G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

My '03 IP Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '03 IP Coupe

Hey guys,

I've been slowly modding my G, one weekend project after another. I'm just condensing my posts to make a build thread. Thanks to all the comments from members on my old thread; I've also linked DIYs as I take on each project.
I'm always willing to answer questions and take more pictures, and I love comments so leave a post! =D

03-20-2011

Pictures!

My clear corners... I was warned someone might steal them. XD

The Z is the boyfriend's.

It was hard to find an IP with black interior. ^^ Carpets are coming! Will post a picture of painted door pulls next.

03-22-2011

Posting pictures of my repainted door pull trim. Used this DIY.

03-28-2011

Finally got my CF grill and diffuser! The fitment is okay. The grill has space between the top and the hood while the bottom is very snug. The diffuser is a little short so one side is really snug and the other.. not so much.

ViS Carbon Fiber grill installed using this DIY. Honestly, I think my b/f ended up breaking one of the clips that attaches it the the bumper because it wouldn't budge. The ViS Grill had no clips on the top. So we bought new plugs to hold it in. Another thing I noticed. The bottom of the mesh in the grill seems to be missing paint,; will need to get something to paint that in.

ViS Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser. Installed with 3M Super Strength Molding tape and 4 screws. 2 on each side from under the car, 2 under the license plate.

Installation woes...
I attached the tape to the car, and we had two people push the diffuser on to the tape, holding it for about 5 mins. We let go.. and the diffuser popped off. The diffuser had a folded over edge where we were supposed to attach the tape. We looked at the tape and the diffuser and discovered that the diffuser had a layer of paint on the folder over edge that came off when we scratched it with a fingernail. The 3M tape was just pulling that paint layer off. We proceeded to scrape off all the paint and wiped it down again with alcohol. I also noticed that the contact of the diffuser and bumper wasn't flush either.. only very few parts of the tape made contact with the diffuser and pulled paint off. So I used two layers of 3M tape. It stuck! Proceeded to do the 4 screws. There were 2 more screw holes predrilled on the diffuser but the area it was against on the diffuser was some metal plate so we just skipped it.

Unfortunately, the next day I saw this.

The two layers of tape were separating. This happened only on one side.. the side I was pushing in so maybe it didn't have as good of a contact. So I had my b/f try and push the diffuser back in place. We'll see how that holds.

04-05-2011

New pictures! Clean and demolded.

04-26-2011

Before:

After:

04-26-2011

I'm very happy with how my overlay and it was quite easy to do. I used this DIY.

I did it with 2 people. Washed the car, wiped it down with soapy water. Tried to clay bar.. and gave up.
I laid the overlay on top of the car, backing side up, and peeled off the backing, using a wet towel to get the sticky side wet.
Flipped it over, moved it in place and started squeegeeing out the water. Patience comes in because we had to lift it up and lay it down again to get rid of some of the air bubbles.
While the backing is still wet, you can push the bubbles out with your thumb, but if it's dry, it will just create "worms" where the vinyl just sticks to itself.
Getting the edge of the sunroof to bend and stick took time and I did end up making some cuts to make it bend easier.
Finishing required the most problem solving and caused the most problems for me. I had to trim the edges of the overlay and tuck it into the seams and edges of the car... which caused some air pockets at the edge and I actually ripped a small corner as well. Don't drag a card against the overlay without something between the two >.>

Alot of the small dots that I saw on the install disappeared by the next day. The creases from shipping also disappeared. Heat is your friend during the end. Didn't really use the hairdryer I had set up at all.
My coupe is '03 so the trim around the moonroof is faded. I will try the trim restore kit on it to make it much darker.

And because pictures are awesome..

04-03-2011

I need a higher perch ^^ I will go take some more pictures closer to eye level if you like.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
Welcome!! Look's like you're off to a good start

Perhaps a debadge of the Infiniti emblems next? hehe

Old 05-04-2011, 02:25 AM
I only took off the G35 part. I like the balance of the rest of the badge.

That reminds me though, I wanted to get a G35 frame for the back.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:33 AM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Looking great so far!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:43 AM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
Any plans for anything else? A lip or something maybe?

I know you love those SF-Challenges though.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:49 AM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Great start, i remember when i got my G all i could afford was gas at the time lol. Off topic but judging from the two coffees in the car youre viet? Lol

Old 05-04-2011, 02:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kimaya
I only took off the G35 part. I like the balance of the rest of the badge.

That reminds me though, I wanted to get a G35 frame for the back.
hey amy, its Shon.

i have a "G35 Driver license plate" if you want it free.

ill be back in norcal on the 20th dropping off car parts again. so lmk if you want it ill bring it

Old 05-04-2011, 02:54 AM
I'd love to do more but as of right now I'm at (meaning past) my budget. =D

Up close, the paint on my bumper is in bad shape... death to rock chips. If I were to do anything, it would be to get the Nismo bumper. I was quoted at $400 to paint a new bumper IP, and only because it was a special connection.
Then a drop and wheels (SF-Challenges <3).

Next weekend project will be either HID lights or front license removal. Someone used screws that are way too long and I have a lot of repairing to do.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by oneup
Great start, i remember when i got my G all i could afford was gas at the time lol. Off topic but judging from the two coffees in the car youre viet? Lol
lol, chinese actually. I don't know how you guessed Viet from two McDonald's coffees. ^^

Old 05-04-2011, 03:04 AM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Oh snaps those were mcdonalds? Lol i thought they were those asian to-go places lol

Yea our color is very expensive to paint, i was charged 550 for my nismo.
What are you planing to do with your headlights? 6k bulbs?

Old 05-04-2011, 04:29 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
looks like its coming along nicely.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:22 PM
You are doing a great job with your car! I also think it is great that you are taking pictures of the before and after.

Fabian

Old 05-04-2011, 11:29 PM
look nice good job!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
Great work so far keep it up!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts
Nice nice. What do you plan to use to drop your G (coils,springs..)?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My '03 IP Coupe