I replaced the bulbs, I checked voltage at the lines and everything was running at 12v. But after I connected the HID ballast the fuse keeps blowing! Could the issue be at the relay instead or maybe a short in the wire some how?? Thoughts??? pls and thank you!
If you have one of the earlier model G35s without Xenons and you bought cheap aftermarket HID kits, get rid of them and either get something of better quality or just stick with the stock setup. Of the top of my head, I'd think you either have too much ground or not enough, but I haven't played with enough of those cheap HID kits to have that much knowledge about them. For all I know, it could be a short in the wiring somewhere or even just a bad installation.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Yeah mine is an 03. I did get a bit sloppy on the install and didn't fuse the passenger side so I'm assuming it effected the passenger wiring some how. I'm thinking now I may have to run a line direct from the fuse box bypassing the factory wiring completely. Obviously, I'd have to connect it to the non powered side of the fuse box to protect the circuitry further but I'm still at a loss as to how the ballast blow fuses on the passenger side but work just fine on the driver??! smh

Old 07-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ERILUDE
Yeah mine is an 03. I did get a bit sloppy on the install and didn't fuse the passenger side so I'm assuming it effected the passenger wiring some how. I'm thinking now I may have to run a line direct from the fuse box bypassing the factory wiring completely. Obviously, I'd have to connect it to the non powered side of the fuse box to protect the circuitry further but I'm still at a loss as to how the ballast blow fuses on the passenger side but work just fine on the driver??! smh
im having the same problem w/ my stock HID on my passenger side, the fog lights are fine but that HID keeps blowin those fuses! last time i cracked it open i did notice some corrosion in the ballast so im guessing water had gotten in there at one point. ima do a continuity check first n then if that comes up bad ima clean it out n tryn get it working again! such a PITA to get in there tho :/

Old 05-01-2020, 12:22 PM
Coupe, lowered

Mine did the same thing, turned to be the high beam switch

Old 05-06-2020, 01:46 AM
6MT Coupe with some mods
If the fog lights work then the high beam should work since they are the same bulb (For Xenon models), try changing it, there are really good LED ones on Amazon you can put instead, I switched mine out and it makes a huge difference.
And if you want to get the one with fans (Id recommend fanless ones tho) there is enough space in the housing for the fan and the wiring.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:28 PM
Stock
Any Resolution to this??

So I have the same issues on a 2005 Coupe

My High beams are not working... I have brand new bubs and I installed those SPec D head light and I am pretty sure the high beams worked before and after, Well I know 100% they worked before I did the install

( I am new to the 35) But I replaced the yellowing headlights with the spec d units and I tested everything before buttoning up everything back up. Then one day I turned on the light and I think I had them on auto and they
shut down with the High beams on while I was taking picture of the car. From there I have not had High beams.

As I said I am new to this car and learning more about it but sadly I am not having much luck with the high beams

I downloaded the factory service manual and I checked all the coloured fuses for continuity; all was well.
I am not sure how to test the relays... The owner before me some how lost the bloody fuse box over so
so I have a print out of the location and operation of the fuses and relays.

I keep reading about this body control module but I am not sure where this is on the car.

Also let me ask this... The stock headlights have a yellow wire that clips onto a nipple like structure on the metal ring that locks the bulb in place...
I think that was on the the high beams lights. The aftermarket lights had no place for this yellow wire to clip on to.

Could that be my problem ? does that wire need to be connected? I will ask this in its own thread... just putting that question out there though.

Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High beams stopped working